Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GAMSAT 2010...for discussion of all things related to this exam.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 damal

Congrats to all who got places, I though a 57 would have got a first round place in Lim but I'm still hoping it will be enough! If it's the second or third round I'll still be happy :). As a matter of interest is anyone haviing difficulty in the current climate getting Loans???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 328 ✭✭eagle_&_bear

well its August 6th and im sitting gamsat for 2nd time.

anyone else going over to UK for the exam?

Anyone sitting the exam in Nottingham? I'm going over Thursday morning and staying til Saturday

Have to say the gamsat uk office have been so helpful with helping highlight accomodation that is convenient to test centre area.

anyone else going over?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 stratford

Does anyone know when the GEM course starts in UCD?

I can't get anything on their website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 skeaton

I have 5 Ozimed sample papers, 2 ACER sample papers and Des O'Neill notes on all topics - all yours for €200. Drop me a line. I got into grad med btw. colmleahy2@yahoo.ie
    Hi,

Kicking off study for Sept. Does anyone have study material that they no longer need?

I'm looking for some
    • Des O'Neill notes
    • examkrackers material
    • Griffith's GAMSAT review
    • Organic Chem for Dummies/alternative
    • Rapid Revision Chem
    • Rapid Revision Physics
    Any help/material appreciated. PM if you can please.
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭ZombieMed

Stratford, Information from UCD open day states term start is Monday 6th September. gem@ucd.ie is the contact email address.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 crazy dude

getout wrote: »
    So why do you think the cutoff scores went up?

Were the 180 places that we expected ever actually confirmed? Does anyone know for certain if the number of places offered was less.

That would explain this unexpected rise in cutoff scores.

I was so sure I'd get an offer for UL with a score of 57, but no such luck. :(

I would say, regardless of whether there were or weren't more places that better and better candidates are rejecting the whole Ph.D malarkey and trying for medicine instead. Besides the economy collapsing one of the things students are beginning to question is the whole Knowledge Economy idea when all they see are post docs approaching 40 in their labs struggling to get funding ... Perhaps that's why the points from gamsat went up??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭hurdygurdy85

If any potential Grad Med students heading to UL are interested in house-sharing PM me!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 getleft

stratford wrote: »
    Does anyone know when the GEM course starts in UCD?

I can't get anything on their website.

Orientation week 6th Sep- 10th Sep. We're in on the Wed and Thurs I think. Lectures start Mon 13th. It's all up their website now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Gardiners

Anyone interested in the following?

Des O’Neill’s Practising MCQs Home Study Course 2010 – €200

Gamsat ACER Practice Questions
    Gamsat ACER Sample Questions
    Gamsat ACER Practice Test €50

Gradmed 10 booklets:
    1. Simulated Gamsat Question Papers - Section I Reasoning in Humanities and Social Sciences
    2. Simulated Gamsat Question Papers - Section III Reasoning in Biological and Physical Sciences
    3. Written Communications
    4. Written Communications
    5. Physics
    6. Organic Chemistry
    7. Organic Chemistry
    8. Maths for Science
    9. Physical Chemistry
    10. Biology

I reckon the 10 booklets are worth about €400, considering Des O’Neill’s Practice Book cost me €200 (including postage to Ireland)

Organic Chemistry I for Dummies - €16

Collins Advanced Science Third Edition Physics – Ken Dobson, David Grace & David Lovett - €50

Selling all the above for half the shown price, i.e. 50% less than what I paid. So, all the above cost me €716, and I’m selling the lot for €350.

NOTE: Some of these booklets and tests are marked!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Mike W

Gardiners wrote: »

Gradmed 10 booklets:
    1. Simulated Gamsat Question Papers - Section I Reasoning in Humanities and Social Sciences
    2. Simulated Gamsat Question Papers - Section III Reasoning in Biological and Physical Sciences
    5. Physics
    6. Organic Chemistry
    7. Organic Chemistry
    8. Maths for Science
    9. Physical Chemistry
    10. Biology

I reckon the 10 booklets are worth about €400, considering Des O’Neill’s Practice Book cost me €200 (including postage to Ireland)

Collins Advanced Science Third Edition Physics – Ken Dobson, David Grace & David Lovett - €50

Selling all the above for half the shown price, i.e. 50% less than what I paid. So, all the above cost me €716, and I’m selling the lot for €350.

