Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what the hell is this

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭wexford202

Sorry I have no idea but I am curious to know what county you are in as if you are anywhere near me I am moving.

I am terrified of bugs :eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭FAYESY

The picture is not that clear - could be a bug that mimics the behaviour of a scorpion?

Where did you take the photo?

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Steve30x

I have seen a few of those in my back garden in the past few weeks. They are small but mimic a scorpion with their stinger in the air. I dont know what it is but the dogs love to torment them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭wexford202

Steve30x wrote: »
    I have seen a few of those in my back garden in the past few weeks. They are small but mimic a scorpion with their stinger in the air. I dont know what it is but the dogs love to torment them.

Are you for frickin realy. I would have a heart attack if saw one of those in the garden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Just The One

FAYESY wrote: »
    The picture is not that clear - could be a bug that mimics the behaviour of a scorpion?

Where did you take the photo?

there are a few pix on that link - can you see the other pictures?

I took the picture on the footpath outside my house after I evicted it on Friday night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭serendip

Wierd ... I was reading this this morning

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=371914&v=1

which looks like the same thing, a deed ked

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deer_ked

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,680 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I dont think its a Deer Ked to be honest and its definately not a scorpion--Scorpions are arachnids and therfore have 8 limbs.The thing in that pic only has 6 making it an insect.

It looks like some wierd kind of beetle or possibly something related to an earwig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Just The One

Hellrazer wrote: »
    I dont think its a Deer Ked to be honest and its definately not a scorpion--Scorpions are arachnids and therfore have 8 limbs.The thing in that pic only has 6 making it an insect.

It looks like some wierd kind of beetle or possibly something related to an earwig.

I think I have it now.... seems to be a Devil's Coach Horse... harmless and quite common

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

From galwaylibrary.ie

Dubh Dael, or Dara Dael, is a black insect of the Earwig class; the meaning of its name in English is the Black or the other Devil. In creeping along, whenever it hears any noise, it always halts, cocks up its tail and protrudes its sting, which is similar to that of the bee. No insect has been so much abhorred or dreaded by the country people as the Dara Dael, as it is popularly believed that it betrayed to the Jews the way in which Christ went when they were in search of him, and that anyone killing it has seven sins taken off the soul of the slayer. They believe its sting to be very poisonous, if not deadly and that it is possessed of a demoniac spirit, or Satan himself. When found in a house the custom was to destroy it by placing a coal of fire over it, and when burnt, the ashes were carefully swept out. It was never stepped on as a common beetle would be, nor was it killed by a stick as the spirit of the insect would be conveyed to the hands and body through the stick, and was therefore killed with a stone. If turned up by a spade in the field it was killed by the blade, iron not being a conductor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

I think I have it now.... seems to be a Devil's Coach Horse... harmless and quite common
    Yes, a Rove Beetle, they're quite common, quite interesting and also harmless.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rove_beetle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭muincav

Can anyone tell me what the hell this is.... is it some sort of scorpion?

?albumview=grid

http://s864.photobucket.com/albums/ab202/justtheone/?albumview=grid&fullsize=IMG_1374.jpg

I have caught about 6 or 7 of these (Devil's Coach Horse Beetle) in my house in the last month...how can I get rid of them?
    Any help appreciated...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

muincav wrote: »
    I have caught about 6 or 7 of these (Devil's Coach Horse Beetle) in my house in the last month...how can I get rid of them?
    Any help appreciated...

Squish them all with a big stone for a quicker passage to heaven :pac: :P

Advertisement