Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GAMSAT 2010...for discussion of all things related to this exam.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 turnerc3

Hi there, i'm planning to to the GAMSAT 2010 in Limerick myself and was looking for anybody who would be interested in setting up a study group that would meet in UL library. Would you be interested in something like this?

Colm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭colquhom

Hi i was just wondering if someone could give me some info on how difficult it is to require a loan for doing post grad medicine? Is anyone who is granted a place in the course guaranteed to be granted a loan by the bank or does the usual criteria apply for getting a loan (as in there is a non-zero chance of being refused?) Can a loan be discussed prior to being granted a place or should you only talk to the bank post acceptance?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 ashyboots

Hey guys, Yeah a meet up would be great. Anywhere in town is good for me - maybe the longstone? I actually got loads of notes and some practice tests off a friend who did gamsat two years back. Can bring stuff along to see if people want to photocopy anything...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 aoife234

Hey guys,
    I'm in Limerick and am hoping to sit the gamsat in 2010. I would definitely be interested in a study group if anyone else still is? I haven't really done too much yet but am hoping to get started this week.

Aoife.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

So, now that we have the new education forum, we'll sticky this until the next GAMSAT, then we'll start another thread for the GAMSAT after that, so it doesn't get too big and unwieldy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 MollieB

hi Liberal,

first of all, the very best of luck in the gamsats. Please do update us on how it was and what came up etc ?

Please find attached the CAO list of accepted points for the colleges (rcsi/ucd/ucc/ul).

RCSI (for 2009) is set at 62

Hi All
    Just wondering if anyone has any idea what was the minimum GAMSAT points accepted for graduate entry Veterinary Medicene this year. I wonder is there any details available for overall CV and Gamsat scores and how these are calculated. I am considering giving the GAMSAT a shot this year but really don't know if I have a chance in hell!! I have the GAMSAT material and the sample questions seem do-able but its been a long while since I studied science subjects as I graduated from undergrad in Animal Science in 2000! Any help or advice would be welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Psychologeeee

Hey, I am in first year in Psychology in UCD, and I was wondering if I did the GAMSAT next year, would my score be valid for entry into Medicine in 3 years? I was 8 points of Medicine this year, and I was hoping to to the GAMSAT a.s.a.p while the science I had from second level is still fresh in my head. Obviously just leaving cert Biology, Chemistry and Physics is not enough but I do tend to do alot of independant reading in each of these areas. The essay aspect should be o.k as I managed to get 99% in both english papers in the leaving :). Would anybody advise going for a few grinds in Physics or anything before the GAMSAT?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 MedGal

Psychologeeee,
    All the info on score validity can be found on GAMSAT site.

Your score is only valid for 2yrs.

Gradmed is the only prep course in Ireland that I'm aware of but i reckon most people just do their own prep from text books.

The exam is pretty tough (in my opinion) but give it a go, get practice papers from Acer and try your best!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 vinylqueen

currently trying to decide if I want to put myself through this whole thing again ;) when i do make up my mind if there's a study group going in dublin i'd love to join you guys! think i went a bit stir crazy at times stuck studying on my own!

sat the london one last month and found it - in my humble opinion - a lot harder then both the acer & grad med practice tests, but i'm from a non-sci background and because of an unfortunate mixup only managed to get a handful of raisins for lunch which left me in a less then alert state for sIII. sI & sII were fine though! the wait for results is absolutely horrible, i've been full of nervous energy and obsessively NMM/paging dr/this board checking ever since the evening after the exam. it's like a plaster you just want to rip off, particularly when you know the results aren't gonna be good!

in case anyone's interested in study approaches, i cut down to part time work, gave up nearly my whole social life and spent the whole summer with org chem for dummies, my LC physics book and my sister's grad med notes from last year. i tried to write two essays every day for the last month but that didn't always happen! even though i'm positive i did appallingly this time around in sIII (a lack of genuine understanding in some topics, i'd know what to focus on next time) i'm still glad i did it. it's a *lot* of hard work but definitely an experience particularly if - like me - you come from a non sci background because it really changes your perspective and gives you a new-found respect for science's role in everyday life, as well as medicine.

