Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GAMSAT 2010...for discussion of all things related to this exam.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭figs86

Can't find any definitive info on this after googling it, so:

If you get an offer for Graduate Med can you defer the offer?

Anybody got a link?

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

figs86 wrote: »

Anybody got a link?

Cheers.

I don't think so. There was thread on newmediamedicine.com in which one of the posters stated this was not possible.

It is up to each individual Uni to allow deferrals for any given course so it would be best to check each with each Admission office to verify - that is stated in the CAO handbook.

MicraBoy wrote: »
    I don't think so. There was thread on newmediamedicine.com in which one of the posters stated this was not possible.

It is up to each individual Uni to allow deferrals for any given course so it would be best to check each with each Admission office to verify - that is stated in the CAO handbook.

Thanks MicraBoy, found that forum in the meantime.

From some numbers presented there I was doing some sums to add to the prediction debacle.

746 CAO applications in for Grad Med.
    180 Places.
    RCSI - 30 Places
    UCD - 55 Places (+35)
    UL - 70 (+20)
    UCC - 25 (+5)
    = 180 places

746 applications - 180 places = 566 with no offer

566 divided by 746 = 0.76

So if you're in the 76th percentile or above you'll be made an offer.
    I make the 76th percentile to be the line that splits 56 and 57 as a result.

As the curve of the graph is so steep at around 54 to 58 it seems to indicate a lot of people got within that bracket.

It starts to level off at 59 or 60, indicating that relatively few people got those results.

Summary:
    A lot of people got 54-58, not so many got 59,60 upwards.
    Therefore I see it as a random selection for a score falling probably closer to 58 than 54 overall.

Disclaimer: I AM PROBABLY WRONG - this only includes Dublin March 2010 results, not anyone presenting with any previous result

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 gem2010

In terms of getting a place deferred, someone asked at the UL open night and they said no, but not sure about the rest.

TOO HARD to make predictions... especially trying to take other things into consideration like the fact that ppl might use scores from last year etc :S

best of luck to everybody

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 maggie82

[QUOTE=figs86;65919219

746 CAO applications in for Grad Med.
    180 Places.
    RCSI - 30 Places
    UCD - 55 Places (+35)
    UL - 70 (+20)
    UCC - 25 (+5)
    = 180 places

[/QUOTE]

Hey just wondering how you found out how many applications there were? I've been trying to find the number of applcations for veterinary and am having no joy.

maggie82 wrote: »
    Hey just wondering how you found out how many applications there were? I've been trying to find the number of applcations for veterinary and am having no joy.

Saw it on the newmediamedicine.com forum - there was no link so it may be completely unfounded and don't know where the poster there sourced it from sorry.

However, thanks for bringing up the Veterinary factor, forgot that a (rather small number I'd imagine?) sat GAMSAT for Vet.

Best of luck to you anyway, sorry I can't be of more help!

Cool thanks anyway! I certainly hope its a small number, only 10 places and I've a shocking score! Although may make it easier on the medicine people if not everyone who sat GAMSAT did it for med;)

Good luck getting your course!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭etymon

The CAO confirmed the applications were between 700 and 800 and by a rough head count of how many people were in the different venues it seems 746 is about right.
    Also, last year application numbers increased by 100 or so hence increase in points, but there are more places this year so the colleges with more places should not experience too much of a rise. I would think RCSI will though as they have no extra places.
    Don't forget to factor in the people in that 180 who:
    1. don't take an offer (e.g. me last year and I few others I have heard of) and
    2. don't get a 2:1 degree. There were lots of young fresh-faced types sitting who I can only assume were still in the last year of their degree and I spoke to some at the venue who were giving out about doing their finals and the Gamsat.

etymon wrote: »
    The CAO confirmed the applications were between 700 and 800 and by a rough head count of how many people were in the different venues it seems 746 is about right.
    Also, last year application numbers increased by 100 or so hence increase in points, but there are more places this year so the colleges with more places should not experience too much of a rise. I would think RCSI will though as they have no extra places.
    2. don't get a 2:1 degree. There were lots of young fresh-faced types sitting who I can only assume were still in the last year of their degree and I spoke to some at the venue who were giving out about doing their finals and the Gamsat.