Hey,
    I was wondering, do you still have the gradmed course for sale and what part of ireland you are living? Any chance could you e-mail me at mikey2011@live.co.uk

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Mike W

Hey,
    Im lookin to buy gradmed GAMSAT notes, could any selling please email me at mikey2011@live.co.uk

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 damal

Just got a call from UL this moring to say that I have been accepted into UL with a score of 57:-), she said i will get the official offer on monday but she wanted to give me notice as registeration date for UL is the 1st of september with lectures starting the following monday, so it may be worth contacting the college directly if you don't want to wait untill monday!

damal wrote: »
    Just got a call from UL this moring to say that I have been accepted into UL with a score of 57:-), she said i will get the official offer on monday but she wanted to give me notice as registeration date for UL is the 1st of september with lectures starting the following monday, so it may be worth contacting the college directly if you don't want to wait untill monday!

Congrats Damal!! :)
    See you there!

If ur interested, theres a few of us looking to get a house together or apartment together either off-campus or on-campus. The conversation is on newmediamedicine.com and the link is:

http://www.newmediamedicine.com/forum/university-limerick/55630-ul-off-campus-accomadation.html

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭lukejr

Have people received the official letter from UL yet regarding places, or just the CAO letter confirming place?

They really do leave it late to get the details out for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

UL rang me today and told me they would be putting the letter in the post on the 23rd (or was it the 26th) I was a bit sleepy at the time.

Apparently, a lot of people were were offered places (across the different schools) are not accepting so there's still a bit of x round offers to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Nevin10

Hi All,

After deep contemplation and acceptance that I will be broke until I’m thirty, I have begun my preparation to sit the 2011 Gamsats in Dublin in March. Eek! Being from a non-scientific background I am spending pre-xmas focusing on SIII, and post xmas will be spend on lots of pre-tests, essays etc.

As I am working loooooong hours at the mo, I have enlisted the help of a tutor (a grad med student) for 1.5 hours at the weekend to iron out the sticky spots and keep me on track. Anyone have any advice for those trying to study with a heavy workload?

Also, I was hoping someone could clear this up for me: are candidates that sit the 2010 Gamsats in March in Ireland, eligible to start in the UK in Sept 2011 (interview allowing obviously)?

Congrats to those who recently got results / offers.
    Happy studying everyone else! :)

Hi Nevin10,

My advice is to get your study plan out and start planning your study for this year up to about 3 weeks before Christmas. You won't want to have to work around a study schedule as it gets into holiday time. Over the holidays, if you have time, you can cover anything you've missed in section 3, or just relax. Keep revision notes as you go along, even just marking pages to return to would be helpful. You'll work on these after Christmas, as well as doing your S1 and S3 work.

Put in a decent, but realistic, amount of hours. I'd start with chemistry, especially organic, since it's so hard to figure it out with no background. For biology you'll want to be familiar with data presentation as a lot of the questions will require you to figure out the answer from what you've been given.

Don't disregard Section 1 and 2 after christmas - do some verbal reasoning practices each week - not just the gamsat practices.. You can come down on this section if you're just not used to it and to timing it well. Do 2 essays each week, time controlled once you get to the 3rd week.

Yes to your answer about Sept 2011 in the UK. Good luck with it all:)

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭shroomfox

Nevin10: If you meant people who sit the Gamsat in 2011 (you said 2010 but I'm guessing you meant 2011?) then no - you won't be able to apply in time for UK places starting in 2011.

If you sat the Irish Gamsat in March this year then yes - you could apply for UK entry in 2011 based off that result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭etymon

WELL DONE to everyone who got an offer and is excited to be heading off in September with a freshly pressed white coat :)
    Good luck to anyone hitting the books for GAMSAT again; all I'll say is, I wouldn't like to see next year's points if things continue as they are... with no extra places, you're gonna have to nail the bastard to be sure of a place.

Did anyone else get RCSI and receive any information after returning their student information form and deposit?

Just wondering if mine is lost in the ether:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭Biologic

I've returned everything and received nothing too ZombieMed. I'd imagine they're waiting for all places to be filled before sending out registration packs.

thanks.. little freaked out after getting the place that I'd lose it because I've done something stupid:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭figs86

Round One Offers:

RCSI: 63
    UCD: 60*
    UCC: 59*
    UL: 57

Taken from the CAO site http://www2.cao.ie/points/2010_RND1_L8_XYZ.HTM#dcd

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭lukejr

Is UL very slow at sending out the information, a friend of mine is still waiting on the information pack.

They phoned last week to confirm, but still no official letter from UL.

Anyone else out there get information from UL yet? The course starts in a week and they still haven't sent any information yet.

lukejr wrote: »
    Is UL very slow at sending out the information, a friend of mine is still waiting on the information pack.

They phoned last week to confirm, but still no official letter from UL.

