Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus closing check in early

Options
  • 14-09-2009 2:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭

right, about 3 weeks ago i was on my way to gatwick airport for the last flight to dublin. there was a fecker of a traffic jam and i got there 50 mins before the flight was due to leave. however, when i went to check in, a lady in the check in area told me that check in was closed because the plane was ready to leave about 20 minutes early. after enough arguing that security clearance was practically empty and i could've made it to the plane in less than 10 mins, i had to leave to get to stansted to get ryanair's first flight of the morning so that i'd be on time for work.
    so the fact that aer lingus wanted to take off 20 minutes early cost me over £350 in ryanair fares, lost aer lingus fare, and taxi from dublin airport to work the next morning. given that their confirmation email says that you will be contacted if there is any change in their schedule, and strictly speaking i think this was, and i didn't get anything, who the hell do i complain to?!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭JohnC.

How is it ready to leave 20 minutes early when not all passengers are not on board?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

They calculate the fuel load required based on the amount of passengers checked in by their cut off time. Watch the TV program 'Airline' to understand more.

And I'm pretty sure that their T's & C's state that the departure time can vary - depending on the needs of the airport.

It has happened where I've missed flights before, and it is crap, but thats why they ask you to be there at least an hour prior to departure.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,515 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

must say I agree with the OP, how can the plane be ready to leave if not all passengers are checked in, this could change into leaving an hour early as they have fares collected and don't care about passengers. not contacting you about a change contravenes their own T&Cs. Maybe a letter to Aer Lingus at Dublin Airport asking for clarification about their practices?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

TheDriver wrote: »
    must say I agree with the OP, how can the plane be ready to leave if not all passengers are checked in, this could change into leaving an hour early as they have fares collected and don't care about passengers. not contacting you about a change contravenes their own T&Cs. Maybe a letter to Aer Lingus at Dublin Airport asking for clarification about their practices?

In fairness you can just be on time and there isn't an issue.
    Happened to me last week !

My own stupid fault for not allowing enough time to the Airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

connundrum wrote: »
    They calculate the fuel load required based on the amount of passengers checked in by their cut off time. Watch the TV program 'Airline' to understand more.

And I'm pretty sure that their T's & C's state that the departure time can vary - depending on the needs of the airport.

It has happened where I've missed flights before, and it is crap, but thats why they ask you to be there at least an hour prior to departure.

i know i was pushing it but it took 40 minutes to get the last 4 miles to gatwick because of an accident at the airport exit. now i didn't mention that to her because there was just no way around her (and the really big dude beside her was kinda intimidating!!) but i've checked in for aer lingus planes before at 45 mins and i'm pretty sure 40 mins before departure and had no problems.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

i know i was pushing it but it took 40 minutes to get the last 4 miles to gatwick because of an accident at the airport exit. now i didn't mention that to her because there was just no way around her (and the really big dude beside her was kinda intimidating!!) .

Doesn't matter if it took you 6 hours to get to the airport because of an accident, its not their concern and not their problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

be on time and you'll be on the plane, fairly simple really

i didn't mention anything about what delayed me to them, they just said they closed check in early because the plane was ready to leave 20 minutes early. this has never happened in 7 years of flying over and back at least once a month.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

be on time and you'll be on the plane, fairly simple really

He did get there on time, his initial post said he was there 50 mins before the plane was originally due to leave!

- Drav!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

TheDriver wrote: »
    how can the plane be ready to leave if not all passengers are checked in

Not everyone who is booked to fly will check-in. Airlines have no way of knowing this unless the person actually cancels their booking, but in these days of cheap flights, a lot of people aren't bothered cancelling.
    not contacting you about a change contravenes their own T&Cs. Maybe a letter to Aer Lingus at Dublin Airport asking for clarification about their practices?

Agreed. I'd at least write a formal letter to Aer Lingus asking for an explanation, mentioning the additional costs incurred.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

He did get there on time, his initial post said he was there 50 mins before the plane was originally due to leave!

