Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chivalry; dead & gone or alive & strong?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭c0mpliant

nedtheshed wrote: »
    If that makes me a sexist pig then stick an apple in my mouth and hang me on a spit cos Im never going to change.

Well said man. Couldn't agree more

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

c0mpliant wrote: »
    Has anyone ever worked in a place that are security crazy and don't let you hold the door open for people because they need to swipe through. I had such a moral conundrum everyday when I was in a support services company in Ballycoolin. As I watched them come close to the door, the countdown music would start in my head as I weighed the potential snubbing I would give them in favour of security policy, or risk another rather stern talking to from security who's only job is to jump on "tailgater's"!

Yeah, worked in two places like that, one I'd be arriving in with my hands full of stuff, and the swipe thingy was about five feet from the doors, you'd swipe with your badge in your mouth/various stuff precariously balanced, then scuttle like a demented chicken to make the door on time, whilst the supercilious security people stood buy nodding sagely :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

If that makes me a sexist pig then stick an apple in my mouth and hang me on a spit cos Im never going to change.

Is there any particular type of apple you recommend. My girlfriend has left a bowl( more like a bucket) of fruit for me and Im sure I can find an appropriate apple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

CDfm wrote: »
    Is there any particular type of apple you recommend. My girlfriend has left a bowl( more like a bucket) of fruit for me and Im sure I can find an appropriate apple.

I have always been partial to golden delicious but Im not sure how well they would go with roast Neddy.:confused::pac:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I have always been partial to golden delicious but Im not sure how well they would go with roast Neddy.:confused::pac:

When I read your post it reminded me of a book I read recently about the crusades and how they used steel pears which expanded in a victims mouth.

I now have a vision of a pigs head stretched by a rusty steel pear:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

nouggatti wrote: »
    I've come across people carrying heavy stuff (computer equipment etc) and getting doors closing in their faces etc, and it's just awful.

How attractive where the people carrying the heavy stuff? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Homicidal_jesus

LOVE IT!
    2 foot grey area brilliant!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭c0mpliant

Poor Elton John..."Someone like Elton John would need to be travelling at the speed of light just to get in the 4.5 feet distance and even then he may find the door locked"
    lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭maherro

now to figure where I am on the scale.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Shy_Dave! wrote: »
    I've always held the door open for people, gave them a seat on the bus, been mannerly courteous polite etc, and it would really annoy me if someone was actually offended by that, it really doesn't make sense to me :P

I grew up on a farm and was expected to pull my weight as much as any guy and any feminine helplessness was ridiculed. I wasn't allowed to drive a car until I could change a tyre unaided and had a basic knowledge of motor maintenance. However, even though I am capable of opening my own doors, carrying my own stuff, changing my own tyres if somebody, male or female, is polite enough to help me do any of the above and more I always smile and thank them. It's rude not do.

It is extremely rude to barge ahead of a person in a corridor, go through the doors and leave them to swing in that person's face. The men where I work always do it, I work in a university. It doesn't matter if the person is male or female. By contrast I've notice that delivery guys are always very chivalrous even if they are laden down with stuff. I always try to open doors for them, they've got a job to do and at the end of the day they're as important as Professor Swinging Doors and Dr Barge Past.

The title of this thread should be "Manners, dead & gone or alive & strong?"

• Advertisement
Advertisement