Anyone else out there get information from UL yet? The course starts in a week and they still haven't sent any information yet.

Yep they are quite slow, Im still waiting for info, they said they'd post it out on the 23rd tho......
    Having trouble with booked on-campus accomodation.... Have a nightmare situation of being forced to find someone else to take my room on-campus if I receive a higher offer on the 2nd Sept and take it or else I forfeit the installment completely... They want their first installment of over €2000 asap......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

I was assured over the phone that if you paid for the first installment of the accommodation fee and then received a higher offer. You would be refunded the vast majority of the first installment, with perhaps a small sum taken out for the week(s) you were on campus. You would lose the 250 deposit however. I don't think they'd have a problem getting a new person for your room.

I'm hoping a package comes from UL tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

figs86 wrote: »
    Round One Offers:

RCSI: 63
    UCD: 60*
    UCC: 59*
    UL: 57

Taken from the CAO site http://www2.cao.ie/points/2010_RND1_L8_XYZ.HTM#dcd

Was RCSI not 64? Or does it come down when people don't accept their places?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭figs86

danthefan wrote: »
    Was RCSI not 64? Or does it come down when people don't accept their places?

RCSI was 64 in Round 0 (5th August) and is now 63 as of Round 1 (23rd August)

Yes, when people reject a place it is subsequently offered in the next round to someone further down the list.

There is another round of offers scheduled for 2nd Sept and offers will continue being made until all places are filled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 351 ✭✭jenga-jen

Just some info:

Anyone accepting a place on the UCD programme there's a group on Facebook that might be worth keeping an eye on over the next few weeks:

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/group.php?gid=111026012275673&ref=ts

• Advertisement

from the horses's mouth... or the lady in RCSI admissions office who is actually very nice and not horsey at all... RCSI is full as of today so I guess that's on a 63.
    RCSI loan is also 'closing' according to AIB who were NOT very nice about me ringing up today for it (in August!) and had to be talked into 'letting' me have it! So i would advise anyone who hasn't sorted it to get into Westmoreland St tomorrow.
    Good luck to all in final rounds.

Oh and has anyone started in UCC or UL? How's it going?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Scientist1

Congrats to everyone starting GEM! Just wondering what your finances are like?! I've just started studying for GAMSAT 2011, however, I have a contract job (fairly decent wages) in a pharma company until May 2012...If (big If!) I get the points for 2011, I'm not too sure If I should take it or just use score for the following year...Have ye saved any money at all? Are you covering fees plus living expenses with the GEM loan? Can you work part-time or during Summer hols?
    LOVE to start next year, but maybe I should save as much as possible....Also, I'm 27 y.o. at mo so if I postpone until 2012, I'll be 29, but have more mon.......
    Ahhhhh, dont think I can last another 2 years in this job!!! GOOD LUCK to all of you anyway, I'm so jealous!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Siouxky

Hey all.

Thats really crap about the aib loan in Dublin- hope everyone gets it sorted!

etymon- Currently in week two of UCC. Its going grand. Last week was introductory enough. Anatomy terminology, concepts in molecular biology and epidemiology and such. Getting more detailed this week and our first anatomy lab is Friday (eek!) The timetable seems to ramp up as the weeks go on, and the case studies and clinical skills/communication seem really cool. Overall delighted n excited!

Whats the RCSI timetable like?

Siouxky wrote: »
    Hey all.

Thats really crap about the aib loan in Dublin- hope everyone gets it sorted!

etymon- Currently in week two of UCC. Its going grand. Last week was introductory enough. Anatomy terminology, concepts in molecular biology and epidemiology and such. Getting more detailed this week and our first anatomy lab is Friday (eek!) The timetable seems to ramp up as the weeks go on, and the case studies and clinical skills/communication seem really cool. Overall delighted n excited!

Whats the RCSI timetable like?

Loan sorted - I think! Just a bit of a jolt to be told you had missed the old psychic wave of a deadline and might not be able to go to skool after all (sniff!)

How exciting about UCC! Our timetable came today and it looks pretty effing awful insofar as we have a quiz on Fridays 8am and 8am or 8.30am starts every other day. Lots of bum & legs up til Christmas (oh sorry, I mean pelvis and lower extremity) and similarly case study and clinical competencies class weekly too. Our first anatomy lab is on day one, or the first day after Orientation! Getting the willies about that alright though I think it's more anticipation about such a bizarre experience. Let me know how it goes!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Noobjockey

Hey guys, just a quick question about the exam in London on the 17th... I registered for the exam back in July and it said that they email you with the final details (exam centre etc..) 2 weeks before the exam. I haven't been emailed yet but I have everything paid, received confirmation emails, reference numbers etc. Has everyone already received their emails regarding test location or should I write to them to see what the story is? Thanks..