good luck anyway everyone :D happy studying!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭etymon

vinylqueen, sat Gamsat in March in pretty much same circumstances. Laughable how much science I thought I 'knew' going into the exam and I really got a good shock coming out when I realised all the stuff I hadn't a notion about in SIII. I didn't do too badly (got a 57 and an offer for UL) but am definitely repeating in March. It is worth doing it again and the study second time round is easier as you will probably have a good grasp of the basics - it is quite doable to move onto the harder stuff incrementally.
    Self-teaching science is tough and it's hard to judge what level you are at but I agree it is fascinating stuff.
    Good luck! and don't get too het up waiting for results. If I learned anything from March it's to keep busy during those horrible six weeks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 GalwayEMT

Anyone in the Galway area interested in meeting for study group/ informal "wtf am I doing?" sessions?

I intend to sit GAMSAT Ireland in March 2010 - and have lots to do on the science front myself! Good old arts degrees. :rolleyes: Ah, what a mountain I've given myself to climb...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭galwayllm

Hi GalwayEMT. I'm in Galway and attempting Gamsat in March too. I have an Arts degree too so all the science is new to me! Currently working through 'Organic Chemistry for Dummies' and finding it ok. Would be very interested in a study group. I'm doing an LLM at the moment so my times are pretty flexible for meeting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭imported_guy

fidget84 wrote: »
    hi, im sitting GAMSAT in march 2010. is anyone down around cork interested in a study group?
    im thinking of doing it in 2011, or 2010 im from cork i'll give you a PM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 5803emma

HEY GUYS-JUST WONDERING IS ANYONE ELSE STUDYING TO DO THE EXAMS IN LIMERICK OR ARE ANY OF YOU THINKING OF DOING MEDICINE IN UL? THINKING ABOUT STARTING THE PREP NEXT WEEK. ANY WORDS OF WISDOM?

PS I THINK THIS THREAD WILL REALLY HELP US AS WE GET CLOSER TO THE EXAM.

I've decided today to apply to sit the GAMSAT in March. I have an Arts Degree in English and German, and only an A2 in Leaving Cert Bio, no Physics or Chemistry whatsoever so I'll be starting from scratch! I live in Clare and work in Shannon so let me know if you want to meet up and discuss the paper or swap study materials!

Emma

GalwayEMT wrote: »
    Anyone in the Galway area interested in meeting for study group/ informal "wtf am I doing?" sessions?

I intend to sit GAMSAT Ireland in March 2010 - and have lots to do on the science front myself! Good old arts degrees. :rolleyes: Ah, what a mountain I've given myself to climb...

I like the sound of those wtf sessions :)

• Advertisement

turnerc3 wrote: »
    Hi there, i'm planning to to the GAMSAT 2010 in Limerick myself and was looking for anybody who would be interested in setting up a study group that would meet in UL library. Would you be interested in something like this?

Colm.

Hi Colm, would you be meeting in the evenings or during the day? I'd definitely be interested as I want to get stuck in to Chemistry and Physics ASAP. These 5 months will fly!

Emma

Guys, there was one more thing (sorry for posting so much!!), I have a 2.2 degree, one per cent off a 2.1, is there much point in forging ahead with the prep for Gamsat, how strict are the colleges on the 2.1 requirement? I e-mailed them all this morning, still waiting to hear back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 fidget84

as far as i know, without a 2;1 they wont look at your application

• Registered Users Posts: 20 sarah_anne

hey guys is anyone in galway planning on sittin d gamsat exams in march if so please get in touch might be good to work as an ensemble

actually just read d post above... have you guys actually met yet ... could i join you in the wtf sessions:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

yep... im settin up a wtf group in cork if ANYONE is interested!!

