If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does 47PFL9632d/10 support DTT

Options
  • 14-09-2009 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

HI Guys

Purchased 47PFL9632d/10 in one of your sales some time ago, and have been trying to tune in DTT signal in last week, to see what test pictures are like. However no Joy, the read the following on Philips site,

The tuner in your television is able to receive analogue as well as digital channels (DVB-T)

DVB-T is standing for Digital Video Broadcasting - Terrestrial, meaning you need an antenna to receive these channels.

The reception of digital channels (DVB-T) is country dependent and is based on the country you have selected in your TV.

The following countries are DVB-T enabled:
    * UK
    * Germany
    * France
    * Spain
    * Sweden
    * Finland
    * Belgium
    * Austria
    * Greece
    * Denmark
    * Netherlands
    * Czech Republic
    * Italy
    * Slovenia

Can you please confirm for me whether or not DTT is supported for Ireland with this TV ? Do I need an upgraded firmware or something, Have an aerial capable of receiving DTT signal. Do I need to change country setting or something to trick the TV into receiving the signal?

Can chase it up with Philips, however me thinks this forum is way better
    Thanks in advance
    Logger

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

RTE are testing DTT in some areas, not sure where but someone posted a piece somewhere here saying they were able to pick up the DTT test transmissions on a Philips set. I've no idea how old your TV is but note that the Irish standard for DTT will be MPEG4, this could be a show stopper for you.

The spec. sheet for that set says DVB-T but makes no mention of MPEG4 so I'd be suspicious that it might be ok for the UK but not for here.

http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/4/47pfl9632d_10/47pfl9632d_10_pss_eng.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Ashley

Hi Logger

Simple answer is no,this TV doesnt have the MPEG-4 tuner on board.
    You'd need to use an external decoder box but these aren't on sale in Ireland as yet.

A firmware upgrade wont add this tuner function to your TV either I'm afraid.

Not the news you wanted to hear eh!

atb
    Ash

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭logger

AshMiller wrote: »
    Hi Logger

Simple answer is no,this TV doesnt have the MPEG-4 tuner on board.
    You'd need to use an external decoder box but these aren't on sale in Ireland as yet.

A firmware upgrade wont add this tuner function to your TV either I'm afraid.

Not the news you wanted to hear eh!

atb
    Ash

No considering, that was one of the features I was looking for on a TV when I purchased it and Nicola (I think it was) had told me in the shop that it did support DTT in Ireland when I called in to complete transaction. I had specifically queried this as some one had posted on a thread when you had the TV sale on in January that they thought that TV did not support MPEG-4.

Oh well lesson learned, read the fine print myself in future, looking back now at the brochure even though it does have the DVB-T logo, down further in the tech specs it says DVB Terrestrial*, at the end of the page *DVB-T, supported in selected countries only.

At least I can give up on adjusting the aerial now to see if I can manage to get the reception.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭logger

Just an idea for anyone else in the same boat as myself.

First off needless to say I embarrassed and disappointed to discover this week that the TV I purchased does not support Irish DTT, what is saving me from kicking myself is that I did query the feature at time of purchase. However I know I got the TV at a good price so all in all still happy with purchase from the Philips store, and in fairness I think the mistake was an honest one:confused: as the staff are enthusiast about the equipment they sell and go out of they way to provide an excellent customer service.

Anyhow not one to upgrade TV just for the sake of it, lack of cash, doing my bit for the environment, and it is still a great TV.

Have a solution that is not as expensive as purchasing a new TV but a bit more expensive than a dtt receiver. Just thought I would share it with anyone else who has be kicking themselves for not waiting for Philips latest range of NET ready MPEG-4 boxes, or who has purchased UK version of a Sony TV that doesn't support MPEG-4.

I have Purchased an AZBox Premium for €300, it is a satellite receiver, an additional €50 will get me a DVB-T tuner card which does support MPEG 4, add another €50 - €100 for a hard disk (depending on capacity) for PVR, and you have the following.

DTT reception, Satellite receiver, PVR, Also if you have the latest firmware I believe you get Freesat and RTE 7 day EPG, web browsing, youtube, email.
    Access to hundreds of other add ins. All from the one remote, even has buttons on it for controlling the TV, so keeping down the remote control count.

So I am feeling better now again, a bit of online retail therapy:rolleyes:, and a feature set to compare with the the new 9 series (net tv, epg etc..), I know the refresh rate is not up there, however throw in satellite receiver and PVR, linux platform that can be networked to access DVD collection, photos etc on network.

The Azbox premium in my opinion represents great value, and for me is way cheaper than upgrading TV. Yes I know there are cheaper DVB-T receivers to be got, however not happy with settling for second best when you look feature set John and Ash are tempting us with the latest Philip TV sets.

There is plenty of info on the following page.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055537752
    There is company in Ireland that specialize in them http://www.saortv.com/shop/ I think he will upgrade the firmware and DVB-T tuners once he knows you location for an extra fee.

However to get the keener prices I sourced mine else where.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.