Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SSH Tunneling + Proxifier

• 14-09-2009 8:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

First off, I think this is the right board for this, if it's not, sorry, Boards is big... (Incidentally, if a mod here moves a thread, do I at least get a PM saying where it's gone?)

Second, I am new to anything more complicated than Tor, so apologies in advance for asking stupid questions.

OK.

I have myself a server, to which I have previously logged onto using Putty, so I assume I have everything I need. I'm going to go down what I think I have to do to tunnel all my outgoing traffic, with questions as they arise.

0) Putty is configured with the login details for the proxy.

1) In Putty, fill out details as usual (does the port matter here? I see 22 offered by default)

2) Under SSH/Tunneling, choose a source port (does THIS matter?) and Dynamic destination.

3) Start session, log in per usual. Tunnel is now in operation (right?)

4) Point Proxifier to 127.0.0.1, set it going.

5) Launch... well, whatever.

Should this (in theory) work? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

IBTL

College techs will have you hung, drawn and quartered for trying this.

MC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Fedule

OK, we could get into a big discussion about second guessing what college techs will and won't hang, draw and quarter one for, but that's a seperate matter. Incidentally, in my case (and those of others at my college) they've never intervened in anything other than filesharing.

Should what I posted work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Fedule wrote: »
    (Incidentally, if a mod here moves a thread, do I at least get a PM saying where it's gone?)

Not unless the mod is feeling particularly helpful. Sometimes they may post in thread if they move it.(the good ones will anyway :)) If you look up the top left there at the breadcrumbs trail you'll be able to see if it's moved anyway.

What you posted looks fine btw.

Sherifu wrote: »

Thanks. Does the choice of ports make a huge difference (ie is it worth choosing anything other than 22 and 8080? I've heard chatter about using 443 instead of 8080...)

Sherifu wrote: »

Don't see the words Mod of this section after your name so really we shouldn't second guess what decision will be made but going on previous decisions this will run foul of the rules.

MC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Don't see the words Mod of this section after your name so really we shouldn't second guess what decision will be made but going on previous decisions this will run foul of the rules.

MC
    What are you talking about?

I didn't say whether it's allowed or not. I merely stated it should work from a technical point of view. If you have concerns report the post and stop dragging the thread O/T. You should know how this place works by now ;)

Oookay, is discussing tunneling not allowed here? OP cleaned up, in any case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

MC

Discussions of tunneling are fine (as are discussions of torrents and any other technology with a legitimate use). Tunneling's a great technology. I use it _every_ day.

OP: Your setup sounds fine. If you're going to proxy web traffic, the SSH server on linux boxes has built in SOCKS proxy support. Consider using compression on the connection if the remote machine is far away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Sorry to hijack but got any decent guides to tunnelling?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

You've probably seen people discussing ports like 80, 443 (and possibly 8080) because these ports could be less likely to be filtered than e.g. the standard SSH port. This is a setting that would need to be changed on the server though. If you're able to get a connection on port 22, you don't need to worry about that.

Your source port doesn't matter (although some OS won't let a non-admin user open a local port below 1024).
    Don't see the words Mod of this section after your name so really we shouldn't second guess what decision will be made but going on previous decisions this will run foul of the rules

I see you're no stranger to the mod back seat yourself :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Go pick some other Fruit as you are barking up the wrong tree :P,
    I reported the post early this morning as the OP is asking for this info to breach college policy so as to play games using college equipment, which if it was in a business setting would be a serious disciplinary issue

How is this any different? http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055681454

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

This thread asks a general question about tunneling, the other thread explicity asks a question about circumventing a businesses firewall.

It's like threads on torrenting v's threads on getting episodes of lost through torrents. It's a somewhat fine line I grant you but there you have it.

Ok, thanks all so far, but I need to double check the Destination field in Putty (Note that I haven't actually tried running this since I won't have access to the machine I want to use for another week). Currently I have it blank with Dynamic checked below this. But everything I've been reading about SSH tunnels (which usually involves specific applications like mail clients) talks about filling that out and choosing Local. I understand Destination refers to another machine+port for the connection to be forwarded to, but I'm connecting to a server I want to use as a proxy. So what, exactly do I do with this field? I'm told so far in this thread that what I've posted will work... but maybe one more reassurance is needed?

Advertisement