Is the 746 for both veterinary and medicine or just medicine?

just for Grad Med, sorry Maggie.
    Have you been onto UCD about the applicants for Veterinary? They or the CAO should be able to tell you the number.

• Advertisement

Ah right, thanks. Might try the CAO getting info from UCD is like getting blood from a stone;)

Heyyyyyyyyyyyy... that's me you're talking about :)
    ...Fingers crossed i'll get my 2.1 :):)

gem2010 wrote: »
    Heyyyyyyyyyyyy... that's me you're talking about :)
    ...Fingers crossed i'll get my 2.1 :):)

+1

Struggling to motivate myself for last 2 presentations after handing in my dissertation on Friday.

+1

Struggling to motivate myself for last 2 presentations after handing in my dissertation on Friday.

Oooh good luck! I finished up last week and now i'm desperately trying to find a job to save money. Wexford = depressing pit of unemployment by the way. SAD TIMES.

ps, I think it was Etymon who mentioned something about colleges organising tours if you score high enough for them... I missed the RCSI open day, wouldn't mind doing that to see what it's like... how would I go about it? Anybody be up for doing it with me?

gem2010 wrote: »
    Oooh good luck! I finished up last week and now i'm desperately trying to find a job to save money. Wexford = depressing pit of unemployment by the way. SAD TIMES.

ps, I think it was Etymon who mentioned something about colleges organising tours if you score high enough for them... I missed the RCSI open day, wouldn't mind doing that to see what it's like... how would I go about it? Anybody be up for doing it with me?

Went to the RCSI Open Day myself (In January. Through a blizzard)
    Thought it was good.

Drawbacks (for me, some might see them as benefits!):
    Not in Stephen's Green at all - Sandyford and then Connolly.
    Prob very few will be in Beaumount at all.
    V. small class - will either be awesome or a disaster!
    Doing rounds by video link
    Lack of mixing with other classes (some might like this for academic purposes but as I'm a social and sporting creature I can't help thinking a little less isolation would be nice).

Benefits:
    Dedicated buildings in Sandyford and Connolly
    Very good I.T. - its used in their teaching a lot
    Small class size good for questions etc.
    All staff at the Open Day were really nice, intelligent and seemed in tune with the demands and needs of graduate entry students.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 bettyo'surf

lot of other 59s out there I see :) hard to know whether to be happy or a bit worried (looking to go to ucc) signed up to the undergrad program too there & d interview this week, not sure if can bet I will get grad place & could just not go (hate interviews!). any thoughts on whether undergrad course could be at a little bit more relaxed pace?! Not that i expect any med course to be toooo relaxing!!

Well done to everyone that goes through the experience of applying for & sitting gamsat & all the tough decision making re return to the studies, its a workout in itself. go us!

Went to the RCSI Open Day myself (In January. Through a blizzard)
    Thought it was good.

Drawbacks (for me, some might see them as benefits!):
    Not in Stephen's Green at all - Sandyford and then Connolly.
    Prob very few will be in Beaumount at all.
    V. small class - will either be awesome or a disaster!
    Lack of mixing with other classes (some might like this for academic purposes but as I'm a social and sporting creature I can't help thinking a little less isolation would be nice).

Benefits:
    Dedicated buildings in Sandyford and Connolly
    Very good I.T. - its used in their teaching a lot
    Small class size good for questions etc.
    All staff at the Open Day were really nice, intelligent and seemed in tune with the demands and needs of graduate entry students.

This is a smart post as figs has clearly given the course a lot of consideration. Some of the drawbacks in my opinion were attractions for me but aren't for figs. e.g I went to a small school and found UCD for my undergrad overwhelming at times but so many people have the opposite opinion and these are things to bear in mind.
    UCD have offered me a tour in the next couple of weeks which I am looking forward to because in terms of exposure to facilities etc I only know what I saw at RCSI so I am looking forward to a comparison. They were extremely helpful and I would think RCSI would be just as accommodating. I have also heard of people going to UL and UCC for a look around so it's worth giving it a try before end of term if you're applying for Sept. entry,

Hmmm may be I mis-understood what was said at the open day but I thought this was a benefit. You are being exposed to Grand Rounds which is a meeting where the docs discuss certain cases. You won't be doing any sort of rounds in other UNIs until 3rd and 4th year, but in RCSI because of the video link you are able to sit in from practically day 1.