Hi guys

I'm aiming to sit the GAMSAT in March. If anyone in the region of Clare/Limerick wants to meet up and study/panic in the meantime, PM me!

Also, any ideas on what voluntary work would be most beneficial to a GEM application? I do volunteer work in a nursing home in my locality but I don't know if that kind of experience would be much good......

Thanks

Emma

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭galwayllm

sarah_anne wrote: »
    actually just read d post above... have you guys actually met yet ... could i join you in the wtf sessions:rolleyes:

Hi, no haven't met yet. Was still waiting to hear back from anyone! Would love to meet sometime and discuss the exam.

ok so .... im up for meeting so if anyone is interested send me a pm with your number n we can organise a group meeting wot ya recon?

where's yere plan to meet?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 seoulone

Hi

I am also interested in meeting up in Galway. I have a science background but need motivation to study so really want to join a study group! Evenings or weekends suit me as I work full time.

I have sent Sarah-Anne a pm for more Information. Please feel free to contact me too!

H ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Finnbob

Hi all,

Working and living in Kerry and wondering if there is anyone else who is based in Kerry who is preparing for GAMSAT. Would be great to get a study group together and meet at weekends. My closest town is Tralee or Dingle so perhaps a Tralee study group could be organised.

Thanks

Bob

ok guys there seems to be some interest in the group forming. I suggest meeting somewhere like a college where we can just take over a room and talk till our hearts content. Perhaps GMIT or NUIG....? thinking one evening next week just to get kick started so may I suggest wed at 7pm for those whom may be working. PM me to let me know if this suits

SA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 hhoppy

hey
    does anyobe know if NUIG will be starting their graduate entry medicine program in 2010?
    or with the current ecomonic climate etc???
    thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 TinTin09

NUIG GEM is completelty scrapped for the time being.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 seoulone

I emailed NUIG about 3 months ago, and was told that due to the current economic climate, the graduate course is on hold. :(

I am still hopeful that they will introduce this course in the near future, but there are no guarantees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

The next GAMSAT Ireland will be held Saturday, 20 March 2010.

Registrations will open 2 November 2009 and close Midnight, 1 February 2010.

CAO:

The 2010 Application facility will be available from Tuesday, 3rd November (12:00).

DO IT!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 fingerscrossed9

I intend sitting the Gamsats in March 2010 and I am looking for a tutor. Preferably someone who has been successful in the Gamsats themselves and is available to meet once/twice a week. Tutoring experience is not necessary, just someone who feels that they have an ability to pass on their knowledge and experience. Pay negotiable

• Registered Users Posts: 4 fingerscrossed9

I notice a few of you mentioned a dublin based study group, is this still open to newcomers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭chilloutman

i am also very interested in galway study group but dont think i will be starting until january, please let me know anyway whats going on maybe we can meet up and discuss how we are going to prepare for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 iambored

Hello, I am a newbie to Boards! any info re Veterinary in UCD? GAMSAT points needed, cv tips etc??? :confused:

iambored wrote:
    Hello, I am a newbie to Boards! any info re Veterinary in UCD? GAMSAT points needed, cv tips etc???

First stop

CAO

Second stop

GAMSAT

is there such thing as graduate dentistry?

any one got trends/graphs etc, people sitting gamsat vs places available etc? and maybe even their background degrees vs score?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

MicraBoy wrote: »
    First stop

CAO

Second stop

GAMSAT

Don't you need to already have a 2.1 science degree to study veterinary in UCD as well as GAMSAT + experience? Seems harder to get into than GEM.

• Advertisement

Vim Fuego wrote: »
    Don't you need to already have a 2.1 science degree to study veterinary in UCD as well as GAMSAT + experience? Seems harder to get into than GEM.

