Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HPAT/UKCAT 2010...for discussion of all things related to this exam.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

EJay wrote: »
    I'm hoping you're wrong..haha:PIf you're right, I'll say goodbye to med school. In RCSI, non-EU fees for medicine were €43,500 in 2008. :(

Hey Ejay,
    it's something I'd check to be sure, I was told by an EU student that they were partially subsidised, but that said, it may be different when you head back. And I hear ya about the non-EU fees, thats a deposit on a house every year for 6 years :eek:
    HTH,
    Jess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭blackbetty69

NUIG dropped to 712.This was the lowest I heard.

Dam, i had 708.. means i have to take the year out and do that test again next year but oh well..

Did ne1 do the ukcat this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 cweeva

Did ne1 do the ukcat this year?

I did... was very unprepared for it though, I didn't know I had to do it until a week before the closing date!
    Went ok, got 662.5 average, pretty happy considering how little time I had.
    hoping to do better in the HPAT though considering I have months of preparation ahead of me!
    Anyone know how the UKCAT compares to the HPAT in terms of difficulty, time etc etc??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Purple Gorilla

Does anyone see any reason why I wouldn't be able to sit the HPAT in 2010 if I'm only in 5th year?

The HPAT License thingy lasts for 2 years after the test so I could take the HPAT this year, get familiar with it and then do it again in 6th year if I'm not happy with the results from the one I did in 5th year.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

Does anyone see any reason why I wouldn't be able to sit the HPAT in 2010 if I'm only in 5th year?

The HPAT License thingy lasts for 2 years after the test so I could take the HPAT this year, get familiar with it and then do it again in 6th year if I'm not happy with the results from the one I did in 5th year.

Because it is verboten.
    I'm in 5th form, can I sit HPAT-Ireland?
    No, you are not eligible to sit HPAT-Ireland unless you have already completed your leaving certificate or are completing it in 2010.

Please be warned that when all candidates register to sit HPAT-Ireland they will be required to check a box declaring that they are either doing 6th Form in 2010 or have already completed it, or its equivalent, prior to 2010. They will also have to declare that they are a bona fide applicant.

A 5th form student is NOT a bona fide applicant.

If ACER is made aware of a student who provides a false declaration, their results will not be released and will be cancelled.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Purple Gorilla

Thanks very much for that :)

Does anyone know if the preparation/practice book for the HPAT that you can order now is the same test as last year's practice book??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I'm not taking HPAT this year (next year if medicine is still my agenda), so therefore I don't want to purchase the ridiculously overprices (imo) Practice Test. HPAT-Ulster has a free sample test. How similiar is this to HPAT-Ireland in terms of layout, types of questions asked and difficulty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 EJay

Jessibelle wrote: »
    Hey Ejay,
    it's something I'd check to be sure, I was told by an EU student that they were partially subsidised, but that said, it may be different when you head back. And I hear ya about the non-EU fees, thats a deposit on a house every year for 6 years :eek:
    HTH,
    Jess

I looked into that and found out that they're still subsidised. Now I feel more encouraged to apply again for medicine. :D

Anyway, I just wanted to ask if there was any chance in me getting accepted into a 5 yr program next year in UCD/RCSI even though I haven't done chemistry in the leaving cert(only physics and bio). Would they take into account that I am studying pharmacy and that I am currently studying chemistry at a much higher level than that of the LC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 burnsja

I'm doing the HPAT this year, does anyone have any advice on any reading material or where to get practice questions?

• Advertisement

burnsja wrote: »
    I'm doing the HPAT this year, does anyone have any advice on any reading material or where to get practice questions?

You can order practice question booklets directly from Acer on the HPAT website. (UMAT Vol 1 & 2 and HPAT Practice test) from what I've heard these are the best as they're obviously the most similar to the actual test.

@Ejay, thats fab news about the fees :) As far as I know, RCSI just ask for one science subject as a maltriculation subject, so physics or bio would easily suffice, and the additional fact you're studying Pharmacy can only work in your favour!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

It would be interesting to see a statistic of the amount of people who got their first choice medicine course with 580+ points. Or who even got offered a college. Im presuming its high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 NeverLupus

When do you sit the UKCAT, is is the summer before you apply to ucas, or the summer before you hope to start?

For example someone trying to get in for 2011, would they have sat the exam this summer or would they be sitting it next summer?:)

NeverLupus wrote: »
    When do you sit the UKCAT, is is the summer before you apply to ucas, or the summer before you hope to start?

For example someone trying to get in for 2011, would they have sat the exam this summer or would they be sitting it next summer?:)

You sit it before Oct 2010 for admission in 2011. It's something like 95 euros to sit and it's computer based afaik :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Rosey184

Dam, i had 708.. means i have to take the year out and do that test again next year but oh well..

