Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating

• 14-09-2009 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Well I got my repeat results today and failed 4 subjects worse than my original results even though I did study and thought I had passed. Anyway the problem now is what to do.
    I can't afford to repeat the year but I called the college today anyway and they couldn't give me the fees I would have to pay and are sending me a form to fill in to find out. Anyway Does anyone know what the story is with repeating externally? The woman on the phone said I can do it with all four subjects as long as the head of my department approves it but I am not sure how this all works with continuous assessment etc.
    Also If I am not allowed to repeat externally and I do manage to get money for fees etc to repeat there is still the trouble of being able to stay in Carlow as I won't get my grant. Would I still be able to get the students assistance fund (SAF) if I am repeating to help me out as it says nothing about repeats not getting it on the website?
    One more question now, if/ when I get into third year will I get my grants for that year as I have the previous two years? I believe I can.
    Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Hi,

I'm a seasoned college goer(since 2000) and can answer your questions. Firstly, I think that you have the option of repeating the subjects either internally or externally. If you do it externally, then you run the risk of losing interest (I believe). If you do it internally, DON'T fall into the trap of not going to lectures. You will be around new students and it'd be better to just go in, put your head down, and get the work done.

Secondly, think about getting a loan if you can't afford it now, or speak to the college in more detail regarding fees. They WANT you to study there, and will be accomodating.

Finally - yes - you'll still be entitled to your free fees when you get into fourth year.

Kevin

Advertisement