Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tis Lisbon again begorrah.

Options
  • 14-09-2009 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Lisbon, i don't know, i think i might vote yes. I mean neutrality won't be effected, or tax rates or wage rates, or moral stuff like the right to life. Also Pat Kenny seems to be going with the Yes and hes usually good with politics. Taxi drivers are voting yes. I suppose we're in the Union now we can't arse out and still expect moneys. It seems to be about changing the structures of councils etc. I think it might be okay this Lisbon. The Yes camp are a bit vague(Yes for jobs), i don't we're going to get jobs straight away because we've stopped being the bold child in the corner. The Coir crowd well, i don't know about Coir either. I just think we're kinda screwed at the moment and we need to keep our friends. Self sufficiency never really worked here. I suppose when we were under British rule and in the few years after we were like someone dependent on a friend who actually not very nice but we were afraid to go it alone. With Europe we got more friends and didn't really need to depend on that friend who once took advantage of us.
    I think it a ya.
    What say ye?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

I really don't like the way the European president will be voted in by the European parliament but overall it doesn't swing me to a no vote. So I'll be voting yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭oncevotedff

...Also Pat Kenny seems to be going with the Yes and hes usually good with politics.....

Well that swings it for me.:rolleyes: What does the Man from Del Monte say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Hollyg'lightly

The man from Del Monte says yes he will, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Hmm, Vote yes as the incompetent eg FF are saying or vote no like the nutcases are saying, eg, the Corr guy.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Go won be a sheep and Vote Yes..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

galwayrush wrote: »
    Hmm, Vote yes as the incompetent eg FF are saying or vote no like the nutcases are saying, eg, the Corr guy.:rolleyes:
    Or people could, ye know, consult the relevant documentation and make up their own minds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

I vote Yes to putting EU politics threads in the EU politics forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

I really don't like the way the European president will be voted in by the European parliament

Well it's not a 'European President'. It's 'President of the European Council', a position which already exists but rotates around member states every 6 months where the head of that country assumes the role.

The plan in Lisbon is to have the EU elect a person who will take on the job full time for a 5 year term. It removes another layer of beurocracy from the EU so that no head of state has to both run their country and the European Council.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    Go won be a sheep and Vote Yes..

says the guy who's argument against lisbon is a youtube video made by eiregobrach

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Dinner wrote: »
    Well it's not a 'European President'. It's 'President of the European Parliment', a position which already exists but rotates around member states every 6 months where the head of that country assumes the role.

The plan in Lisbon is to have the EU elect a person who will take on the job full time for a 5 year term. It removes another layer of beurocracy from the EU so that no head of state has to both run their country and the European Council.

Pedantically...it's the Presidency of the European Council, and the role is essentially that of a chairperson. While the term is currently supposed to be 6 months, in fact the Presidency is really run by groups of three countries at a time for 1.5 years, because the six-month rotation is impractically short. Lisbon brings in a 2.5 year term for a chairperson holding no other political position, extensible to 5 years.

The main bonus (apart from not having Sarkozy represent us) is continuity, but there's also an advantage in that currently countries like to grandstand during their term, proposing what are often grandiose and ridiculous schemes, or using the term to push their pet projects. The duties of the post are well constrained, and the opportunities for personal aggrandisement are likely to be fairly slim, given that whoever holds the post will have to work with the egos and interests of the 27 nations who are his (or her) paymasters.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

Scofflaw wrote: »
    Pedantically...it's the Presidency of the European Council, and the role is essentially that of a chairperson.

Yeah sorry, I did mean Council. Still had Parliment on the brain from reading the quoted post. Managed to get it right later in the post at least!

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭oncevotedff

djpbarry wrote: »
    Or people could, ye know, consult the relevant documentation and make up their own minds?

Like we did last year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Sorry, you lost me at Pat Kenny....his bias is shameful. At least he should TRY to be unbiased, but he doesn't....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

djpbarry wrote: »
    Like we did last year?
    Well, no, not really. If people had consulted the relevant documentation and made up their own minds, then “Because I do not know enough about the Treaty and would not want to vote for something I am not familiar with” would not have been the most common reason for voting ‘No’.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Hollyg'lightly

Ah it must be hard though trying to stay unbiased, if he hadn't a clue he would be unbiased.

Advertisement