Ya I had exactely 708 points aswell this year so didnt get any offers either:( Ive decided to do a sort of pre-med course in Beckett college Dublin for the year instead though (its a new private college which focuses on medical studies) Ill be doing a year studying all the science subjects and Im planning on sitting the HPAT again next year, hoping for the best! I dont have any feed back on the course yet as its only new but I think its my best bet as I didnt have anything else down on the CAO apart from medicine (i was very stubborn!:P)
    It could be a good option for you too if youre like me and are dead set on getting into a med program!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Pamplemousse19

jumpguy wrote: »
    I'm not taking HPAT this year (next year if medicine is still my agenda), so therefore I don't want to purchase the ridiculously overprices (imo) Practice Test. HPAT-Ulster has a free sample test. How similiar is this to HPAT-Ireland in terms of layout, types of questions asked and difficulty?
    You should try the practice booklet and see how you get on. Everybody that does it though does much better in the practice book than in the actual HPAT. I'd advise to do as many practice questions as possible as practice actually does make a huge difference(despite what the HPAT website says!).
    Unfortunately, the best way to do this is to do an internet course which costs about €200. I've known people who are perfect for the exam do quite poorly because of lack of practice. On the other hand, people who I thought weren't particularly suitable for the HPAT who did internet courses did the best out of everyone. It's fairly ridiculous and unfair on people who can't afford to shell out 200 euro. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭lctake2

I know it sucks that people seem to have to do online courses but I don't think there is anyone that can't afford the 200 euro for the test that could then afford to go to college after. Even if you get grants and stuff you're going to have to pay at least that much out at some point

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

Went on the UMAT site and they aren't bringing out more practice papers until later this year. Anyone know where I could get a copy of last years papers now? I heard they're very similar to the HPAT questions and I want to try do as many sample questions as I can. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Anthony16

You should try the practice booklet and see how you get on. Everybody that does it though does much better in the practice book than in the actual HPAT. I'd advise to do as many practice questions as possible as practice actually does make a huge difference(despite what the HPAT website says!).
    Unfortunately, the best way to do this is to do an internet course which costs about €200. I've known people who are perfect for the exam do quite poorly because of lack of practice. On the other hand, people who I thought weren't particularly suitable for the HPAT who did internet courses did the best out of everyone. It's fairly ridiculous and unfair on people who can't afford to shell out 200 euro. :mad:

To be fair mate,200 euro is not much if it gets u into the course u want.Plus,if someone cant affoard to pay 200 for one of these course how are they going to pay the registration fee for college(1650). I would recommend that everyone does the courses as people seem to make huge improvements with them.There will have to be an overhaul though cos its just like the old system where people with money still have a massive edge

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Pamplemousse19

Anthony16 wrote: »
    To be fair mate,200 euro is not much if it gets u into the course u want.Plus,if someone cant affoard to pay 200 for one of these course how are they going to pay the registration fee for college(1650). I would recommend that everyone does the courses as people seem to make huge improvements with them.There will have to be an overhaul though cos its just like the old system where people with money still have a massive edge
    200 euro is a lot of money to some people especially around that time of year. You don't have to pay 1650 euro if you're getting the grant. I think it's unfair on people whose parents are unemployed and stuff. It kind of excludes them from getting the course.

• Advertisement

200 euro is a lot of money to some people especially around that time of year. You don't have to pay 1650 euro if you're getting the grant. I think it's unfair on people whose parents are unemployed and stuff. It kind of excludes them from getting the course.

if people are that badly off they can just apply to HEAR and get in on a reduced points basis.But what about accomodation,books,lab coats,transport in college.They add up to a nice sum as iv found out myself.
    Nothings changed really,middle class families who can pay to send their children to grind schools or grind courses have a much greater chance of getting in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭imported_guy

if people are that badly off they can just apply to HEAR and get in on a reduced points basis.But what about accomodation,books,lab coats,transport in college.They add up to a nice sum as iv found out myself.
    Nothings changed really,middle class families who can pay to send their children to grind schools or grind courses have a much greater chance of getting in.
    medicine is excluded from HEAR everywhere, maybe except galway but i think its excluded in galway aswell

medicine is excluded from HEAR everywhere, maybe except galway but i think its excluded in galway aswell

Sure?Im positive there was a guy posing here who got into trinity medicine with hear.Maybe it was dare.dare is definitely accepted in ucd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭imported_guy

Sure?Im positive there was a guy posing here who got into trinity medicine with hear.Maybe it was dare.dare is definitely accepted in ucd
    UCD Restricted Courses

You cannot add the following UCD course to your CAO application after the 1st February 2011.
    DN002 Medicine

http://www.accesscollege.ie/hear/colleges-ucd.php

it says the same thing on all of them except galway, but you can still apply to stuff like dental and vet, pharm etc

maybe it is the disibility one then, DARE, but i dont know how many points you get off, i'd imagine they would be individually assessed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

http://www.accesscollege.ie/hear/colleges-ucd.php

it says the same thing on all of them except galway, but you can still apply to stuff like dental and vet, pharm etc

maybe it is the disibility one then, DARE, but i dont know how many points you get off, i'd imagine they would be individually assessed

Medicine is a restricted course in all colleges, because of the HPAT being in February. HEAR is separate to it being restricted.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭lctake2

Medicine isn't excluded from HEAR, I've just looked up the point requirements. It said 455 plus HPAT score. I know three people in premed ucd that got in with it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Yeah, there's defo HEAR people in my class too, and people who got in through TAP (Trinity Access Progremme).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

i.e. me...

Sure there's 5 or 6 in my class. HEARs the same as TAP really:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 m.conn13

burnsja wrote: »
    the med entry do a course that gives you online practice tests an stuff and you can get one full practice test from acer when ur signing up for the exam.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 coffee maniac

Can anyone give me tips for the UKCAT ??

Advertisement