Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite wild animals

Options
  • 14-09-2009 4:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭

I love so many weird & wonderful creatures - I thought I would share a few of my favourite pictures.

When we are in America I also have to see the elephant seals that are on the beaches in California - I love these guys & wish I could build a house next to their beach.

DSC_8139.jpg
    DSC_8036.jpg

Also when in California we visit the Monterey Bay Aquarium & I adore the jellyfish - the jellyfish are all found out in the bay.

DSC_7966.jpg
    DSC_7964.jpg
    DSC_7959.jpg

& finally a picture of a bee - not really exotic but I love the photo!

DSC_8032.jpg

I would love to hear what animals you love - can be native or foreign & have you seen these animals in their native habitats?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

I have to say i love foxes,,but have only once seen one in the flesh
    also i'm fascinated by bats i love in the evening to stand out in the back garden to see them flying about i would love to see them up close.
    One of my biggest highlights was to see 3 orcas swimming up the channel here in cork a few years back i'd always wanted to see them and here they were right outside my door it was briliant,:eek: Unfortunatley they had come in to the quiet because the female was dying and her mate and young stayed with her untill she passed they left the next day:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

Cheetahs, I don't know why but I have always wanted a tame pet one but I'll be happy to see a wild one.

Wolves, again I don't know what it is about them.

Hedgehogs I love. I know you can get pet ones but they're expensive.

Foxes, they are beautiful.

Bobcats look so lovely, look at it's paws!
    acat3.jpg
    Alright, I like any four legged animal with sharp teeth.

I love eagles and hawks too.

I think it would be easier to name the ones I don't like which would be hippos(kill alot of people) and badgers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭FAYESY

The bobcat sure has stunning feet :D

I also love Hippos - if silly people get too close to wild animals we should expect the odd death or 10....

That being said I still intend to photograph bears! Did not find any on our last trip - not even in Yellowstone - where was Yoji & BooBoo?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

If were talking native Irish for me it has to be badgers.They appeal to me on so many levels and it sickens me to see a lot of them lately on the side of the roads.

As for any animal--It has to be reptiles.Any make or model.

Id personally love a Bosc Monitor but I just dont have the space.Snake wise Id love some Aussie Pythons just because theyre different.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

joyce2009 wrote: »
    I have to say i love foxes,,but have only once seen one in the flesh
    also i'm fascinated by bats i love in the evening to stand out in the back garden to see them flying about i would love to see them up close.
    One of my biggest highlights was to see 3 orcas swimming up the channel here in cork a few years back i'd always wanted to see them and here they were right outside my door it was briliant,:eek: Unfortunatley they had come in to the quiet because the female was dying and her mate and young stayed with her untill she passed they left the next day:(

We've got bats flying around the front garden just one step out the front door and they fly around over head very close, can hear them clicking.
    We've only spotted two so far they live in the tree across the road. Not sure what type they are but lovely to see them so close up eventhough I prob wouldn't dare handle one their wings give me the heebie jeebies but still great little critters.

My fave. wild animal has to be the Okapi, fave Irish wild animal prob. hedgehog although gotta love the fox and badger, deer etc. goldfinch as well. List in endless really.

• Advertisement

Oh I'd love to own some fruit bats - they are adorable!

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Micamaca

Love loads of wild animals and tame ones. But especially love meerkats...got hooked on that BBC program Meerkat Manor and was devastated when Shakespeare died while saving the young from the other tribe of Meerkats. Brave little guy :(

We lived abroad in a small town in Germany and in the vicinity of backgarden and road, we had foxes and their young...soooo cute, running yipping up the road, bats everywhere, hedgehog (Igel in German! ) and two red squirrels in the garden. Loved it!! Most wildlife this Dublin lass ever came across.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

FAYESY wrote: »
    The bobcat sure has stunning feet :D

I also love Hippos - if silly people get too close to wild animals we should expect the odd death or 10....

That being said I still intend to photograph bears! Did not find any on our last trip - not even in Yellowstone - where was Yoji & BooBoo?

It's not just silly people that get too close, they are overly agressive and won't stop until your dead, more people are killed by hippos than any other animal in Africa:(. I used to like them until I found out how dangerous they were.

Orla K wrote: »
    It's not just silly people that get too close, they are overly agressive and won't stop until your dead, more people are killed by hippos than any other animal in Africa:(. I used to like them until I found out how dangerous they were.

To be fair - they live where they have always lived - man gets too close so the animals do get scared & will protect themselves & their family - reminds me also of crocs in Florida - they get killed because the encroach on human settlements - the humans encroached on their land first. As humans we feel we demand the right to do what we want to - but animals were here first! We just evolved further so feel we are superior!

Not right in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭spiderdog

i`ve always loved otters, would love to see a wild one!!!!
    i LOVE frogs, very rarely see them though!!
    also any bird of prey makes me stop and go wow:)
    tigers are amazing too!!!

list is so long, see lots round here...buzzards, foxes, rabbits/hares, bats and of course this time of year LOTS of phesents (sp) they make me laugh the way they try to out-run the car on quiet roads:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭PetrovthePrat

Hmmm. I adore foxes and think badgers are lovely. I used to cross paths with a hedgehog on the way to my old home,called him Prickface. Took me a while to realise that wasn't as cute sounding as I thought. But of all the fauna out there I have a distinct affinity with penguins. The closest I've got to them was in Fota Park when one of them took a shine to me! Oh,nice pictures Fasey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭rororoyourboat

Prickface? Heehee!

Owls, definitely! I've yet to see one in the wild though. Someday!!

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Eemia

Love wolves and dolphins. Some snakes are nice and other reptiles are pretty cool also.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Micamaca wrote: »
    Love loads of wild animals and tame ones. But especially love meerkats...got hooked on that BBC program Meerkat Manor and was devastated when Shakespeare died while saving the young from the other tribe of Meerkats. Brave little guy :(

We lived abroad in a small town in Germany and in the vicinity of backgarden and road, we had foxes and their young...soooo cute, running yipping up the road, bats everywhere, hedgehog (Igel in German! ) and two red squirrels in the garden. Loved it!! Most wildlife this Dublin lass ever came across.

I got hooked on that too :o

I loved Flower (Alpha Female) she died while defending her babies from a snake :(

Anyway, my most favourite animal of all time is the Tiger. A majestic, beautiful animal. Also, very feared and very powerful. The true King of cats.

I also like leopards, lions, almost any cat. Wolves too.

If picking Ireland..that's tough, maybe swans.

Advertisement