Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quick question about income levy and PRSI

• 14-09-2009 2:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭

I work part-time, full time during the summer and this year I'll earn about €13k. How do I claim back the income levy? Contact the tax office or contact HR? Also, the revenue website states that the PRSI threshold for 2008 and 2009 is €352 a week. Was this lowered in a budget or something because my threshold is €330 a week. I don't pay it very often (€63 so far this year) but it doesn't do anything dentist-wise..I'm almost certain I can't claim that back though, is that correct?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59,669 ✭✭✭✭namenotavailablE

Re the refund of the income levy, this document has the following quotation:
    2.23 What if I have overpaid the income levy? How can I claim a refund?
    The income levy is calculated on a pay period by pay period basis. Where the income levy has been applied for particular pay period(s) throughout the year but you are ultimately liable at either a lower rate or are exempt because you have not exceeded the thresholds at the end of the year, you will have overpaid the income levy. In this situation you will be due a refund of some or all of any income levy paid. Where you have been in continuous employment with an employer throughout the year in question (for the full 52 weeks/12 months), your employer may refund any overpayment of income levy deducted at the end of the year. Where you have not been in continuous employment with an employer throughout the year in question, Revenue, rather than the employer, will deal with any refund of income levy due at the end of the year.
    Re refunds of the Health Contribution (I am not aware of the possibility of PRSI refunds)- the threshold remains at 352 per week for PRSI. If you are earning less than that in a week you wouldn't pay any PRSI. You may be thinking of the weekly exemption (normally 127 per week for class a employees but if you are in the public sector since prior to April 1995 it is 26 per week) to bring the value down to 330!?
    For the Health Contribution, the threshold is 500 per week- you don't pay any health contribution if your earnings are less than that per week. If you occasionally pay the Health Contribution (in weeks when you are fully employed) but in annual terms earn less than 26000 then the folowing information (taken from http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Publications/sw14_apr09/Pages/ImportantInformation.aspx) is relevant:
    Possible refund of Health Contribution

Where an employee's weekly pay fluctuates above and below €500, but the annual pay during 2009 is not more than €26,000, the employee may claim a refund of the 2% or 4% Health Contribution deduction.
    Where an employee's weekly pay fluctuates above and below €1,925, from 1 January 2009 to 30 April 2009 and/or above and below €1,443, from 1 May 2009 to 31 December2009, the employee may claim a refund of the 0.5% or 1% Health Contribution deduction if the amount paid in 2009 is in excess of that due.
    The employee may claim a refund of the Health Contribution deduction after year end, 31 December 2009, from:
    Department of Social and Family Affairs
    PRSI Refunds,
    Oisín House,
    Pearse St.,
    Dublin 2.
    Telephone: (01) 673 2586

Advertisement