Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

child care in galway

• 13-09-2009 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

my wife got a PhD felowship at nuig and we have no ideea how the childcare system works.
    we have a 14 month old girl and we planned for my wife to stay home until the lil one willl be 2 ( so plenty of time to find out details..)
    can anyone who is more familiar with this aspect of parrenting can give us some info?
    much appreciated.

cheers

K

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Check and see if the University have a childcare facility for staff and students.
    It may even be subsidised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Dfens

Hi Kosmo,
    NUIG has a creche that takes children ranging in ages from babies <1 yrs up to afterschool age. The creche is near to the main campus, on the RHS of Newcastle road heading towards the Westwood Hotel. The number for the creche is 091-493739 where they will be able to give you more information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭trish23

I would advise you to enrol your child now. Any of the good creches in Galway have a long waiting list. I remember looking in Jan '07 for a place for my daughter for May. One creche told me they were booked until Sept '08 (!?) Found a good one that I'm very happy with & that she loves but give yourself time to choose rather than just accept.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 kosmo

how do i know which creche is good and which is not?
    what would be your criteria of selection?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Visit a few and get a feeling for them,
    Talk to other parents.
    The hse also publish a book to help you but not sure where onlnie it is if it is online.
    Ring them as they have loads of info too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement