Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Record shops in Strabane during the eighties

• 14-09-2009 12:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭

Was at a gig in London last weekend, and could remember travelling into Strabane to buy this bands first album, back in the late eighties.
    And a couple of years later I also bought a new car stereo in the same shop.
    Anybody remember the name of the shop, I think it was opposite woolworths, or was that wellworths....

(now this forum has almost got more threads than moderators ;-)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 bigaid1

Was at a gig in London last weekend, and could remember travelling into Strabane to buy this bands first album, back in the late eighties.
    And a couple of years later I also bought a new car stereo in the same shop.
    Anybody remember the name of the shop, I think it was opposite woolworths, or was that wellworths....

(now this forum has almost got more threads than moderators ;-)

it was probably TRAFFIC, opposite wellies on the main street, great shop in its day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,196 ✭✭✭✭muffler

bigaid1 wrote: »
    it was probably TRAFFIC, opposite wellies on the main street, great shop in its day
    That would be it :)

Funny thing is I dont think there is any kind of music store in Strabane now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Aligator Farmer

Thats the one thanks.

There used to be several music shops in Stabane back then.
    There was the one on the same side as wellworths that sold instruments too, can't remember what that was called either, bought my first guitar there!
    Then there was another one that just sold records.
    haven't been round that way for years.
    Sounds like they're all gone then.

Thats the one thanks.

There was the one on the same side as wellworths that sold instruments too, can't remember what that was called either, bought my first guitar there!

only record you would get in strabane nowadays is a criminal record. it is becoming more of a hole as every year goes by.

for the record, i do not live in strabane and hopefully never will. i do be in it.

bigaid1 wrote: »
    only record you would get in strabane nowadays is a criminal record. it is becoming more of a hole as every year goes by.

for the record, i do not live in strabane and hopefully never will. i do be in it.
    No pun intended Im sure ;)

• Advertisement

muffler wrote: »
    No pun intended Im sure ;)

never even noticed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭theblueirish

Thats the one thanks.

guessing that would be deery's, have my sisters old copy of the grease album with a deery's price tag, think it was 90p

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭irlpic

Wasn't there a shop near Woolies called Music Maker or was it Melody Maker?

It was Music Maker, was more used for video rentals as far as i remember, did a good line in adult films so i heard, ;)

did a good line in adult films so i heard, ;)
    What! You went in blindfolded :D

• Advertisement

It was back in the days when I was young and fit enough to go chasing the real thing, I could have hired them vids as educational.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Traffic and Music Maker.... aaahhh... those were the days :)

I remember Traffic was always targeted by the bombers and every time it was bombed there would be great "water and smoke damaged" sales. There used to be brilliant bargains on offer and then Traffic would be rebuilt twice as big only for it to be bombed again 6 months later.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Jim S

Deery's in Strabane open until the late 70's pre dates both them. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Cheekies in main street too, but I think that didn't open till the early 90's.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Jim S

I still have several 33 1/3's which came from Deery's a good shop in its day Deery Brothers were nice men.

Advertisement