Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reverse Racism/Sexism

Options
  • 14-09-2009 1:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭

Why is it so socially acceptable for black people to be reverse racists?

Racism is evil in all its guises. It is completely wrong, dangerous and provoking.

However there are huge double standards at play here. Much like there is with sexism.

Black rap artists can refer to "whitie" at their leisure. They can openly profess a hatred for all "white men" and they know they wont face censure. Its ok for black people to refer to white people, in public, as "white boy".
    "let the white boy dance and we can laugh" .....

Lead singer with Mega Band "The Fugees" Lauryn Hill is on record as saying "she would rather her black children starved to death than have white people buy her music" ..... :eek: And no one has the balls to stand up and say this woman is a racist!!

But if the opposite happened and say Oasis released a record about "Blacks" (even the word sounds racist) or say a well known entertainer constantly referred to black people as "The Blacks" etc etc etc.....your likely to get locked up.

Just ask Kanye West................

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭OldJay

Why is this in politics section???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Liam79

you dont think this is a political issue? Just because i paraphrased Pop Culture does not make this any less of a political issue....what would you put it under my friend? Not all politics is economics you know!

I'm not sure the white man has faced centuries of systematic colonisation and dehumanisation at the hands of the black people. I'm not sure they faced centuries of being compared to savages and treated like animals, or that there was a huge slave trade in white people.

So not sure any white person can claim that such abuse is anywhere remotely similar to racism. White on black racism can, I guess, be seen as a throwback to the time when the belief that whites were better people prevailed.

Liam79 wrote: »
    you dont think this is a political issue? Just because i paraphrased Pop Culture does not make this any less of a political issue....what would you put it under my friend? Not all politics is economics you know!

The Humanities section I would have thought suit it perfectly.
    Your post was not political. Your first few words even confirm this: "Why is so socially acceptable . . . "

Or else you could always try the Entertainment section.

Conor, is a white man calls a black man "blackie" he is racist
    If a black man calls a white man "whitie"..thats ok

Explain that one to me my friend. Cheers.

• Advertisement

Justind wrote: »
    The Humanities section I would have thought suit it perfectly.
    Your post was not political. Your first few words even confirm this: "Why is so socially acceptable . . . "

Or else you could always try the Entertainment section.

Entertainment section.......?? You think Rcism is "entertainment" ....are you for real?

you seem a bit of a political snob to be honest!

Conor, is a white man calls a black man "blackie" he is racist
    If a black man calls a white man "whitie"..thats ok

You mean explain it again!

White on black racism is a relic from centuries of persecution, genocide, slavery, colonisation etc. All those practices whereby whites spread the notion that blacks were inferior and no better than animals.

Black on white 'racism' carries no such connotation. Lauryn Hill may be angry about the treatment of blacks, it is not at all the same feeling that members of the Ku Klux Klan might have for black people. It is an entirely different issue. It is not at all the same thing phenomenon in reverse.

Self-perceived moral justification. 'Oppressor' v 'Oppressed' etc.
    See? A sociological, not political, debate.

You're welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Lead singer with Mega Band "The Fugees" Lauryn Hill is on record as saying "she would rather her black children starved to death than have white people buy her music" ..... :eek: And no one has the balls to stand up and say this woman is a racist!!

Actually, given her hijinks over the last decade (including demanding to be referred to as "Ms Hill" and "Empress", O Connoresque rants at the church and media), people have stood up and said she's a nut.

You ever been victimised by a black majority Liam?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Nodin wrote: »
    You ever been victimised by a black majority Liam?

I have, went to a neighbourhood store with a co-worker, from when I was working in the states, man behind the counter refused service, and told my friend never to bring a white man into his store again.

Personally I believe this tolerance for "reverse racism" has gone to far. If someone is being light hearted/comediens etc no problem, as long as the same people don't whine about some other comedian doing the same about them. If it's someone being intentionally racist I won't stand for it, no matter who it's against.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

The fact is, most of its is light hearted. The vast majority of sales of "black" music is to white people. When Snoop Dogg plays here, its "whitey" that forms the majority. The phenomena is exaggerated.

prinz wrote: »
    I have, went to a neighbourhood store with a co-worker, from when I was working in the states, man behind the counter refused service, and told my friend never to bring a white man into his store again.

That behaviour is unacceptable and offensive...but still wouldn't say (and in fairness, you haven't either, making this point to the OP) that it is the exact same as white on black racism, only the other way around.

Nodin wrote: »
    The fact is, most of its is light hearted. The vast majority of sales of "black" music is to white people. When Snoop Dogg plays here, its "whitey" that forms the majority. The phenomena is exaggerated.

Agreed. Case closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭geuro

Liam, I don't really think the issue of black on white racism is a very serious one, especially not when compared to the racist abuse that black people have had to tolerate for generations. When black people suffer racist abuse now, it is in the context of the suffering that black people have had inflicted upon them in the past. So when we speak of black on white racism, we are not comparing like with like.

However, I do agree that black on white racism is too acceptable nowadays. Whether it is less offensive than white on black racism is beside the point, the fact is that it is humiliating and offensive. I think intelligent people, black and white, by and large, would be in agreement.

That behaviour is unacceptable and offensive...but still wouldn't say (and in fairness, you haven't either, making this point to the OP) that it is the exact same as white on black racism, only the other way around.