I'm also with etymon on the small class size and seperation being a benefit. Prob coz I'm an auld codger!

Hmmm may be I mis-understood what was said at the open day but I thought this was a benefit. You are being exposed to Grand Rounds which is a meeting where the docs discuss certain cases. You won't be doing any sort of rounds in other UNIs until 3rd and 4th year, but in RCSI because of the video link you are able to sit in from practically day 1.

I'm also with etymon on the small class size and seperation being a benefit. Prob coz I'm an auld codger!

haha! But seriously, a lot of people would not want to be in small classes with no campus or social hub like the universities offer. It would suit me but I have a lot of friends who would like to be in the middle of everything. So maybe we're just boring!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 liz_betty

i couldn't decide between rcsi and ucd, i think everyone seems to struggle with the choice! have rcsi down first for the moment... just wondering if anyone knows about the aib loan?? its impossible to find out about online! as in just say you borrow 100,000 over the 4 years, how much interest do you end up paying? and how much will your monthly repayments be! wish it was free ha :)

liz_betty wrote: »
    i couldn't decide between rcsi and ucd, i think everyone seems to struggle with the choice! have rcsi down first for the moment... just wondering if anyone knows about the aib loan?? its impossible to find out about online! as in just say you borrow 100,000 over the 4 years, how much interest do you end up paying? and how much will your monthly repayments be! wish it was free ha :)

Can't find the link now but 6.9% APR I'm pretty sure is what the AIB loan was offering.

Does anybody who went to the UL open night remember which campus they recommended booking accomodation in?

Is anybody thinking about booking a place now? I don't know what to do... wish I knew other people going to UL...

Cappavilla?
    http://www.ul.ie/campuslife/cappavilla.htm
    Located beside Health Sciences building - I think I paid a deposit on it last year but it does work out to be quite expensive compared with a room in a house off-campus. Saying that a friend of mine at UL recommended that you live on campus for 1st year to get the experience and room with your classmates off campus afterwards.
    I remember emailing UL for details and they were v helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ljg1

Hey guys,

Congrats to all who did GAMSAT, for anyone going to sit it in September and really wants to get it first time, I would suggest you get started now if you haven't already, really get practice in the essay section as its the easiest place to get marks (even if you're from a non science background) and the very best of luck!

If anyone is wondering about UL, Cappavilla is nice because the health sciences building and the new medical school being built are both at the back of the campus and its right beside it. However, I will be going in September (fingers crossed, I have 58) and will definitely not be living in Cappa. Having lived in student accom for 3 years I've had nothing but bad experiences-just because its so overpriced for what you're getting-you can get much nicer, more spacious and cheaper apartments near campus and walk to college, all the student housing is near or pretty much on campus so location isn't a problem.

Hope this helps and well done to everyone!Gamsat is soul-destroying!
    If anyone has questions about UCC (where I did my undergrad) or Limerick (where I'm from) pm me!

well done ljg1! It is great to know you will be okay for UL. Enjoy your summer of freedom!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Irish in London

Hey could someone just tell me; the rules that apply for GAMSAT UK, ie. that you need to have more than 55% in two sections and more than 50% in the other...do they apply for entry to Ireland?

I got below 50% in science and am just wondering does that make my application void.

Cheers!

Hey could someone just tell me; the rules that apply for GAMSAT UK, ie. that you need to have more than 55% in two sections and more than 50% in the other...do they apply for entry to Ireland?

I got below 50% in science and am just wondering does that make my application void.

Cheers!

