Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

feckin dogs!!

Options
  • 14-09-2009 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭

it annoys me when I go for a walk in the countryside and the peace is shattered when dogs come running at you from the owners house barking and snapping at you...., yesterday, we went for a 5 mile walk and encountered 9 dogs, none of them on leads, none of them enclosed, just free to run out of the gardens and onto the public road. :mad:

I think ALL dogs should only be on the owners property unless on a lead!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Steve30x

I dont agree they should be on a lead. Thats kind of cruel but they should be at least fenced in and not be able to get out of the garden. Some people just dont care though. If I had a house in the country my dog would be in a well fenced garden so she cant get out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭wexford202

I think what the OP is saying is the only way the dog should be able to leave the owners property is on a lead.

I don't think he/she is saying that it should be on a lead when on the owners property.

I have a dof who is not a lover of other dogs. I cracks me up when I am walking him and the other dogs come out either just to ay hello or start a fight.

I agree with the Op they should all be fenced into the garden regardless of in town or the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

I fully agree! I live in the countryside and there is no way in HELL I would allow Gunnar anywhere near the road! I'm too afraid of him straying or getting run over!

He's only allowed outside to the garden off lead under my supervision. No exception. I won't even allow him out under anyone elses supervision because I know he will stop for me when I say NO.

There is nothing more annoying when I'm driving to or from work and I get dogs chasing the car or just aimlessly wandering the road. I feel sorry for the dogs as obviously the owners don't care if they get run over, hurt by another dog or even stolen!

I think to not keep your dog supervised is wreckless behaviour for any dog owner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭wexford202

Yeah it is a pain when one runs out in front of you and you have to doge them.

My mother hit someones dog there about a year ago and the poor thing died. It did about three grands worth of damage in the process which it's owber had to pay!

A fence would have cost alot less and they would still have their lovely dog!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I look at this from another angle: many of the larger dogs roam in packs, and can kill animals. A problem esp around lambing season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭dmy1001

title should be Feckin owners not feckin dogs me thinks:D

very annoying and frustrating.....i live in country and never can go for a walk on the roads without being attacked.

Not only large dogs that kill animals either. many people thing because they have a little terrier that he is not a dangerous dog and is ok to leave free roaming to annoy the life out of everyone else. statistically the dogs that bite the most are the little ones i think.
    Owners should be fined large sums of money for dogs on the loose!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭spiderdog

yes....this is my pet hate!!!!!
    i`ve been known to shout in at the house asking them why they have gates if they`re left open!!!:mad:
    so dangerous too, with cars zipping past too fast and too close (pet hate number two :P )
    i dont think people realise they`d be liable if their dog were to cause an accident!!!!
    i have to carry a stick when im walking any of my lot...the look of it puts some of the dogs off running out, but i find it sooo annoying :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Oh flip don't get me started there's only a small handful of people near us that keep their dogs under control and enclosed in gardens/runs etc.
    The rest let the dogs run around on the road setting all the other dogs off.
    You would think living in the countryside would be brilliant if you're a dog owner but walking the dogs is a pain in the backside between no footpaths and dogs running out at you or following you or trying to fight with your dog who's just trying to enjoy their walk on the lead.

Owners simply don't care or are so vain about their garden they won't put up a bit of wire fencing. One poor dog is still running around the road on 3 legs presuming the dog lost one in a road accident coz it's just allowed run amok.

Stupid owners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭blackbetty69

i have a dog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Harris

And????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 jessicaR

DOG OWNERS!!! One of my favourite issues to have a rant about:mad:
    Since we moved house our garden is very accessible to people and unfortunately dogs. There was a while when there were half a dozen dogs visiting us regularily causing havoc. It's not just the dog crap and the digging up the flower beds but we also keep rabbits and we had some near miss accidents and several escaped rabbits until we got around to double fencing their run. There seems to be a general attitude that it is your responsibility to make your garden dog proof and fence your own animals in rather than the dog owner's responsibility to keep their dog safe.... It drives me insane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭PetrovthePrat

It's not just the countryside. Our brat is learning how to behave on the lead at the moment and it'd bloody hard when we can't take a walk without at least one dog off the lead yapping and distracting him. Considering bringing a riding crop in future,not for the dogs mind,but for the muppetts not controling them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭dee o gee

Iv the same problem, unfortunately some people who live in the country don't see the need to fence in their property. Fair enough I can kind of sympathise with them if they have big fences but the dog is jumping over them but the majority of them just don't even bother trying to keep the dog in, they put up these tiny little walls expecting them to keep the dog in or leave the gates wide open.
    My pet hate is seeing these big houses going up in the countryside with big '09 cars and jeeps outside them and of course no fence to keep the dogs in, its not like they can't afford a fence.:mad:

I live in a small estate in a wee village in the countryside and our neighbour, who might I mention is a vet and should know better, has a female boxer. They let her out running around the estate nearly every day, she went to the bother of putting a big gate at one side of the house but not the other, they used to tie her at the side of the house but they've since stopped that.
    A few months ago she attacked my wee terrier while I was out walking him and he has since been quite scared of being out front since and barks quite aggressively at her whenever he sees her, now I would'nt blame him for this but it looks quite bad when the neighbours hear our fella sounding like a feral dog and that edjit of a dog is just standing there looking at him. One of my neighbours seen the attack and as he has 2 young girls is understandably worried, and most of the others are pretty peed off about her 'doin her business' in their gardens, my neighbour mentioned this to her and kindly suggested that she keep her dog enclosed, well it worked for about a month and shes out now again, mind ya not as much but its still annoying!!
    Thinking of ringing the dog warden about it, but as she's a vet she'l probably get a slap on the wrist, and I don't want to see the dog getting taken away for it as its not really her fault.:rolleyes:

And also whats more annoying is we went to the bother of putting up FOUR six foot fences, two at either side, and quite a lot of boards running under the fence to stop him digging out, just to keep a wee terrier thats not even up to my knee inside the garden, cost a bomb!!:D

Woops sorry for the rant, been holding that one inside for a while.:D

Advertisement