Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bord gais

Options
  • 14-09-2009 11:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭

Hi

i bought a house recently and moving in around november. Rang bord gais to see how much it would cost to change my name onto the house(has to be done) I was expecting about 100- 150.

They told me 400 EURO

wtf?????? I dont have that kind of money to be handing over just to put my name ona bill. Has anyone else paid this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Did they explain why it costs so much?
    Maybe you should look into getting another supplier?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

That sounds as the deposit for a new account (I recall it being 400EUR deposit for new customers); not the cost to change name but I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You are required to provide *security on opening your account with Bord Gais Energy. Standard Security is:
    * €400.00 deposit
    * or
    * Bill-Pay Direct Debit
    Yeah maybe they meant the deposit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭useful_contacts

Magnus wrote: »
    Yeah maybe they meant the deposit

jesus i dont have that kind of money floating around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

its the deposit. €400 or €200 with DD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It's their standard terms and conditions. All of the utilities companies will require some form of a deposit and/or direct debit agreements.

Maybe you can contact them and see if they can be more flexible with you.

BTW - this isn't meant to sound smart, but should you be buying a house if you don't have some cash to spare when emergencies crop up?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

dudara wrote: »
    BTW - this isn't meant to sound smart, but should you be buying a house if you don't have some cash to spare when emergencies crop up?

Agreed,

tbh I don't see this as a consumer issue, this type of deposit policy happens with alot of different providers for some very valid reason.

If you don't like it then pay via Direct Debit

Cabaal wrote: »
    Agreed,

tbh I don't see this as a consumer issue, this type of deposit policy happens with alot of different providers for some very valid reason.

If you don't like it then pay via Direct Debit
    even if you pay with DD, standard BGE practise is to ask for a €200 deposit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭useful_contacts

dudara wrote: »
    It's their standard terms and conditions. All of the utilities companies will require some form of a deposit and/or direct debit agreements.

Maybe you can contact them and see if they can be more flexible with you.

that spare cash i had is gone towards replacing the busted up front door and broken windows in the house

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭yeroulfella

when I moved into my place I rang up to change the gas to my name and it cost nothing :confused:

• Advertisement

when I moved into my place I rang up to change the gas to my name and it cost nothing :confused:
    Its normally only if youre renting, or if the address has a bad credit history

Advertisement