No there are no minimum cut offs for the individual sections. It is your overall score that counts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭hurdygurdy85

Ha ha, having sweated it out for a whole day in work last friday and not checking my results until I got home, I got the lovely surprise of discovering my score was lower this year..... Must've been a bad day! :) Anyone else's score go down this year? Or am I on my own there.......
    Sat the exam again as a back-up cos wanted to get into UCD but I already have 59 from Sept in UK last year. What are my chances of an offer anywhere?!! (Would just love to relax and know that its enough to get in somewhere and be able to enjoy my summer and continue counting down the days in my poxy job!!) Anyone able to put my mind at rest?!!! :pac:
    Also when are the offers coming out? I heard rumours of the 4th Aug?

Ha ha, having sweated it out for a whole day in work last friday and not checking my results until I got home, I got the lovely surprise of discovering my score was lower this year..... Must've been a bad day! :) Anyone else's score go down this year? Or am I on my own there.......
    Sat the exam again as a back-up cos wanted to get into UCD but I already have 59 from Sept in UK last year. What are my chances of an offer anywhere?!! (Would just love to relax and know that its enough to get in somewhere and be able to enjoy my summer and continue counting down the days in my poxy job!!) Anyone able to put my mind at rest?!!! :pac:

Yeah mine went down as well hurdy, heard a few people that happened to. You will get an offer with that score. Where is another question. You have a chance of UCD I reckon but no certainty there. You also have a shot at UCC, but deffo ok for UL I'd imagine. I'm sorry to say you will probably have no peace over the summer!

Reckon it will be the 3rd or 4th for results.

Way to ruin a good bank holiday weekend CAO, gonna be dwelling on that instead of having fun:(

• Advertisement

Yeah mine went down as well hurdy, heard a few people that happened to. You will get an offer with that score. Where is another question. You have a chance of UCD I reckon but no certainty there. You also have a shot at UCC, but deffo ok for UL I'd imagine. I'm sorry to say you will probably have no peace over the summer!

Thanks Micraboy, its nice to know it wasnt just me. Was totally confused when I got my results. Ill keep hoping for UCD and see what happens. Heard rumours that points may be going down this year due to increased places but not sure.... Anyways, fingers crossed for the start of August. Wonder when 2nd and 3rd round offers for courses like UCD will be offered or will they be filled by round zero.......... wonder if you accept one whatever it is and then might be lucky enough to be offered something higher on your list at a 2nd/3rd round stage. Hmmmm.......
    maggie82 wrote: »
    Way to ruin a good bank holiday weekend CAO, gonna be dwelling on that instead of having fun:(

I agree- it seems to be the general approach to everything related to the GAMSAT and CAO. Wait a bit, wait some more months, get a partial answer then wait just a few more agonising months till we decide whether you were part of a lucky minority. So sick of the process timelines. Speed things up for god sake! :mad:

Thanks Micraboy, its nice to know it wasnt just me. Was totally confused when I got my results. Ill keep hoping for UCD and see what happens. Heard rumours that points may be going down this year due to increased places but not sure.... Anyways, fingers crossed for the start of August. Wonder when 2nd and 3rd round offers for courses like UCD will be offered or will they be filled by round zero.......... wonder if you accept one whatever it is and then might be lucky enough to be offered something higher on your list at a 2nd/3rd round stage. Hmmmm.......

I'd say there is a good chance UCD will come down due to extra places. However there were more applicants this year so one can't be certain how much. It's such a head wreck!

I don't think there are many 2nd and 3rd round offers with GradMed, as applicants tend to be a bit more set on what they will do compared to undergrads. That said there are definitely people who turn down places, so there must be some level of activity in laters rounds.

Mainly because I want others to do the same but also because I'm a consummate gambler I'll make some predictions:

(and yeah I know there's loads of variables but don't pretend you won't be guessing between now and August!)

RCSI: 62
    UCD: 59*
    UCC: 59*
    UL: 57

Is that Round 0 or Final figs? :p

Mainly because I want others to do the same but also because I'm a consummate gambler I'll make some predictions:

(and yeah I know there's loads of variables but don't pretend you won't be guessing between now and August!)

RCSI: 62
    UCD: 59*
    UCC: 59*
    UL: 57

Just for fun - here's mine :)

RCSI: 63
    UCD: 59
    UCC: 59
    UL: 56 (maybe with a *?)

