Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog chasing cars what will i do

Options
  • 14-09-2009 5:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

hi all my friend rescue a 10mth old collie x from the dog pound in monaghan,he is a fab looking dog .only one problem with him is when he is out walking on his lead and cars are going by him he seems to jump@ them.he jumped so high on the lead the other day he fall back on his back i thought the poor dog had broke his back,but he was ok thank god.can anyone help with this problem please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

Collies are prone to chasing - its in their genes. You friend needs to burn more of the dogs energy off and try to distract it when cars are going by and then reward the dog when it ignores them. Perhaps if the dog was given a "job" to do on the walk it would ignore the cars. Could the dog be trained to carry a small water bottle or stick.

If it continues and is serious I would get a trainer in to give a few tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

1) harness
    2) short lead
    3) dog walks on inside
    4) give it time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

peasant wrote: »
    1) harness

This - particularly an anti pulling harness, either head or body.
    2) short lead

This - keep the dog away from the road!
    3) dog walks on inside
    4) give it time

This... and this! The dog may need time to become accustomed to traffic and some lead training would be a good idea if the dog is nervy. Some really tasty treats to keep the dog distracted and reinforce positivity with walking be a road would be a good approach!

Because he is a rescue dog e may need a good bit of time and exposure to get him used to cars etc. Maybe some gradual introduction and then distraction methods could work for him too (getting him to sit down while a car passes, while giving him treats and praise). He's probably just scared and doesn't know how to react.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

It's a vicious circle: dog sees car, dog chases car, car "runs" away, dog has won and knows that chasing will get rid of other cars in the future :cool:

Peasant gives good advice. Move him onto a Halti (anti-pull collar/lead) and, when he starts to give chase, get your friend to position himself between the dog's line of vision and the car. Plenty of treats and praise to distract the dog and he'll learn that he gets attention in other ways and won't need to chase.

By ten months, a dog should have a reasonable grasp of "no" provided he's been given consistent training over a few months so use this to correct him too.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭LauraLoo

on top of halti's suggestions, bring a stick and when you hear a car coming move it over the top of his nose within his vision )positioned parallel to his body, this should distract him. I use the stick to guide the dog into the direction i want them to go/stay. Also, it makes them look where you want them to look...

• Advertisement
Advertisement