Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strong wireless signal but no internet

Options
  • 14-09-2009 10:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I've read through the sticky on wireless but I am still lost!

I have just signed up with NTL 3mb broadband. So I have the NTL modem and the whole thing works fine when I plug the cable directly into my laptop.

I have a Netgear router which I previously used with Irish Broadband at another address. I want to use this router with NTL now. So I plug the cable from the modem into the router and turn on my laptop. On my laptop I can see that I am connected to the wireless network and the signal strenght is excellent.

But when I try to connect to the internet (firefox) I cannot connect. Do I need to do something with IP addresses? Is it the router or the NTL modem that has an IP address? I'm not very techy but surely I'm almost there with this- is there just something simple I'm not doing?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

SueWho wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I have just signed up with NTL 3mb broadband. So I have the NTL modem and the whole thing works fine when I plug the cable directly into my laptop.

I have a Netgear router which I previously used with Irish Broadband at another address. I want to use this router with NTL now. So I plug the cable from the modem into the router and turn on my laptop. On my laptop I can see that I am connected to the wireless network and the signal strenght is excellent.

But when I try to connect to the internet (firefox) I cannot connect. Do I need to do something with IP addresses? Is it the router or the NTL modem that has an IP address? I'm not very techy but surely I'm almost there with this- is there just something simple I'm not doing?

Thanks in advance.

Is the router set to collect an address by DHCP from the UPC modem, or is it set for static addresses as some IBB products use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭wobzilla

sounds like an ip address problem alright. Either your laptop is set to use a dynamic address and dhcp is turned off on the router, or the laptop has a static ip address and the router is using dhcp and has already asigned the address to another computer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

SueWho wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Thanks in advance.

IBB usually set the IP address of the (Netgear) router manually . The address they set won't work on anyone elses network

Try this

Get a command box open :

Click on "Start" ---> "Run" type in cmd

type in ipconfig

take note of the number after " Default Gateway " ........

( it will be something like 192.168. something )

type that number into the addressbar of your browser

It might look for a password.

If you look on the bottom of the router itself , the password is written on the little sticker.

Look around for " WAN settings " or something similar

It will probably be set to " Manual" and be something like " 87.192. something"

Set it to " DHCP" ( Automatic ) and apply/save it.

Before you log out of the router , have a look around there for

" MAC Spoofing "

and note where it is , you might need it if this doesn't work

If it doesn't work , reboot the NTL modem and reboot the Netgear

If it still doesn't work ,

Click on "Start" ---> "Run" type in cmd

type in ipconfig /all

Look around for

" Physical Address " under " Ethernet"

and make a note of it

(It will be something like 00-06-7e-4f-8e-9f )

" MAC spoofing " box , and put in the "Physical Address" number you made a note of

Save/apply it , give it a few minutes , if it doesn't work , reboot the whole lot again

Advertisement