(based on nothing but boredom)

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭drrunner

RCSI 63
    UCD 58
    UCC 59
    UL 55*

final round!!!:)

RCSI 61*
    UCD 58
    UCC 59
    UL 55*

Final

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

This is a largely worthless endeavor!

about 750 applicants?

I wonder what proportion of Life Science Graduates are applying for GEM? Personally, I felt that wasn't much to do with a Science degree if you didn't want to do PhD, teaching etc.

This is a largely worthless endeavor!

about 750 applicants?

I wonder what proportion of Life Science Graduates are applying for GEM? Personally, I felt that wasn't much to do with a Science degree if you didn't want to do PhD, teaching etc.

I have a degree in Microbiology and the science section remained my worst section despite the fact that I spent the most amount of time on it. So a science background was no advantage to me, dont know about others.....
    Im liking all these predictions placing UCD within reach of 59!!! :)
    My predictions:

RCSI-62
    UCD-59
    UCC-59
    UL-57

Fortune teller anyone?!

Keep the predictions coming people.

I'll put up a prize of one place in Graduate Medicine* (T&C apply) for whoever gets it right/closest.

(*in exchange for correct guess, €100k, a 2.1 or higher, 70 or higher in the GAMSAT, your soul and a correctly completed CAO application. Please note there is a €10k handling/administration fee)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭imported_guy

i'll bite, final offer scores

RCSI 60
    UCD 58
    UCC 57*
    UL 55*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 cailin_fanach

I'm the exact same as you! Got 59 in Sept '09 and went down in the March exam. My 1st choice is Cork but I booked accommodation in Limerick as well (just incase!!) Really hoping to get Cork 1st thou....If you compare a score of 59 to the percentile chart that lands us in the 85% percentile so fingers crossed!! Best of luck! :)

Gahh got offered the volunteer programme I was considering would be worth deferring for.

In case anybody was wondering, rang each of the admissions offices and these are their Grad Med deferral policies:

UCC - Will allow for one deferral per intake of GradMed. Best reason gets it.

UCD - Call back tomorrow, doesn't sound promising.

RCSI - Case by case basis, it'd want to be a health issue or similar.

UL - Not nobody, not no way, not no how!

ooh what's the volunteer programme figs? (I'm just being nosy!)
    Is it worth deferring for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Don Keypunch

RCSI 60*
    UCC 59
    UCD 59
    UL 55*

Just for fun:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Ye think a 62 should be ok for Cork?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Don Keypunch

62 for Cork, Not a chance in this lifetime sunshine.

ooh what's the volunteer programme figs? (I'm just being nosy!)
    Is it worth deferring for?

5 months travelling through Africa by Land Rover teaching Rugby to kids.
    Given that I'm a lifelong rugby player and am finishing my degree in Sport Science and Health tomorrow (if I get off the internet first!), it would have suited me down to the ground.
    Unless UCD give me an unexpected answer tomorrow, I have a gut-wrenching phone call to make to the volunteer head.

These are the guys - www.rugbyinafrica.org

Hadn't expected to get a good enough GAMSAT to get in anywhere this September as March was my "dry run". So I thought; do GAMSAT in UK in September, get good enough score, go volunteer in Africa for 5 months!

Shouldn't complain, got a good enough GAMSAT, that was the longterm plan!

UCC 59
    62 for Cork, Not a chance in this lifetime sunshine.

Something doesn't add up here?

• Advertisement

figs - sounds amazing - you must be in a right quandary! The only thing to consider seriously is the yo-yoing in CAO points in recent years. E.g. in 2008 turning down an offer for RCSI on a 58 has pretty much put that out of that person's reach now. Nobody knows what will happen next year but the GEM route is definitely becoming more publicised. Good luck whatever you end up deciding.

As for UCC - I can't see how it could go beyond a 60/61 as there are extra places but what do I know. I certainly wouldn't be giving definitive answers to these questions as it will only mess with people's heads - the wait til August is long enough as it is.

Advertisement