Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today's the day for processing the licensing system.

Options
  • 14-09-2009 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭

Well did anyone find out if the new licensing system works or did it crash??

I hope it works because I'm waiting since April for my .308 to go through.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

clivej wrote: »

Fingers crossed Clive. I've petrol in the car ready to go collect my Sako as soon as it comes through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

there sill not talking applications in enniscorthy barracks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Hairy Hunter

Spoke to my FO this morning, I have to resubmitt my new application submitted 3months ago:(.

FO said that he sent in the first new applications on the new system, and they all bounced back.

He said that all the info has to be typed in manually by him into the system, when he went to do this he could not log on:rolleyes:. There are bugs to be ironed out. Its taking up a huge amount of his time.

I also asked if it would be a new application every 3 yrs or a renewal. He said that it will probably take the 3yrs to get all the info sorted, and they wont want to go through that again in a hurry.

HH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Gortglas

Any white smoke your end Clive. I understand we are applying through the same FO. She will be on agian Wednesday evening, so fingers crossed.

it will take 20-25 minutes to imput a licence application into the new system .

there is 700 firearms licences in our local one man station.over 250,000 in the country.a lot are up on oct 31st.

this new system is not up and running yet as i have stated before and will not be for a few weeks yet.

i cant see the cops getting over time to do it so it might take longer.

in short dont hold your breaths

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Gortglas wrote: »
    Any white smoke your end Clive. I understand we are applying through the same FO. She will be on agian Wednesday evening, so fingers crossed.

The only smoke coming out here is from my head. It's a complete F up of a way to treat lads.

Is there any way of of starting a class action against this incompetence.

I realise that it all has to be input into the system but it should make for a quicker turn-around next time HA HA HA my.....................

The only smoke coming out here is from my head. It's a complete F up of a way to treat lads.

Is there any way of of starting a class action against this incompetence.

I realise that it all has to be input into the system but it should make for a quicker turn-around next time HA HA HA my.....................

bottom line clive is this is a headache for the cops and there not going to rush into it till they have to.

they do not give a rats ass if you ever get your gun ,if you Sargent was any good he would temporarily statute your 223 for the 308.

the new licence is a plastic card type i believe this will take a long time to get printed/made also .

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭diveshark

I work for a company that could do all the processing of the forms and then issue licences based on sign off from the guards. I have been trying for months to speak to someone in the Phoenix Park who knows what they are talking about and also to see if they would consider outsourcing the data entry section. I have gotten 3 distinctly different answers from the same office in relation to the new licensing and how they are going to achieve it.

if any one does know the name of the person looking after it from the top let me know and I'll offer our services direct!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭diveshark

we are the only plastic card manufacturer in ireland and I can't even get out of them whether or not they will be using a plastic card for the licencing, where did u here that exactly? they are so bad to deal with!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

the guards took my application for a new shotgun last thursday. i filled up all the credentials and got pics taken etc etc. its a bit of a pain in the ass but it has to be done. now all i can do is play the waiting game for the license to come though.

I also currently hold a shotgun an rifle license so im hoping that i might get my gun before november 1st but if not i have my other one to keep me tipping over.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭PJ Hunter

diveshark wrote: »
    we are the only plastic card manufacturer in ireland and I can't even get out of them whether or not they will be using a plastic card for the licencing, where did u here that exactly? they are so bad to deal with!

i heard it wont be a plastic card, plastic cracks supposedly. no magnetic strip and no picture, must be why theirs no more at the station amendments,

and get a receipt for the application, there not renewals. if they get left collecting dust, some might end up even been lost:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

PJ Hunter wrote: »
    i heard it wont be a plastic card, plastic cracks supposedly. no magnetic strip and no picture, must be why theirs no more at the station amendments,

and get a receipt for the application, there not renewals. if they get left collecting dust, some might end up even been lost:(
    Ok - I'll bite:rolleyes: What's it going to be, if not a plastic card?
    (by the way - there are different sorts of plastics used in cards, depending on whether they carry magnetic stripe or embedded microchip. Some materials can be very flexible, if they are just carrying a printed film).

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

fat-tony wrote: »
    Ok - I'll bite:rolleyes: What's it going to be, if not a plastic card?
    Don't bite, because the only right answer is a little booklet like the passport, one per shooter, containing all their licenced firearm's details :)

Sparks wrote: »
    Don't bite, because the only right answer is a little booklet like the passport, one per shooter, containing all their licenced firearm's details :)

With a fully integrated European Firearms Pass, automatically accompanying the licence.

that would be the most sensible way ,some thing like the euro pass .

