Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LaTeX problem

• 13-09-2009 10:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭

Hi, I am currently attempting to teach myself this thing, using the guide on WikiBooks. However, I'm barely into the beginners guide and I'm already running into trouble. Follow this link:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/LaTeX/Absolute_Beginners#A_Typical_Command_Line_Session

and below see the heading 'Generating the document'. Where they say:

1) Type the command: latex hello (the .tex extension is not required, although you can include it if you wish)

2) Various bits of info about LaTeX and its progress will be displayed

part 2) doesn't happen for me. I tried various different combinations, but nothing works.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

(You could just wait a couple of weeks until there's a seminar in Geary to get you started...)

What operating system do you have and what version of TeX do you have installed?

What output does the command line give you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Changed again, you crafty devil...

Hmm, sounds good. I will keep my ear out for it.

I have Windows Vista Home Premium and I installed this one:

http://www.tug.org/protext/

I get no output at all from the command.

Okay.

1. Create a file named hello.tex and place it in C:\docs (or whichever folder you want)

2. Start > Run > cmd. Opens the command window.

3. In the command window, type cd c:\docs. Changes directory.

4. In the command window, type latex hello. Compiles the hello.tex file.

5. Paste whatever output you get here plz.

Ah, they meant windows cmd? I didn't realise that. I thought they were still issuing commands within LaTeX. Anyway, a whole load of stuff came up and the last two lines were as described in the manual. Hopefully I will be ok from here in.

Thanks for that.

That process is a bit cumbersome though. ProTeXt comes with TeXnicCenter which I presume has a "Compile" button to automate the process. In fact I think F7 does it.

• Advertisement

That there is. I was wondering why command line was being used for tasks like that.

Perhaps you should be giving these seminars!

They couldn't afford me.

Advertisement