Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is the most efficient fireplace and fuel?

• 14-09-2009 11:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

Can anyone one advise me on the most efficient type of fire insert as I havent a clue!?

We have a type 1 chimney, and no fireplace or surround at the moment. I would be interested in gas rather than solid fuel, simply because I would prefer not to have to set a fire and take out ashes. But are gas fires less efficient? What about insert fires, heat reflective glass and mason bricks? :confused::confused: I don't even know what to google to try to educate myself a bit! :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭fmcc

Scuba glass fronted gas fire insert is probably the most efficient and least hassle are you on nat gas or bottles?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Scubachick

Thanks FMCC. It will have to be bottles. But that may cause more issues as the chimney breast is to the front of the house and I dont fancy the big red cylinder being left there. Is there a max distance which the cylinder can be sited? Perhaps gas would not be suitable???:confused: Oh dear - more questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭fmcc

Bottles can be pretty much any distance from the fire you just need to use a bigger pipe. An installer could advise on site better. There are however seperation distances from drains boundries and oil tanks/boilers etc. The cost of bottles gas would be my only other issue which will come down to how often it will be in use, ie. good room used at christmas and for visitors or everyday room for family. On average gas fire uses 1 litre gas per hour cost approx E1.10 cent per hour 4-5 hours a night x 7 days a week = hefty bill for one room. Plus's are instant heat no fuel in no ashes out very very clean.

Advertisement