- Drav!

aerlingus.png

So the OP had 5 minutes to spare to get to the check in, maybe ;)

Unfortunate, yes, so get writing OP :D

EDIT: Updated my post because I didn't realise Airlingus pages "expired", hence above link does not work. To get to the page I linked to got to airlingus.com (ireland), select "need help" on the homepage and then choose "Airport information"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

From the BBC

The EU has brought in some regulations that have caused wailing and gnashing of teeth in some sectors of the airline industry.
    If you are denied entry to a flight where you met all the boarding criteria - prompt check-in, valid ticket and in a fit state to board - or the flight is cancelled, you now have rights.

Many people have slept in airports over the years
    Firstly, you get "reimbursement of the cost of the ticket within seven days or a return flight to the first point of departure or re-routing to their final destination".
    You are also entitled to "care". The EU's summary mentions "refreshments, meals, hotel accommodation, transport between the airport and place of accommodation, two free telephone calls, telex or fax messages, or e-mails".
    And you're in line for compensation of 250 euros for all flights of 1,500km. You get 400 euros for all flights within the EU of more than 1,500km, and the same for all other flights between 1,500 and 3,500km. All other flights get you 600 euros. Compensation only applies to cancellation, not delay.
    The airline can avoid compensation if passengers are notified at least two weeks before departure. And if they are notified less than two weeks before, and are re-routed with only minor delays, they will also not be compensated.
    There are rights for people who are delayed. Different levels of delay entitle customers to different levels of care, while any delay of more than five hours allows a refund to be obtained, although obviously, you will not be any closer to your destination.
    But the legislation contains a glorious get-out for airlines. In "extraordinary circumstances", they do not have to compensate passengers.
    There is a great temptation for airlines to say that staffing shortages or technical faults are "extraordinary circumstances". But this get-out may not continue much longer.
    "The European Court of Justice has cracked down," says Dr Twigg-Flesner. "Technical problems are not extraordinary circumstances."
    Where it applies: The regulations are European law, so apply across the whole of the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

- Drav!

did someone not say you had to be there an hour before hand?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Was there a cutoff for checkin in the T+Cs?

From the website, check in desks close 45 minutes before departure. Unless the T+Cs in the ticket posted to you say something different, you might have a claim against them.

[edit]
    Sorry, the link won't work, their stupid website can't be linked to except with session IDs which expire. From the main page, 'Need help' ->'Airport information' -> page down through the check in bit

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

did someone not say you had to be there an hour before hand?

They "advise" you to be there an hour and a half before departure. However, the gate closing time is the actual cutoff.

In fairness, it looks like they closed the gate early, so you would have a case. You may be able to claim from your travel insurance. Otherwise, write and complain to Aer Lingus head office.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

From Gatwicks web site.
    http://www.gatwickairport.com/portal/controller/dispatcher.jsp?CiID=3bf6913ed550a110VgnVCM10000036821c0a____&ChID=a0d98a7dbadc9110VgnVCM10000036821c0a____&Ct=B2C_CT_GENERAL&CtID=448c6a4c7f1b0010VgnVCM200000357e120a____&ChPath=Home^Gatwick^General^Misc^Help^FAQs+-+our+airport

"As a general rule you should check in a minimum of one hour prior to scheduled departure time for UK and Ireland (including Channel Islands) flights and two hours before scheduled departure time for international flights. There is one important exceptions to this, which is El Al flights for which you must check in three and half hours before departure."

3.5 hours is a stupid length of time to have to be there before.

What I'd say happened is that the flight was overbooked and once they got enough passengers to fill the plane they closed the gate. If they're inside the 3.5 hours and if that's in your T&Cs of your ticket I'm not sure what compo you'll get.

There is one important exceptions to this, which is El Al flights for which you must check in three and half hours before departure."[/I]

Well, El Al have probably the strictest security checks of any airline, which is why you need to check in so early.

