Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus closing check in early

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

I still don't understand the flight leaving early. Is it possible the departure time was changed some time (days or weeks) beforehand but you had not been aware of it? I have checked the Aerlingus T&C's of carraige and they do not mention that they can change the time of departure at a whim without notifying you beforehand.
    http://www.flyaerlingus.com/i18n/en/htmlPopups/conds_of_carriage.html

• Registered Users Posts: 12,515 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

if it changed, they need to contact the OP and tell him

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It really doesn't matter if the OP was cutting it fine (as a business traveller, you're often cutting it fine anyway - hence the godsend of online checkin). Aer Lingus admitted that they closed checkin early thus denying him service.

You've definitely got something to complain about here. Let us know how you get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You should get on to the Aviation Regulator
    http://www.aviationreg.ie/Denied_Boarding/Default.208.html
    This might be useful, als the FAQ page may have useful information. Since you were denied check-in, even though you were outside the 45 minute window, you have a case. What kind of compensation you'll get would be up to the regulator.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Just been looking at the EU regs again for something else.

Article 1:
    1. This Regulation establishes, under the conditions specified herein, minimum rights for passengers when:

(a) they are denied boarding against their will;
    .. which you were

Article 3 para 2:
    2. Paragraph 1 shall apply on the condition that passengers:

(a) have a confirmed reservation on the flight concerned and, except in the case of cancellation referred to in Article 5, present themselves for check-in,

- as stipulated and at the time indicated in advance and in writing (including by electronic means) by the air carrier, the tour operator or an authorised travel agent,

or, if no time is indicated,

- not later than 45 minutes before the published departure time;
    ... which it would seem you did, unless your ticket specifically stated that check in closed earlier than that

Article 4 para 3:
    3. If boarding is denied to passengers against their will, the operating air carrier shall immediately compensate them in accordance with Article 7 and assist them in accordance with Articles 8 and 9.

And article 7:
    Right to compensation

1. Where reference is made to this Article, passengers shall receive compensation amounting to:

(a) EUR 250 for all flights of 1500 kilometres or less;

(b) EUR 400 for all intra-Community flights of more than 1500 kilometres, and for all other flights between 1500 and 3500 kilometres;

(c) EUR 600 for all flights not falling under (a) or (b).

Definitely worth chasing them up on this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭HarryD

IMO you have a case OP, let us know how you get on.
    I had a similar gripe with Aer Lingus some time back and wrote to them,
    the wrote back saying they'd investigate and that was the last I heard from them.
    As regards flights leaving early, I was on a flight to HKG from Gatwick a while back
    that left 25mins early as all passengers had checked-in & boarded, so it does happen,
    but in this case when ALL passengers had checked in.

Advertisement