Was told afterwards that it wasn't so much racism, as apparently the sight of a white guy, in the outskirts if Hartford CT, going into a liquor store will draw all sorts of wanted attention from law enforcement. They'd assume I was looking for/dealing drugs. Charming city that it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,259 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Anyone familiar with 'Terry Tate, Office Linebacker', youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzToNo7A-94

It was an ad for Reebok and the basic primis was of a large NFL linebacker patrolling a corporate office enforcing office rules such as making more coffee when you use the last drop, using the recycle bins correctly etc.

Throughout the commercial Terry (black) only attacks white office workers, no other black or Asians.

And from the ad you get the impression that Terry is a good guy and all the offenders are silly, dweeby, cowardly white guys

Now if that was a ad with a white enforcer enforcing the rules on black, white or Asian workers it would never even make it to the airwaves.

I think the weight of history has allowed a certain double standard when it comes to what can and cannot be portrayed in the media, in America epically.

Thanks for the feedback lads. Glad to know I am not the only one who feels this. And in answer to the question about have I ever been subjected to this behaviour? Yes, I have. Was in NY over the summer, got off the train a stop early at Canal St. Waited for the next train. Got on, was the only "whitie" in the carriage. "No room for you here white boy" was the roar from the back of the car. I ignored it, and it came again. "No room for you here white boy" so i just glanced back....next thing i know 2 big guys are over me demanding i leave the carriage. It was at least half full and most of the passengers looked like decent normal african american natives, but as i got up and left (who wouldnt) the carriage errupted in applause and whoops of Bye Bye whitie....
    Charming......
    But hey as Conor said, their grand daddys were abused by white folks i never met, so its ok then...........:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 932 ✭✭✭PaulieD

Black on white crime is never considered a hate crime, but the opposite does not hold true. Why is that? A "hate crime" is a crime perpetrated by a White, Christian male upon anyone who is NOT a White, Christian male.

[SIZE=+1]More than 1,600 Whites are murdered by Blacks each year.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Blacks murder Whites at 18 times the rate Whites murder Blacks.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]About 1 million Whites were murdered, robbed, assaulted, or raped by Blacks in 1992.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]In the last 30 years, 170 million violent and nonviolent crimes were committed by Blacks against Whites in the U.S.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Blacks under 18 are more than 12 times more likely to be arrested for murder than Whites the same age.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Some 90% of the victims of race crimes are Whites.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Blacks commit 7.5 times more violent interracial crimes than Whites, although they comprise only one-seventh of the White population.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]On a per-capita basis, blacks commit 50 times more violent crimes than Whites.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Some 27 million nonviolent crimes were committed in the U.S. in 1992 alone. 31% of the robberies involved Black offenders and White victims; only 2% involved White offenders and Black victims.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]1.3 million of the 6.6 million violent crimes committed in the U.S. each year are interracial.[/SIZE]

Paulie I think you'll find you're not in Speaker's Corner now.

Before this thread goes any further I would like to completely disassociate myself from any anti-black comments that have been or may be made here. This thread was NEVER means in an anti-anyone way. I am not in the slightest bit racist. The only people i dislike, are Scobes (scuts in hoodies with tracksuit pants tucked into their socks and black shoes on)

This is absolutely NOT a racial thread, my only point here is, i cannot abide how people allow reverse racism, the world over,without having the bottle to say/do anything about it for fear of upsetting the apple cart.

Thanks

• Advertisement

Before this thread goes any further I would like to completely disassociate myself from any anti-black comments that have been or may be made here. This thread was NEVER means in an anti-anyone way. I am not in the slightest bit racist. The only people i dislike, are Scobes (scuts in hoodies with tracksuit pants tucked into their socks and black shoes on)

This is absolutely NOT a racial thread, my only point here is, i cannot abide how people allow reverse racism, the world over,without having the bottle to say/do anything about it for fear of upsetting the apple cart.

Thanks

Nothing racist about the truth.

But hey as Conor said, their grand daddys were abused by white folks i never met, so its ok then...........:rolleyes:

No, I never made that point at all. I tried to explain the difference between how whites have treated blacks for centuries, and why that might not be the same as anti-white sentiment now, but you seem to have a difficulty grasping that point. I have seen English people being told by drunk Irish people to leave pubs, which is outrageous, would you put 2 and 2 together and conclude that the Irish hate white people? Hatred can be different, it is never acceptable, but it is not always racism.

Conor would you accept that what happened to me was Racist. And that if it had been a train carriage of white people and a black tourist, and I had gone to the media there would have been outrage?
    But would you also accept that had i gotten off that train and made straight for The New York Times as a white man and told them my story it would have been completely ignored.

So I have to suffer racist abuse and accept it, because my "people" abused black people in the past???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭geuro

I'd love to know where you got those stats PaulieD. No doubt from some deeply racist source like stormfront or some similar group. It's an insult to our intelligence to post such statistics.

geuro wrote: »
    I'd love to know where you got those stats PaulieD. No doubt from some deeply racist source like stormfront or some similar group. It's an insult to our intelligence to post such statistics.

I got them from the FBI crime statistics. Freely available online. As I said, nothing racist about the truth.

Paulie, I fail to see what your stats have to do with reverse racism ? :confused:

geuro wrote: »

Don't bother. Seriously.

Paulie, I fail to see what your stats have to do with reverse racism ? :confused:

Hi Liam,

It has everything to do with reverse racism, the media outlets do not report black on white crimes as hate crimes. Yet if whites commit a crime against blacks, it is always referred to as a hate crime. Double standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

This topic isn't a Political topic given the lack of high levels of Black on White violence in this country. Take it to Humanites or AH.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement