Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Urgent VHI question

• 14-09-2009 3:41am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭

OK bear with me here.

I have VHI insurance for the last number of years. I am covered under the familys scheme and so on since I was born. Anyway, now I am working abroad and may not be back in Ireland for a few months at least or maybe a few years...

Now my health insurance is up in a few days me and my dad were wondering what to do about this. He tells me that if I dont get insured this year that I will lose all the benfits and credits I have gathered with VHI over the last number of years. I suppose you can think of it like a no claims bonus. He said that if/when I come back to Ireland if I want health insurance again I will pay for it but will have to wait anything up to 10 years to get covered or any benfit from. Its some kind of clause that I havent heard about.

Now this seems a bit crazy to me but do I have the above right? And if so is there anyway around it other than pay for insurace you will never use?

Sorry if this makes sense but thats who it was explained to me
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

jank wrote: »
    OK bear with me here.

I have VHI insurance for the last number of years. I am covered under the familys scheme and so on since I was born. Anyway, now I am working abroad and may not be back in Ireland for a few months at least or maybe a few years...

Now my health insurance is up in a few days me and my dad were wondering what to do about this. He tells me that if I dont get insured this year that I will lose all the benfits and credits I have gathered with VHI over the last number of years. I suppose you can think of it like a no claims bonus. He said that if/when I come back to Ireland if I want health insurance again I will pay for it but will have to wait anything up to 10 years to get covered or any benfit from. Its some kind of clause that I havent heard about.

Now this seems a bit crazy to me but do I have the above right? And if so is there anyway around it other than pay for insurace you will never use?

Sorry if this makes sense but thats who it was explained to me

Your dad is essentially correct. When you take out health insurance in Ireland, waiting periods apply to your cover: i.e. lengths of time you have to be a member before certain types of cover kick in. (A different story if you're transferring between Irish health insurers, but that's not applicable in your case).

However, it may not be as bad as you think. The ten years that your dad refers to is the waiting period that applies to pre existing conditions if someone is 60 or over when they join. Vhi's website has a list of the waiting periods here.

You could downgrade your cover to the cheapest possible product (be it from VHI or abother insurer) so that when you come back you have some kind of cover, even if it isn't exactly the one you have at the moment.

You could also perhaps switch to VHI's Global plan, which covers people who are aborad for 6 months or more. When you come back, all the time on Global is recognised as well. The catch there is that it's pricey (circa €1,200) but at least you'll have health insurance that you can use abroad and will be recognised when you come back.

One thing to bear in mind though is that you don't have to make this decison before you go. As you say yourself, you may only be abroad for a few months and vhi will cover people abroad for emergency treatment for up to six months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭honkytonk52

yeah the best thing to do would be to go for a global policy the price all depends on your age and where you are living if you are in the US or Canada it can be very expensive, also if you do cancel and have a break in cover of more than 13 week all wating periods will apply when you come back, essentially you will be joinig as a new member again, also as standard on policy you have 180 days cover for emergency but if you trip in longer than 180 days this will be void and you will not have cover

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

If you are not more than 180 days out of the country and didn't let your cover lapse for more than 13 wekks, there would be no waiting period.

Advertisement