Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Improving Wireless Reception

Options
  • 14-09-2009 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭

hi all,
    have just moved to a house with very thick walls and am getting wifi from landlord who lives in house with equally thick walls. i can receive a signal and the internet when i sit on the stairs opposite his place, but while i find this appealing during the current balmy weather, i have a feeling i might not be so happy over the winter! i have an acer 8930G and was wondering if i could attach some kind of a booster antenna to improve my reception in nicer parts of the house. i'm not as thick as the walls in the house, but nonetheless would prefer not to have to open the laptop and wonder if there is a USB or some such connector available, or will i have to have a card installed?
    thanks in advance for any assistance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

What materials are the walls made of? metal/wood/concrete?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭jacool

sorry, circa 1840 standard issue blocks. they are 2 feet thick in both houses and the distance between the house across courtyard is 30-40 feet.

jacool wrote: »
    sorry, circa 1840 standard issue blocks. they are 2 feet thick in both houses and the distance between the house across courtyard is 30-40 feet.

ah well then maybe you should get a n type router-i heard that the signal goes farther on those.

thanks.
    am I to assume that it needs to be at his end to boost the signal, or is it at my end to improve reception?

Yes ask your landlord nicely to get a n router so that you can connect-is internet access one of the terms of your accommodation contract?

• Advertisement

Yes it is !
    and i can't live without it really. i'll have a word.
    thanks for the advice.

Been told to consider this as well. A solution one of my friends went with.
    Might be something here for others with similar issues.

http://www.netgear.com/Solutions/HomeNetworking/PowerlineNetworking.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

WokFi might help Wikipedia and Original WokFi site

appreciated ttm !

Advertisement