Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Water rates - people with their own wells?

• 14-09-2009 11:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭

It looks likely that water rates are going to be introduced soon.. It got me wondering whether households with their own well would be liable to the rates or exempt on the basis that they don't use any public supply?

You would think such individuals would be exempt from the charges but stranger things have happened.. The report from the Commission for Taxation doesn't clarify whether or not such households would be liable. Has anyone any thoughts?

Sorry mods if I've put this up on the wrong forum, feel free to move... It may however be very relevant to people building houses so thought this might be a place to post...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

I would think the fact that you supplied your own water supply you should be exempt.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

think this may be more suitable here.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Will need to await the detailed proposals, but, in theory at least, the charge should be based on the amount consumed, otherwise any "green" credentials are completely lost. Hence if you do not have a supply, you would not be charged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Turbury

It looks likely that water rates are going to be introduced soon.. It got me wondering whether households with their own well would be liable to the rates or exempt on the basis that they don't use any public supply?

You would think such individuals would be exempt from the charges but stranger things have happened.. The report from the Commission for Taxation doesn't clarify whether or not such households would be liable. Has anyone any thoughts?

Sorry mods if I've put this up on the wrong forum, feel free to move... It may however be very relevant to people building houses so thought this might be a place to post...

I've heard it mentioned that all will have to pay because people with their own wells are using water that would otherwise have entered into the public water resevoir/lake etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

Turbury wrote: »
    I've heard it mentioned that all will have to pay because people with their own wells are using water that would otherwise have entered into the public water resevoir/lake etc.

God knows, we have no shortage of water, it's the storing, treatment and supply of it. Is that what the rates are for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Logically, you would think that you are getting charged for using a publicly supplied service so you should not be charged if you have your own supply.
    Are we to be charged for the natural resource, albeit from 180 feet below our own land, or are we being charged for the service to bring it to our taps? Charging individuals with their own supply would in my opinion be grossly unfair. Fairness should be at the centre of any tax, but possibly not in Ireland in 2010.
    We'll have to wait and see I suppose until more details are announced..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭blast05

If water rates were introduced for people who have their own supply then i think it would nearly drive me to assault any politician involved in the decision.
    In the last year, i have spent 4.5K on an effluent treatment system (which takes all water from taps, baths as well as toilets), i have paid 6K to drill a well (to 350 feet) and have paid 2K for an all-house water treatment system.
    12.5K in total.
    And all because the local water supply and sewage pipe only come to within a 3/4 of a mile of my house.

How would they propose to implement the scheme if they were to do it - enter on to my private land and fit a water meter on my private property ?!
    If they were to expect me to pay water rates, then i would expect them to take ownership of my well and ensure there is never any issue with it along with ensuring my water treatment system always works ok, i.e.: same service anyone on mains water gets.
    Also, one can buy the mineral rights to land in Ireland for as little as €1 per acre (in parts of the country where all known surveys have shown there to be nothing of value under the ground) so this would somehow have to be impacted if the government suddenly decided that they own all ground water in the country.
    How would this work if you owned an off-shore island where obviously the ground-water is from under your land only ?
    What if you harvested water from your roof, stored it and treated it ?

Water tax on people who have their own water supply .... bullsh*t of the highest order that would see a revolt from rural Ireland that would make any potential property tax protests look like toddlers fighting over a toy in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Mazotasan

Totally agree with Blast05 above...people with own water supplies will not be charged in my opinion...as we speak the grants for well boring are being phased out. Grants were available as the water mains do not cover all areas and if house x happens to be on the mains and has free water whilst Joe soap up the road has no access to the mains why should he be punished...the phasing out of the grants to me is a clear signal that water charges are on the way...personally I would have no problem paying for charges if I am reimbursed for my well boring, pump and water treatment!

Depending on the water charges...could be a good time to invest in a big drill!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭stifz

When they offer to reimburse me for the digging of my well, and then pay me rental and maintenance fee's for the last 6 years for my water treatment system. Including the amount of salt used and the cost of the system itself.

Then.... test my water periodically for the rest of its existence & use thus providing treatment upgrades to ensure that my water is 100% clear to drink at all times.

And then.... make payment to me for the use of the well as its on my own land as they refused to run a water pipe to it when asked and give me a written apology for F*cking me around for nearly 2 years with B*llsh*it paper work for grants that they do everything in their power not to give to the point where you tire of it and borrow to get a treatment system.. then .. and only then... will i tell them... I'm not paying a single penny for water extracted on my own land at my own expense. They've neglected rural Ireland services for years so leave us be..

Sligthy bitter..

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭JohnnyMustang22

I have to agree with you guys. I own a well drilling company and currently the government do not charge "water abstraction" charges for wells but believe me they are coming. For businesses first then eventually households. Currently in NI only businesses get charged if they abstract over a certain threshold of water.

This government rely heavily on groundwater in this country for public water supply but they care little about the protection of this valuable resource. They carry out full treatment on any water they use so they dont really care about protection, it is the rural individuals that will suffer as the cost of full treatment of water is crazy. There are no regulations for well construction, no licensing, no guidelines so due to bad practise and the short comings of this government groundwater continues to get polluted.

Generally, if you need it the government will find some way to tax you on it. The more you need it the more you get taxed on it. Water, Food, Clothes, Car, Fuel. They will get you one way or another unless of course you locate yourself abroad and avoid paying any tax at all which is totally fine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement