Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeat fee

Options
  • 14-09-2009 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭

Ok so i failed a module a 10 credit module and got a whoping big fee of 440 euro for doing the resit which was a 15min oral. Is this definately the case, emailed services and they said it was but checking http://www.ucd.ie/registry/adminservices/fees/repeat/first_year.htm it stats that the fee is 230 it was 220 last year per module i.e no differentiation between 10 credit or 5 credit modules. 440 euro just seems excessive. I know a guy who failed 40 credits worth does that mean he has to pay 1760 just for resits??? BTW these are resits of exams no repeating subject just the exam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

This is old, its referring to 2008, so the prices aren't accurate. The structure here states X amount per 5 credit module.
    I can only assume a 10 credit module means double the price.

http://www.ucd.ie/registry/adminservices/fees/repeat/first_yeararchive.htm

Mate not to be a prick cos i failed some serious amounts during first 2 years i done... but you pay it, and you get on with it.

Don't fail next time! :pac:

and the guy who failed 40 credits... he paid more!

You cant fail 40 credits in one go.
    Bar deferring an exam or whatever, to mass up 40 credits a student would usually have to of failed repeat exams.

Meaning they already paid 200 or 220 or whatever for repeats, failed them andhave to pay it again...

Person paid closer to about 2000 id say...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

I failed a 10 credit module as well last year and on I'm only being charged 230 yoyos...

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭Malmedicine

muboop1 wrote: »

You cant fail 40 credits in one go.
    Bar deferring an exam or whatever, to mass up 40 credits a student would usually have to of failed repeat exams.

Final med surgery is worth 20 credits and runs between 2 semesters the final exam for which is in april, failing obs and paeds in may and then june both worth 10 credits each. So bare with me while I add this up Muboop1 20 + 10 + 10 = 40 ????????? Yeah jesus must be talking through my arse on that one!!!

I've failed exams before back when it was 120 euro for repeats no matter how many repeats you had to do, 1 or 5. Grin and bare it??? In my opinion its a bull**** money spinner for UCD in this modularised program, if I failed this in the year ahead, I would have been charged a repeat fee for the subject €220 but instead the powers that be lamp it a 10 credit module and ramp up the fee if failed. I know I failed I know I have to pay for it but 440 euro is OTT in my opinion. And if yer man has to pay 1760 thats completely outrageous. Also Im pretty sure I passed overall or came very close to it originally with the exception of the clinical which I failed. You can't pass have failed this part of the course. I grinned I took it on the chin I repeat I passed and now I'm being charged through the arse for it.

In addition to this I looked back and saw an email where ucd resits planned to charge me 230, only for ucd admin on SIS to ramp it up to 440.

WeeBushy wrote: »
    I failed a 10 credit module as well last year and on I'm only being charged 230 yoyos...

Would you mind me asking what course Bushy??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

Final med surgery is worth 20 credits and runs between 2 semesters the final exam for which is in april, failing obs and paeds in may and then june both worth 10 credits each. So bare with me while I add this up Muboop1 20 + 10 + 10 = 40 ????????? Yeah jesus must be talking through my arse on that one!!!
    Ah so my knowledge isnt flawless, in general my principal stands, very few modules officially run over 2 semesters. i dont know about medacine.
    I've failed exams before back when it was 120 euro for repeats no matter how many repeats you had to do, 1 or 5. Grin and bare it???

unfortunately that might be your only choice, i just googled it and found this

http://www.ucd.ie/registry/comms_archive/Assessment/030209_repeats_resits_students_email.pdf

and i quote "Resit/repeat fees are 220 Euro per 5 credit module in 2008/09. Some substitute modules are charged
    at the full module fee"

There may be exceptions to this, or clerical error or execpional circumstances or whatever.

