Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Outlook 2007 back up retrieval

• 14-09-2009 2:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

In anticipation of leaving my current job, I've backed up my Outlook email, creating a large .pst file on my personal external harddrive. To retrieve the email later on, I'm going to need to be on Outlook again I presume, but will I then be able to 'see' my old email (from the old address) on the new company's PCs at a new email address?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 HandsomePete

Yes, providing you add the pst to your new outlook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

...and providing you dont get caught and fired in the meantime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

jimkennedy wrote: »
    In anticipation of leaving my current job, I've backed up my Outlook email, creating a large .pst file on my personal external harddrive. To retrieve the email later on, I'm going to need to be on Outlook again I presume, but will I then be able to 'see' my old email (from the old address) on the new company's PCs at a new email address?

Just your email or your email and the companies address list ;-)

Its very easy you can import the backup pst file from the file menu then choose Import from another file or program then at the next step pick the one ending in .pst then follow the instructions.

Edit> but thats just one way you can also just open it from within outlook without mixing it up with your home email.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 jimkennedy

Thanks for the replies, I'm glad to know it will work.

No, I'm not interested in the work-related email, I just want to hang on to personal email. It doesn't seem to be easy to get just mine though. It seems to be almost all-or-nothing. I'll probably start over and split my current inbox into 'work' and 'personal' and then only put the personal folder into the .pst. Yes, that 's a much better idea, if a little time-consuming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Don't forget you can use search, arrange by and Find All features in Outlook to find the mail you need.

Its sometimes easier to copy all the email to your archive PST file and delete big chunks that you know you don't need rather than try and find the bits you want in a massive mess of email, you can use the above features to find and delete email you don't need.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 jimkennedy

In the end I set the view on my inbox to 'group by name' and dragged the people I wanted off to a seperate folder called 'personal inbox' and then archived only that folder to personal_inbox.pst, and then moved that to my external hard drive. I repeated the process for the Sent folder.

Sorted. Thanks.

Advertisement