Im in an awful bit of a pickle with my licenses. i recently moved to new house i bought but firearms are registered to my old address (my mothers). so when i applied for the new shotgun i bough i used my mothers address also to avoid confusion, so when the new license comes out i will transfer all 3 guns to my new address, as my other 2 guns are not due for renewel until january. im worried now though that they are going to arrive in my mothers to find the guns are in my new house and i will get in trouble.

Ah yes Sparks - the utopia:D
    I'm a little uncomfortable, though, with a little over six weeks to go before the first batch of new licences are due to be in "live" mode, that we haven't even seen an artist's impression of what they will look like.
    In another life I was involved with card production and I know that producing almost a quarter of a million cards(properly) is no back-room exercise!

fat-tony wrote: »
    Ah yes Sparks - the utopia:D
    Hey, you're the one asking people what they want rather then what they're going to get :D
    I'm a little uncomfortable, though, with a little over six weeks to go before the first batch of new licences are due to be in "live" mode, that we haven't even seen an artist's impression of what they will look like.
    I think you're in good company there...
    In another life I was involved with card production and I know that producing almost a quarter of a million cards(properly) is no back-room exercise!
    Aye. At this point, I'm starting to think a further round of extensions is going to be required unless the Gardai don't mind 20-30,000 people being non-compliant with the Firearms Acts because the Gardai can't process the paperwork fast enough...

At this point, I'm starting to think a further round of extensions is going to be required unless the Gardai don't mind 20-30,000 people being non-compliant with the Firearms Acts because the Gardai can't process the paperwork fast enough...

i think i might have mentioned that a month ago

Yes. You also said they wouldn't be processing anything until a few weeks from now, but we've already seen them start (if unsuccessfully).
    Seriously jw, you want to keep score? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

At this point, I'm starting to think a further round of extensions is going to be required unless the Gardai don't mind 20-30,000 people being non-compliant with the Firearms Acts because the Gardai can't process the paperwork fast enough...

Or maybe a repeat of 35 years ago. Ah lads we dont have the paperwork ready yet, so just pop your guns into the local station till this is all sorted out:mad:

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

With a fully integrated European Firearms Pass, automatically accompanying the licence.
    jwshooter wrote: »
    that would be the most sensible way ,some thing like the euro pass .

Or just use the bloody Europass as the cert. No point reinventing the wheel and duplicating effort.

IRLConor wrote: »
    Or just use the bloody Europass as the cert. No point reinventing the wheel and duplicating effort.

Now there's an idea I like.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭derek_g34

There is definitely some movement. My applications went in a couple of weeks ago. One of my character referees got a call today:D

I wonder what he really told them:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭kakashka

derek_g34 wrote: »
    There is definitely some movement. My applications went in a couple of weeks ago. One of my character referees got a call today:D

I wonder what he really told them:eek:

Hey derek,just wondering if it was a first time app you submitted?or have you had the gun licenced before?

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭kakashka

stevoman wrote: »
    Im in an awful bit of a pickle with my licenses. i recently moved to new house i bought but firearms are registered to my old address (my mothers). so when i applied for the new shotgun i bough i used my mothers address also to avoid confusion, so when the new license comes out i will transfer all 3 guns to my new address, as my other 2 guns are not due for renewel until january. im worried now though that they are going to arrive in my mothers to find the guns are in my new house and i will get in trouble.
    Why not keep them at your mum's until you change address
    I doubt they will just arrive to check guns anyway but i'm presuming you also said that you lived at your mum's which might cause more problems as a simple check may reveal that you dont..maby some of the bright Sparks here can give a better answer or advice..

well the method to my madness was t wait until this license for my new gun comes through. then notify gardai to me moving to a new address and then when they come to check my guns are safely tucked away in my safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭derek_g34

kakashka wrote: »
    Hey derek,just wondering if it was a first time app you submitted?or have you had the gun licenced before?

I had them before. BTW, since my last post, my other character referee got a call aswell.

Hey, you're the one asking people what they want rather then what they're going to get :D
    Weeelll - actually, I was trying to suss out what PJ Hunter was on about when he said that he heard that it was not going to be a plastic card:confused:

• Advertisement

Yes. You also said they wouldn't be processing anything until a few weeks from now, but we've already seen them start (if unsuccessfully).
    Seriously jw, you want to keep score? :D

at the earliest,

i was chatting to a lad today it might be a bit worse that we think

Advertisement