Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Curiosity over the hills at Murvagh beach

Options
  • 14-09-2009 3:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know anything about this? There are 2 hills at opposite ends of Murvagh Beach that are very similar in size and shape to each other. The hill at the golf course end is called Moyne Hill and is part of the golf course. Anyone familiar with it will know that the front face of it is made up of rocks and gravel. Some years ago, an entrance was discovered at the side of it and after some investigation, it was revealed that this hill was some form of ancient store. Bones of animals were found inside. It was kept quiet as the golf club understandably didnt want a flood of investigators descending on the site.

At the other end of the beach, towards Innisfad, there is a similar hill. It is very like Moyne Hill in shape when from the side view. It doesnt look to be as tall, but the front face is also stone and gravel. Does anyone know has there ever been any investigation done into the possible significance of these two hills? Considering their position at the mouth of Donegal Bay, could they have provided some greater purpose?.......heres a couple of photos

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Cul a cnoic

Does anyone know anything about this?

Had a look on the OS maps & irishmegaliths site and they do not appear.
    Best of luck with your quest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Very interesting keep digging about ill try and let the Tomb people know ,I shall show this post if it is ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

Hi, that would be fine... but the thing is that the hill itself is part of the golf course, well part of it is. One of the tees is situated on the back part of it. The tomb people would have to sit down and iron out assurances with Murvagh Golf club. Ive been looking at some ariel photos of the area, I'll post them here later tonight... must run, bye for now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

I know i was a member there a while back,is that where the Valley of Tears is 5th tee

Advertisement