Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lily pads

Options
  • 13-09-2009 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

Hi

My horse is just in off grass and has very sensitive soles. WE have tried to toughen them up with epson salts etc but she still feels pebbles. Has anyone tried lilypads? Are they any good? Do they make the shoes more likely to fall off?

Advice would be much appreciated.
    H.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

I've never actually used them, but I know people who have and they've had no poblems with them and have found them good.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Theponylady

I think you are talking about pads? Never heard them called Lilypads before lol

There are loads of different kinds of pads(plastic, leather, combinations of the two, and a number of special problem specific pads), along with different things that can be put between the pads and the hoof(silicone gel, oakum, and various other specialty products).

You definately need a farrier who is very familiar with them putting them on.

There are several problems with using them. One, they can keep dampness in and create ideal conditions for thrush. This is especially a problem for horses in Ireland, since it is so damp all the time. Two, if the hoof isn't trimmed properly, or if the pads/shoes are left on too long, the pads can put pressure on the hoof sole, which can cause bruising, corns, pedal osteitis, and various other issues.

Many farriers tend to shoe with shoes that are too short and don't give enough heel support, in the mistaken belief that the horses are less likely to pull the shoes off. If you add pads to this type of shoeing, you will often end up with a lame horse, as the balance of the hoof and leg gets too out of whack, with a lot of strain on tendons, ligaments, and joints.

If the pads are put on correctly, and the hoofs are trimmed and reset regularly(5 to 6 weeks, more than that is usually too long), then pads can be of great use for horses with tender feet. They offer protection from stones, plus help a bit to reduce concussion when working on hard ground.

It's not a bad idea if you do shoe with pads to square the toes of the hind feet. This helps the hind foot break over more quickly, and makes it so there is less chance of catching a shoe and pulling it off. And again, making sure the horse is shod on a very regular basis and not allowing the feet to get too long will help reduce the chance of the horse pulling the shoes off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Hi
    i aquired a horse who has extrememly soft soles and hooves . A lot of his problems were associated with poor farriery work as the farrier had shod him flat and wide not putting a rounded shape on his hoof (i only knew the horse at this time ) He developed ringbone unfortunatly then i got him as he was "NO GOOD " ANY More.
    So he had cracks up to his coronary band and he had extremely sensitive soles when i knew him as a riding horse he always always got stone bruises was lame etc.

I have fed him a supplement called superhoof from Global herbs and it is amazing what difference this has made he has never had a lame day since i am now riding him leisurely i can see now the hoof growing down and it is growing fast and the cracks are dissappearing fast. The soles of his feet mow are as hard as you could get and no longer soft and spongy like they were before

Google it and see what you think there are some stockists in Ireland .

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭kavanagh_h

There are several problems with using them....

Thank you so much for your very informative post. I got the Lilypads and they have solved the problem for the moment. I am aware of problems with infection and was hoping that as soon as I got her fit and thinner the pads will be coming off. Your post instils my need to do this. So far so good though. Unfortunately her feet grow very slowly. I may take Monflats advice and get that herbal remedy to see if it makes a difference. Thanks again. Holly

Advertisement