But, as their site says, "you should" check in 1 hour before the scheduled departure time. The OP was there 50 mins before the scheduled departure time, so should be able to claim.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I'd agree with that, but that 3.5 hours applies to EL AL (Israeli ariline?), and not aer lingus flying to ireland.

So, Gatwick airport say you should be there 1 hour before your flight is due to leave.
    Air lingus say 2h 30mins before hand, but they also state that check in closes 45mins before flights departure...
    The OP got there 50 mins before the flight was due to leave.

Clocks are funny things, and with 5 minutes in it, who's to say who's clock was right?

OP please keep us updated on how your complaint goes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Mactard wrote: »
    I'd agree with that, but that 3.5 hours applies to EL AL (Israeli ariline?), and not aer lingus flying to ireland.

Good point, I read it as EI AI. I see I was wrong there. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭JohnC.

They say check-in closes 45 minutes before and he was there 50 minutes before. Check-in opening times are irrelevant. He was there on time. From the OP, Aer Lingus themselves don't seem to dispute this and say that they closed the check-in early. The ball would seem to be in their court.

• Advertisement

Note:- Aer Lingus does not require booked passengers to reconfirm flights. Should a change in schedule occur you will be notified by e-mail

this is a bit from the confirmation email that they sent me.
    i'll get started on the letter and see how i get on, it's a pain that they don't have an email address to send a complaint too. anyway, i love you all, thanks for the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Does anyone know if it actually says in the T&C's that the flight can leave earlier than the time given on the booking?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

In all my time flying I have never heard of a flight taking off early, seriously! I hope you got details when you were at the airport as to the names of the people you spoke to and even confirmed your time with them, this is unacceptable and will hopefully be an expensive lesson for Aer Lingus.

Maybe as stated before the flight was overbooked. When we went on hols recently (not aer lingus) my sister in law had paid for seats for all her kids, as she had to since they were all over 2, the check in insisted she put the youngest on her lap, even though he was over 2 and she had paid over 400 for his flights, it took a lot of arguing, especially since the girl kept saying that the flight was fully booked but eventually he was given the seat which was paid for. How they dealt with the overbooking I have no idea, but I'd say there was some poor sod left in a similar situation as to you!

unfortunately i didn't, thinking how the hell i would be at work the next morning for 8am just took over, and i had to call my brother back before he got too far down the motorway for a lift up to stansted, as ryanair didn't leave early enough the next day.
    i really doubt the flight was overbooked. midweek on aer fungus is usually quiet. i don't think i've ever been on an aer lingus flight from london to dublin and vice versa that has ever been full.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Well look, God loves a trier so you may as well get on to them and explain your grievances. If you kick up a fuss you may get what you desrve. I hope you have insurance and let us know how it goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Rev. Kitchen

I think you have a case

I can"t see anything you have done wrong you booked a flight and turned up on time.

They changed the flight time and never notified you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

OP, two quick questions: had you already checked in online and had you any baggage apart from hand luggage??

hadn't checked in online, which was why i was trying to get there alot earlier. but i still got to the desk before it should have closed. and i had no check in luggage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

hadn't checked in online, which was why i was trying to get there alot earlier. but i still got to the desk before it should have closed. and i had no check in luggage.

Hmm hard to know so.... as it says they do close check-in around 45 mins before but 5 mins isn't that much of a difference - in your situation every second is a difference but in general terms it's not if you understand?

I wouldn't think you have a great case as they would just argue you should have either checked-in online or having not done so, arrived with more time to spare, which I know isn't exactly fair.

• Advertisement

Jev/N wrote: »

I wouldn't think you have a great case as they would just argue you should have either checked-in online or having not done so, arrived with more time to spare, which I know isn't exactly fair.

Of course he has a case. More time to spare isn't required. As long as you are there a min of 45 min before the scheduled departure of the flight, they should accept you. They closed the gate early (as the OP posted that they admitted).

Even with online checkin, the flight could have gone early. 20 min early is a lot.

Advertisement