You need GAMSAT plus:

I. Hold an honours degree (NQAI Level 8) in a Biological/Biomedical/Animal Science discipline at the level of a 2.2 Honours or above, a Masters degree, or a PhD in a relevant area of biological science by June 2010.
    II. Are considered as EU applicants (i.e. not deemed ‘overseas’ applicants for purposes of fees)

That seems easier to me, but I'm not sure what the required GAMSAT score is.

any one got trends/graphs etc, people sitting gamsat vs places available etc? and maybe even their background degrees vs score?

Don't think there is. You have to go and do the undergrad afaik. It certainly doesn't require GAMSAT (in Ireland) any way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

There was a paper out looking at 2007/2008 apps (i think it was those years). roughly 400 applicants, but only 300 sat it. 85ish offered places. Average score was about 55 or 56. So you needed one or 2 points above average to get a place.

Most were from biology backgrounds, and the ones who did the best were from earth science backgrounds. People from science background did better in the science bit. People from humanities backgrounds did better in the humanities bit.

People with PhDs did very very well. There was nothing really surprising about any of it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Does anyone know how many applicants to medicine (i.e. sat the GAMSAT) vs how many actually got in? Would the 'success' rate be 25%,50%,75% etc.?

Red Alert wrote: »
    Does anyone know how many applicants to medicine (i.e. sat the GAMSAT) vs how many actually got in? Would the 'success' rate be 25%,50%,75% etc.?

For 2009 entry there are ~120 places for EU applicants in the various GradMed programs. There are probably double that number of places if you include non-EU. AFAIK more than 600 sat the GAMSAT. Thing you have to remember is that not everyone applys to CAO in a given year and a whole other bunch don't get the 2.1 required later in the year.

tallaght01 posted in another thread that approx 1 in 3 or 1 in 4 gets a place so that sounds about right.

tallaght01 wrote: »
    There was a paper out looking at 2007/2008 apps (i think it was those years). roughly 400 applicants, but only 300 sat it. 85ish offered places. Average score was about 55 or 56. So you needed one or 2 points above average to get a place.

Most were from biology backgrounds, and the ones who did the best were from earth science backgrounds. People from science background did better in the science bit. People from humanities backgrounds did better in the humanities bit.

People with PhDs did very very well. There was nothing really surprising about any of it.
    thanks, i thought like 60+ was like 90+ percentile? how does that work if like 55-56 is the average? shouldnt 55-56 be atleast 80+ percentile?
    tallaght01 posted in another thread that approx 1 in 3 or 1 in 4 gets a place so that sounds about right.

1 in 3 is not bad at all, seems pretty easy considering you can repeat twice a year if your detrmined to get in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sufjan

Hey, just wondering if the dublin study group is going strong and willing to take on a newbie? ive got strong bio n chem to bring to the table having finished my degree with 1sts but am desperate at physics and the humanities/essay stuff

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 slowlygoincrazy

Hi - I was just wondering the same thing myself if the Dublin group is going & open to newcomers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 gem2010

Hi - I was just wondering the same thing myself if the Dublin group is going & open to newcomers?

I was wondering the same... maybe if no one replies we could start another one? I'm in Dublin also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 328 ✭✭eagle_&_bear

hey folks,

there was plans to start a dublin study group but I know for me, work got in the way. Tho' I've got myself back on track so, if people were up for it, maybe we could kick start the group etc

I've gone down the Des O'Neill programme route and should have my material in the next day or so (initially I was going to do the Gradmed course but after the RCSI open day, and after what a few people said about it, I've moved camps).

so if people want to kick start this... when would people want to meet up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 gem2010

I'm in final year chemistry so I have exams coming up in the next couple of weeks, but am available most of january, and weekends after that! I only have the acer notes so far,, why do all the notes have to be so expensive!!>? Let's defo get this group started :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13 ashyboots

Hey all, yeah work got in the way for me too but am definitely keen to meet up with y'all even to have a chat about where people are coming from and what they plan to study - start from there. When would suit Dublin folks to meet up? Mondays are the only bad day for me. Some evening perhaps? Ash

• Advertisement
Advertisement