Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

looking to buy a good digital camera

• 14-09-2009 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

I am currently on the look out for a good digital camera to take up amature photography which i always had a strong interest in

Any sugestions on what Make or model i should consider (please dont reply by offering me your old cameras:) )

I was thinking Cannon 500D SLR

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Without further details on what you want to shoot the short answer is yes it would be suitable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Hi and welcome to the forum.

My suggestion is to have a read of the sticky on the main forum entitled "So you are looking for a new camera." - It generally answers everyone's questions, but if still bamboozled then feel free to post any further questions. Otherwise someone will recommend you buy canon, someone else will recommend you buy nikon, someone else Sony, someone else Olympus, and someone else (probably me) will recommend Pentax. By the end of it, you mightn't be any the wiser.

Good luck with your search.

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

redhugh wrote: »
    I am currently on the look out for a good digital camera to take up amature photography which i always had a strong interest in

Any sugestions on what Make or model i should consider (please dont reply by offering me your old cameras:) )

I was thinking Cannon 500D SLR
    Hello RedHugh, I bought one of these a couple of months back and I find it very good. It's my first SLR and I haven't found any real limitations yet. I bought it from parkcameras.co.uk with a 17-85mm lens instead of the kit lens.

Regards,
    Noel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

If you're in Dublin take a trip into Gunns. It has a fantastic reputation and they'll be able to give you the advice you need, along with giving you a chance to try out the cameras to see how they feel in your hands. Some people prefer Nikon, some people prefer Canon but you're not going to really find out why unless you go play with them and make your own mind up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

If you are going to buy a Canon replace the kit lens with a 50mm 1.8 or the like. That 18-55 that comes with it gets tiresome pretty fast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,158 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Have a look at my reply .here

Why not get a bridge camera as you'll have macro, great zoom lens all included. No bother of big cash layout for lens or bother of carrying them all around, changing them etc. You can always upgrade a few years down the line to a DSLR if you want....
    relevant links are in above post-
    This is the one I bought- Panny FZ28

I got it for about €220 from Camera box. It costs about €350 or so it town.
    They also have a -
    B grade section

All the pictures here I took with it and I’m no expert, in fact the opposite-

Cameralabs is very good for reviews- they have top rated section, video tours of each camera. dpreview also has good reviews etc. but is a lot more detailed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

Rb wrote: »
    If you're in Dublin take a trip into Gunns. It has a fantastic reputation and they'll be able to give you the advice you need, along with giving you a chance to try out the cameras to see how they feel in your hands. Some people prefer Nikon, some people prefer Canon but you're not going to really find out why unless you go play with them and make your own mind up.

If he's gonna look at the different cameras avail he should go somewhere with more choice. Then he can check out Pentax, Olympus, Sony et al.

Also the Panasonic G1 would be an interesting alternative to a DSLR or a bridge camera.

Advertisement