Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private Airfield west of Dublin airport

Options
  • 13-09-2009 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭

Hi there...

I was coming in to land in Dublin airport on Saturday. We were landing heading East ( runway 10 I think ) so we flew West, to the South of the Airport, and then turned to the North to line up with the runway. While we were turning I saw what looked like a private tarmac airfield below us.

It was just a single tarmac runway, with a wider area at each end to allow turning. There were 2 or 3 small aircraft parked nearby, and also what looked like a very grand country house, which I think was on the same grounds.

Anyone know what or where this is? Thanks!

J.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

if ya coming overhead od ballyboughal ok its a bit north of dub there is a farm strip a little outside of the town thats now tarmac big enough house near it too but cant remember the guys name that owns it though. but ya may have seen weston.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭jasonb

Thanks for your replies...

I'm pretty certain it's not Weston. In fact, if the attached is Weston, then what I saw definitely isn't Weston...

It was more of a single small tarmac runway, something along these lines ( I had to use the dots to get the spacing right, try to imagine they're not there at all! )

--.........................--

With the two lower lines being the larger area at each end so planes can turn.

Ballboughal looks to be far too north, considering we were landing on runway 10. Thanks for the suggestion though!

J.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Here you go,three airfield that can be seen on the approach to DUB. The last one I assume is the one you saw.

Weston Aerodrome-
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tearbringer/3579259084/

Baldonnel-
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tearbringer/3523572728/

Dolly's Grove-Sorry for the bad shots,lots of low cloud that day!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tearbringer/2861566767/in/photostream/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tearbringer/2862396160/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

Yes it is Dolly's Grove, very much a private airstrip, nicely appointed though. Wouldn't we all like to own a nice tarmac private airport like that:)

Not sure who owns it but they operate a TBM-700, I think out out of there. I also saw an An-2 of all things parked there once.:cool:

• Advertisement

Thanks for your replies, it was indeed Dolly's Grove. How the other half live, eh? :)

J.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭mrs moneypenny

Is this the same place?
    TENERIFE MAY 2009 062.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭logie101

Is this the same place?
    TENERIFE MAY 2009 062.jpg

That's pretty cool. Does anyone know who owns this place? What aircraft are based here?

From the picture there is 3 aircraft parked on the apron. Too far away to see anything clearly. But the first one looks like a biplane of some description. Maybe a Pitts S2 or a Christain Eagle. The second one a high wing aircraft. Maybe a large Cessna.

And the third looks like an ex miltiary jet!!!

Anyone esle have any ideas?

That's exactly the same place. From what I can remember, there were 3 aircraft on the apron too, but I don't know what they were.

J.

The biplane was obviously the An-2 which is a biplane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dacian

logie101 wrote: »
    That's pretty cool. Does anyone know who owns this place? What aircraft are based here?

And the third looks like an ex miltiary jet!!!

Anyone esle have any ideas?
    Looking at the photos Tenger posted....someone has just commented that it is a harrier...looking that the guys photos (eiejb) he seems to be a prolific military spotter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

I believe that present at Dolly's Grove are the An-2 as mentioned, ex-RAF Harrier XZ995 and L-29 Delfin ES-YLK which is depicted here when it was at Cork:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Aero-L-29-Delfin/0849423/M/

Dacian wrote: »
    Looking at the photos Tenger posted....someone has just commented that it is a harrier...looking that the guys photos (eigjb) he seems to be a prolific military spotter.

He's a prolific man indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

EchoIndia wrote: »
    .........ex-RAF Harrier XZ995.....
    WHo is the owner and how do you manage to get an ex-RAF Harrier into Ireland. Assume it is registered on the civilian list? How does a civilian even get checked out on a Harrier?

Quiet mood,they take up the AN-2, if emotions are high, the Harrier gets a work out!

Tenger wrote: »
    WHo is the owner and how do you manage to get an ex-RAF Harrier into Ireland. Assume it is registered on the civilian list? How does a civilian even get checked out on a Harrier?

Quiet mood,they take up the AN-2, if emotions are high, the Harrier gets a work out!

The Harrier arrived dismantled on a truck and is not airworthy. Nor, as far as I know, are the other two machines I mentioned.

I doubt the Harrier is airworthy. It is probably just a display.

logie101 wrote: »
    I doubt the Harrier is airworthy. It is probably just a display.

Well its certainly beats showing the neighbours the new patio or decking!!

Well its certainly beats showing the neighbours the new patio or decking!!

:pac: It certainly does...

If he gets it airworthy he can take up the role of providing air defence of the country from the aircorp.:D

Whoever the owner is, he's an aircraft enthusiast that's for sure. He isn't the same person who owns the Buccaneer in Weston by any chance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

Looking at the photo, he's seems to be a golf enthusiast too with a nice practice area out the front garden!!

Whoever it is, I want to be him!!

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭N7777G

EchoIndia wrote: »
    He's a prolific man indeed!

almost as prolific as yourself EchoIndia!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

Very nice! Notice the lack of runway numbers or other ICAO stuff, so it doesnt need to be in any way licencesd or approved by the IAA? does it have a EIxx designator?

No it has no designator, at one stage it was almost Ireland's area 51 what with all the rumours but of course, it's just a private strip of which Ireland is littered with. The only difference is this one has a nice tarmac strip and a hangar.

A bit of googling turned up a few names. It is in fact owned by a builder unsurprisingly and the house was acquired it for €3.5 million in 2001. Clearly someone there likes his aircraft.

I often saw the TBM heading in or out when I was living in Dublin.

I would love to start a collection of old aircraft at my own private strip. I'm glad someone is living my dream, just a pity it isn't me. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

As I understand it, the millionaire builder has a son whose every whim is satisfied by a wealthy father. The son is a "film director" on occasion as well as being a pilot and has had built the runway for him. I think there have been other whims with the father's funding including threatening to build an indoor artificial snow ski slope. He apparently has his ppl and uses that in making his films.

Richard Larkin is the name of the son.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

Would be a great cheap way to practice circuits if you could get friends with those guys :) No landing fees!

Terrontress that's a tad harsh. There are worse things to do with your money. No need for begrudgery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Terrontress that's a tad harsh. There are worse things to do with your money. No need for begrudgery.

Well, maybe it is harsh and begrudging. I didn't think so when I wrote it but upon reading it.....

If I had that kind of money, I dare say I'd spend it on all sorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dacian

If I had that kind of money, I dare say I'd spend it on all sorts.

Well I if had the money I would buy the Norman style castle in St.Margarets (not sure of the name,can be seen on the left at 30 seconds before touch down on RWY10). I would sit up there with beer/wine wearing my specially fitted suit of armour, watching planes take off over my head while my personal photographer took the shots for me!

I might also buy EI an airbus and lease it to them on the condition its named after me!

• Advertisement

Was there a St Dacian? As for the castle, I'm pretty sure that's Dunsoghly Castle. Trivia warning: It was used as a set in 'Braveheart'. I'm guessing there were a few 'cuts' as jets flew into frame.:cool:

Anyone who learned to fly in Dublin in the eighties before 28/10 was built will know Dunsoghly Castle well as we were invariably requested to;'Hold at Dunsoghly Castle' for up to half an hour at a time.:mad:

Advertisement