Noobjockey wrote: »
    Hey guys, just a quick question about the exam in London on the 17th... I registered for the exam back in July and it said that they email you with the final details (exam centre etc..) 2 weeks before the exam. I haven't been emailed yet but I have everything paid, received confirmation emails, reference numbers etc. Has everyone already received their emails regarding test location or should I write to them to see what the story is? Thanks..

I took the London exam this time last year and I think it was literally just the two weeks before that I received everything for it.

I'd leave it until Tuesday lunchtime just in case it's delayed because of when the weekend fell. Also check your Spam and Bin folders in your e-mail in case it slipped by!

Also, and I'm not sure if you're familiar with London so bear with me, if it's in Greycoat St again (or anywhere else really) it can get a bit hectic at lunchtime with so many people trying to get fed and especially if it's running behind. Best bet is to hit Pret on the way to the centre in the morning for a sandwich and just eat it in the hall.

G'luck with the exam too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Noobjockey

Hey thanks very much. Absolutely no need for panic, the admissions ticket came this morning :) Just getting a bit excited is all! It actually is in Greycoat St. again so thanks for that little nugget of information ;)

Noobjockey wrote: »
    Hey thanks very much. Absolutely no need for panic, the admissions ticket came this morning :) Just getting a bit excited is all! It actually is in Greycoat St. again so thanks for that little nugget of information ;)

Best of luck with it so :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 CMD86

Hi all,

I'm sitting the GAMSAT in the UK next week and I was wondering - can you eat during the exam? I don't think I'll last through section III without a snack of some kind. If you can eat, are there certain foods they allow and others they don't??

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 middaydemon

Doing it in London? I did it last year, seem to remember that food wasn't allowed - could be wrong though.

ProPlus caffeine pills are what got me through Section III...

Hmm. Not good news. I'm doing it in Bristol. Are you allowed to eat during the break between sections I and II?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 middaydemon

I think so - you can't leave the hall, but you can grab whatever you've brought with you.

My memory's a bit hazy, though, and it might differ from venue to venue.

I recommend for snacks: wine gums and bananas and for lunch: salmon and rice in a lunchbox. Did the job for me anyway!

Good luck!

I think you're just allowed a bottle of water on your desk (I took it in London last year) but I suppose if you brought chewing gum (non sugar free kind) and something to discard the old ones in you might survive ;)

Hi all,

Thanks for the advice about food. Luckily I managed to get special testing conditions - phew! I have another query though - do they provide paper for scribbling on? Are we allowed to write on the question sheet? I find that for sIII especially I often need to do sums/draw out molecules etc.

Best of luck to anybody else sitting the test in the UK. It'll all be over in a couple of days!

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mzharhms

Gardiners wrote: »

Gradmed 10 booklets:
    5. Physics
    6. Organic Chemistry
    7. Organic Chemistry
    8. Maths for Science
    9. Physical Chemistry
    10. Biology

Do you still have the GAMSAT materials for sale? PM or contact me at mzharhms@gmail.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 davidorourke

Hello,

My name is David and i wont to get a small group together to preparing for the GAMSAT in March 2011,Dublin. I recently moved to London and for this reason all communication will be via email/skype. Anyone interested in getting prep started early then give me a shout and we can get started.

thanks,
    Dave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

Took a valium the night before the exam in Bristol to help me sleep. Coasted through the exam the next day, finishing on average with 40% of the questions still to do when they called time. Sweet as.

My essays were alright though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Blondie1988

Hi there,

if anyone has gamsat prep materials for sale PM me please!!

thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 mindmepls

am planning to sit GAMSAT for the following next year, and need help and suggestions from people who are on the the same track...
    Some are scaring for the fact that the test modules are tough and time taking??is this true??
    after getting through--though i am in touch with the institutes for details, need to know how you all experienced in getting through seats and about fee structures being so high, have you got support through finance...going through the links of sites but also would prefer personal opinions inorder to make a quality decision....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 sallyann55

anyone intersted in doing a gamsat study group for the test in march in either dublin or sligo? I did it in london and got 55, so am determined to get it this time.
    i have all the gradmed, some ozimed, acer papers and dr ferdinand gold standard books but would love to be able to go through some of the material with people who are preparing for it too, just too compare notes etc? my email is reddin.gemma@gmail.com, if ur interested?

Gemma

• Advertisement
Advertisement