Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nVidia geforce 9400gt or ATi radeon HD 2400 pro

Options
  • 14-09-2009 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭

as the title says.. have both of them here the 2400 is the one in the computer at the mo is it worth changing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,405 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

if you have both in hand, why cant you give each a shake down?

In terms of worth though, when did you buy your last card? how much was it? does it still work/have life left in it? How much will the replacement cost?

I dont recommend buying new hardware until youre ready to throw the old hardware out of a 3rd floor window.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Dannyboi3k

I bought the geforce for my pc which it wouldnt fit, and bought another pc on saturday.. the ATi 2400 was already in it, was working ok not great on FSX tho.. so was just wondering is the other one any more better performance wise

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

FYI, Flight Simulator X is locked at 22 FPS. So dont expect it to get much smoother than that. Give them both a test using fraps and see which one is closest to 22fps :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

FYI, Flight Simulator X is locked at 22 FPS. So dont expect it to get much smoother than that.

eh, no its not. You can set the target frame rate to 'unlimited' in settings. Ive had it at 70+fps in some scenarios with ATI 4890 1GB, Q6700 @3.0Ghz, 4GB RAM

• Registered Users Posts: 82,405 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

FSX is still a benchmarking tool. And frankly even with a HD 4850 I still wasnt able to push it to the envelope. It is a bit CPU heavy as well so that may be why FSX isnt up to your expectation. Is running other 3D programs for you very well?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

bandit197 wrote: »
    eh, no its not. You can set the target frame rate to 'unlimited' in settings. Ive had it at 70+fps in some scenarios with ATI 4890 1GB, Q6700 @3.0Ghz, 4GB RAM

lol.... all these years. mines been locked to 22fps and i didnt see the option. thank you my friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

I think the nVidia 9400 is worth an install to try it out. As Overheal already stated tho FSX is very CPU dependant so you also need a pretty fast processor to get good results.
    Here is a good pdf guide on the settings within FSX and how to adjust them. Start with low settings and gradually push it up untill you find the comprimise between fps and graphics quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I would imagine the 9400GT is a lot faster. Although there's roughly equivalent in terms of designated target, the 9400 is from a newer series.

ok well heres the spec and its running smooth but graphics could be better any suggestions here is the setup
    Inter Pentium D 3.4GHz dual core, 2x2mb cache.
    2GB(2x1) Corsair @ 800MHz
    80GB hard drive
    nVidia GeForce 9400GT

also can only have it on 12-15fps :@!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

What resolution and settings? FSX is CPU intensive...and Pentium D is an ancient processor extremely outdated by todays standards.

was thinkin of gettin a new processor anyway, what would u recommend?

Advertisement