Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LOOKING FOR AN IRISH SETTER

Options
  • 13-09-2009 10:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

does anyone here know where i can get a setter from a rescue centre. i have a 3/4 acre site and a good sized house. we have been dogless for a while now and need one soon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Do check out rescues they do come up a good bit esp. when people realise how much energy they have. They are complete Houdinis too and can scale high fencing. Gorgeous dogs though.

Had one when we were kids, tall wall around 8 feet high surrounded the whole garden, then about a foot or wire on top and she still scaled it.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Call me Socket

Limerick Animal Welfare has a beautiful Setter- she's so petite for her breed, absolutely gorgeous with an incredibly shiny and rich red coat..... She's not listed on the LAW website, and I don't even know if she's still available for adoption as I haven't been at the sanctuary in a couple of weeks, but you won't know if you don't ask! The number is 063 91110- ring after 9am.

Best of luck!

PS- I know of a Setter crossbreed as well- if you're open to a non-pedigree let me know:)

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭dellytots

Try Dogs Aid This guy Conn is up on the website :)

http://www.dogsaid.ie/adoptable-dogs/486-conn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 bigaid1

Limerick Animal Welfare has a beautiful Setter- she's so petite for her breed, absolutely gorgeous with an incredibly shiny and rich red coat..... She's not listed on the LAW website, and I don't even know if she's still available for adoption as I haven't been at the sanctuary in a couple of weeks, but you won't know if you don't ask! The number is 063 91110- ring after 9am.

Best of luck!

PS- I know of a Setter crossbreed as well- if you're open to a non-pedigree let me know:)

the one in limerick is gone but thanks very much for the tip.
    any pics of the cross? what age? what sort of temperment? whats it crossed with?

i have had setters in the past and i am fully aware of the amount of energy that they have. i am not looking for something to show or take out with a gun, i am simply looking for the best family pet you can get

dellytots wrote: »
    Try Dogs Aid This guy Conn is up on the website :)

http://www.dogsaid.ie/adoptable-dogs/486-conn

sorry for seeming picky, but at 7 he is quite old for a house with children

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

bigaid1 wrote: »

Why so? We recently adopted a 10 year old dog into our house with our son and we have had no problems. If anything an older, calmer dog is better to have around children. I'm sure your children have been brought up to respect a dog's space so I don't see what the problem would be :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭macshadow

bigaid1 wrote: »

I have a red setter like conn in the link above, he is about 12 years old but you would think he was 3 or 4. I know you said you have had setters before so you know a setter pup would give a saint a nervous breakdown esp if he's an indoor dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Our recently adopted 10 year old is a setter/spaniel cross and has oodles of energy and fun in him, loves to play fetch, go on walks, is gentle with our son but is also happy to lie on his bed and rest. He came fully house trained and knowing all basic commands. People can't believe he is 10 when they see him on the go. I would not have the time or energy to deal with a puppy or young dog (and the dog of your dreams is high energy) plus my son.

Obviously, all dogs are different but it is simply untrue to say that an older dog cannot settle into a household with children, if that is your reason for not considering him. Furthermore, he could live for anything up to another 8 years.

That dog in the link is the exact breed you are looking for and maybe he might not be right for your family but to pass him over solely on the basis of him being 7 would be criminal and makes me sad :(

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭boardbrowser

If you want to PM me. I know of someone re- homing a gorgeous red setter X. 11 mth old neutered/micro chipped and vacinated dog. Great temperment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 countryhounds

Conn looks gorgeous and doesn't look 7 at all, I own 2 mad Irish Setters myself :D

• Advertisement

If you want to PM me. I know of someone re- homing a gorgeous red setter X. 11 mth old neutered/micro chipped and vacinated dog. Great temperment.

sorry i didn't see this sooner

i have just got one that fits the bill perfectly.
    1 year old, house trained, microchipped, lead trained, used in the car, and totally mad in the head once it gets out. previous owner did not have the time or energy to keep her properly. a lot of people take these into their home not knowing the care they require

now i am going to ask a controversial question.

the house she was in had her trained with a petsafe radio fence, are these cruel or just better than her chasing horses around a field, or getting hit by a car????

personally i think that anything that keeps a dog within the confines of its own site, can't be a bad thing

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Maybe put up fencing, i dont like those shock collars at all, the word "shock says it all really. Or buy a dog run, much safer and more humane.

andreac wrote: »
    Maybe put up fencing, i dont like those shock collars at all, the word "shock says it all really. Or buy a dog run, much safer and more humane.

can't stand seeing a dog in a run.
    setters need freedom to run, and i even think that 3/4 acre is just enough

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I know of three dogs near me with these collars and they don't seem to be working for them.
    One is a biter and on final chance, still gets out every day, not sure if she just runs though it. She's a mad hyper springer and not very friendly.
    There's a large lab who just walks out the gate with the thing beeping, I've seen it, he must be getting shocked but if he wants to say "hi" he will. He's friendly but very big ad scares the kids on the street when trying to join in games.
    Third one just sits with it beeping, battery goes flat, off he goes.
    So I think they're useless. Good fencing and plenty attention are prob best solution.

Advertisement