It clearly states that the 220 is for a 5 credit module.
    UCD can be that logic charge double that for a 10 credit module, although they may not.
    In my opinion its a bull**** money spinner for UCD in this modularised program, if I failed this in the year ahead, I would have been charged a repeat fee for the subject €220 but instead the powers that be lamp it a 10 credit module and ramp up the fee if failed

Yup, and if my brother was 2 years older he would of gotten free fee's, but as it is he didn't.
    It not fair ill agree (iv gotten destroyed with repeat fees in past)
    But end of the day there is little you can do with it.

Look at from their point of view, they have to pay supervisor, rent room(if not in ucd) pay admin to work it out, pay lecturer to create and grade a paper...

If only one person in your class failed a subject i imagine ucd makes a loss on repeats... now i say this isnt likely, but thats what they will say in defense.

And they will also argue the the fee's have been put online well in advance. Legally there is nothing you can do.
    I know I failed I know I have to pay for it but 440 euro is OTT in my opinion. And if yer man has to pay 1760 thats completely outrageous. Also Im pretty sure I passed overall or came very close to it originally with the exception of the clinical which I failed. You can't pass have failed this part of the course. I grinned I took it on the chin I repeat I passed and now I'm being charged through the arse for it.

sorry but i dont quite understand this part. maybe im reading it wrong? apologies if i am.

You think you should of passed this part? Or just accepted that you failed and agreed with the results?

If you thought you passed, im afraid you should of viewed script or contacted lecturer or college or whatever.

As for your man having to pay so much, its actually not outrageous, except for us free fee's people im sure!

He failed the year, (required 50 to pass min, unless med is different???)
    cost of medicine(i think you said was his course) is 8,861.50 per year plus registration plus a screening of 225(might only be first years not sure)

now,
    if he failed 40/60 credits, surely he should pay 2/3 of this total cost?
    assuming registration is E1657(approx cant think of exact)
    and neclectig the screening,
    2/3 of that price per year is E7012.33.

if your mate only pays 1700 or whatever, he is getting off light.

In fact he might have to.
    Depending on nature of course, you have to pay the full price for certain modules, and certain modules dont have repeat exams... so have no choice but to repeat entire modules...

Anyway best of luck

In addition to this I looked back and saw an email where ucd resits planned to charge me 230, only for ucd admin on SIS to ramp it up to 440.

email student help desk or relevant body and attach a copy of the original email?

• Advertisement

Would you mind me asking what course Bushy??

Sure no prob, it was for Agricultural Science (Animal Science). We had a 5 month placement with a report and interview/oral examination at the end, and my report was shamefully crap :o so have to repeat it at christmas (not the placement thankfully). It was worth ten credits and shows up when paying fees as only a 230 euro fee for repeats so it's odd that you're being charged so much.

Have you gone into the programmes office or student desk in the tierney building maybe, to talk to someone about it? Maybe medicine is treated differently... I dunno, but it does sound a bit unfair to me.

Muboop1 the copy of the email you posted is the same one I recieved with one or two differences namely being any reference to a charge per credit.

As the only set of students still in UCD that started off non modularised I am pissed about it. But water under the bridge about that one and the ****storm it created for us.

Ok may explain this a clinical exam is when you go into the hospital and they give you a patient, you take a history and do your physical examinations and report back your findings. It lasts for about an 30mins and then you are examined for 15 mins while you present your findings deliver a differential diagnosis and answer some questions based on what you discovered. It is written into the Medical Council guidelines that you must pass this. Therefore no compensation and I and I think most people would be ok with that.

In UCD some schools offer a resit examination as opposed having to repeat the subject, a resit is just the exam and usually occurs either (a) the next time the subject is being examined, so they dont have to pay for, a hall, examiners, extra correcters etc or (b) at the end of a semester. If you pass your resit exam your grade reverts to a D- from an F and you don't fail the year. He didn't fail the year.

Cheers Bushy i might try and get in Friday morning to them but at the moment in Castlebar on placement

Cheers Bushy i might try and get in Friday morning to them but at the moment in Castlebar on placement

Sure thing. Maybe ring if you can't get into college...
    Let us know how you get on, I'm interested now :)

Advertisement