Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

development contribution scheme, overcharged??

• 14-09-2009 10:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭

OK, we got planning granted but we were stiffed with the development contribution scheme charge of 3136 euros, now the house is only 224 sq/m (the archtitecht put down total 309 sq/m), do they take the garage into consideration?, I thought it was based on the dwelling only?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

The garage wouldnt be included when calculating the devp. contributions.

You are fully entitled to query this. Go into the planning office and ask to see your file and look up the planners report and see how they came to this conclusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

Alot of councils have the development charges online now.

They usually charge seperate for roads, sewer and water mains, so if your connecting to watermains and/or connecting to a public sewer it will be expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Jimbo wrote: »

They usually charge seperate for roads, sewer and water mains, so if your connecting to watermains and/or connecting to a public sewer it will be expensive.

I paid over €4,000 for road improvements and amenity (whatever that is) before we were allowed to start building.
    We've our own sewerage system, our own well, etc. so hard to know what the money was for really.
    I made sure when I was paying it to complain about every pothole on the road. I wanted to get some value for my money. The potholes were fixed within a fortnight. Might've been a coincidence but it made it easier to swallow forking out the cash..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

muffler wrote: »
    The garage wouldnt be included when calculating the devp. contributions.

You are fully entitled to query this. Go into the planning office and ask to see your file and look up the planners report and see how they came to this conclusion.

Thanks Muffler, I have asked the architect to query this a couple of times and nothing has been done by him, I do know that on the application form for the planning, the architect put a figure of 309 sq/m but on the house plans including upstairs and downstairs only comes to 224 sq/m.

I have phone the planners today to query this and they were asking why I din't appeal it... I explained to them that I had questioned this with my architect.

We will see what happens

I paid over €4,000 for road improvements and amenity (whatever that is) before we were allowed to start building.
    We've our own sewerage system, our own well, etc. so hard to know what the money was for really.
    I made sure when I was paying it to complain about every pothole on the road. I wanted to get some value for my money. The potholes were fixed within a fortnight. Might've been a coincidence but it made it easier to swallow forking out the cash..

I thought that's what your road tax was for!

• Advertisement

Jimbo wrote: »

we will be having a private well, septic tank system and paying for our own road!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

It does seem a bit steep so.

The roads contribution is for the local public roads, not your own access road.

Do you mind me asking what local authority it is?

the council won't budge, the house is 224 sq/m and the architect put down 309 sq/m, the council have told me I should have appealed the charge at the start, what is annoying is that the day planning was granted and I saw the high charge I contacted the architect and have done so since, he failed to do his job.

so where do I go now?

CamperMan wrote: »
    the council won't budge, the house is 224 sq/m and the architect put down 309 sq/m, the council have told me I should have appealed the charge at the start, what is annoying is that the day planning was granted and I saw the high charge I contacted the architect and have done so since, he failed to do his job.

so where do I go now?
    First port of call is the planning department as I advised earlier. Put it in writing to them - asking them to outline the basis on which the development contributions were calculated. Ask them for a full breakdown together with a detailed list of how their devp contributions are derived. Sometimes this is contained in their development plan. You might want to check out contribution charges imposed on other recently granted permissions and make the comparisons with your own.

If after that you feel you were overcharged the you can either take it up with your architect if you feel he was derelict in his duties or alternatively push the council into agreeing that there was an error made.

good news.... the council reduced the charge by €1500

• Advertisement

You always have to go fighting for these things at times. Glad to hear you got the reduction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Nice one, persistance pays off.....

• Registered Users Posts: 30 uxak

they were looking for 6500 euro from us. we got on to them and they misculculated it and went down to 6000 euro.
    there is a town sewerage system in place here but it does not reach as far as where we are building. it seems like thay are charging us for it. i have to put in my own treatment system so i think they would have to deduct that from my bill as well.. or hopefully connect me to general sewerage since they are charging me for it.
    any ideas how to tackle this issue?

thanks

uxak wrote: »
    they were looking for 6500 euro from us. we got on to them and they misculculated it and went down to 6000 euro.
    there is a town sewerage system in place here but it does not reach as far as where we are building. it seems like thay are charging us for it. i have to put in my own treatment system so i think they would have to deduct that from my bill as well.. or hopefully connect me to general sewerage since they are charging me for it.
    any ideas how to tackle this issue?

thanks
    Read a couple of my posts from above.

You need to see the list of charges they have adopted and look at your planning file and see how the planner derived the figure. Then chase them up on it.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

CamperMan wrote: »
    good news.... the council reduced the charge by €1500

great, now hows about a contribution towards some christmas beers :P :D

(kidding, good news!)

sydthebeat wrote: »
    great, now hows about a contribution towards some christmas beers :P :D

(kidding, good news!)
    I'm skint

Advertisement