Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rubycard - new Irish pre-paid card

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

As for topping up by bank transfer, there are no Barclays bank branches in the Republic of Ireland so how can you stroll into one as Mike suggests? Went to my bank (Bank of Ireland) to see if I could transfer cash to their account. It would have to be done as a foreign exchange transaction, I would have to lodge money in sterling AND I need an IBAN number!

Barclays don't have a retail branch network here, but they do have a business presence.

The sort code and account number above are Irish, and you can transfer Euro into it using internet/telephone banking from your current account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Are any of these problems sorted out? I'm considering getting a Ruby Card, or a better alternative if one is suggested?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 fabvista

I wish to echo previous post from Harriet 2010 i.e. "I wonder if anyone from Rubycard can tell us when the winners of the €2500 photo competition that was run on pix.ie will be announced. There was a lot of hype over the competition, then nothing. The competition closed in September 09, and since then there has been nothing. Quite a few people put a lot of time and effort into this competition.

Dear Moderator, if this query would be more appropriate on the photography forum then I would be most obliged if you could move it over there too.

Looking forward to Ruby Card announcing the prize they advertised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 780 ✭✭✭munster4868

fabvista wrote: »
    I wish to echo previous post from Harriet 2010 i.e. "I wonder if anyone from Rubycard can tell us when the winners of the €2500 photo competition that was run on pix.ie will be announced. There was a lot of hype over the competition, then nothing. The competition closed in September 09, and since then there has been nothing. Quite a few people put a lot of time and effort into this competition.

Looking forward to Ruby Card announcing the prize they advertised.

Silence is Golden..... but in this case just another example of poor customer relations!!:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 freefone

I just got a Rubyplus card in my credit union cost me €10 for a 3 year card Had to ring a call centre to order it with voucher from credit union.
    been thinking of getting card for a while must say was almost put off by some posts on rubycard here. I think this is a good one and my credit union promoting it.
    Charges are €0.75 cent per transaction and putting money on is €1 for up to €500 also says free by bank transfer but have not tried this yet.

http://rubyplus.ie/fees.html
    Saw an admin charge here for cards not used in 30 days its €1, emailed customer service who told me it is being removed and will be gone by end of week.

Anyone else got one of these.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Thanks for your input munster4868
    I agree this should not happen.
    But someone in our customer care team has made an error and I would like to correct it.
    Scaned copies of both documents are acceptable.

Good customer service is very important to us.

Hi Mike,
    I've been looking at pre-paid mastercards and found the ruby site, looks great hopwever I'm extremely worried to see that you've not given the prize for the pix.ier photo comp.

Given I'm a user of pix.ie and know a numbers of users that took part in that comp (incl the winner I believe) I'm afraid you've just lost a potential customer.

While customer service may be important to you its clear your public image is not important to you!

Your coming comes across as extremely dodgy and as such I will be sure to guide people award from your company until you sort out your business.

Cabaal,

The one thing i notice is that the rep in question got very quite in posting the minute things got a little difficult for the Ruby Card!!! I think maybe this is a true reflection of the customer service you should expect from Ruby card!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Gary4279

just ordered a ruby card now. has anyone ever topped up?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I can't find it now (for love nor money) but I seem to recall seeing a tweet that referred to RubyCard having gone down the tubes.

Their twitter is dead, yer man hasn't posted in ages. Though this guy says he's launching a new product http://twitter.com/benkeohane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭taung

Gary4279 wrote: »
    just ordered a ruby card now. has anyone ever topped up?

Yeah, I've topped up recently, no problems.

• Advertisement

anyone know how to top up via bank transfer? when i click 'top up' on the website it just tells me about topping up with no button to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭taung

From an earlier post in this thread....
    Hi eamob85
    Can you email me directly on mike@prepaidcards.ie
    I will resolve the issue for you

It is not nessary to upgrade to load by bank transfer.

Bank Account Details
    Account name: NBS re Tuxedo
    Bank: Barclays Bank Plc
    Bank account number: 43397701
    Sort code: 99-02-12
    Payment Reference: Your Eccount number. (9 digit number under your name on your Rubycard)

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

anyone know how to top up via bank transfer? when i click 'top up' on the website it just tells me about topping up with no button to do so.

Are you logged in?

yeah, can it be done?

yeah, can it be done?

Read back here on the comments posted and make your own mind up!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭padyjoe

I wonder guys would this card be a real alternative to 3V vochuers? Or could you recommend something? Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 anitamya

Can anyone give a name of any shops in dublin that definitley top this card up? i rang their customer care and couldnt understand a word the guy was saying..would greatly appreciate it! thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 seanyboy13

Anyone topped up their Rubycard in the last couple of days?

I tried topping up my Rubycard at my local Centra yesterday, and was told by the cashier - after swiping through the card and then (allegedly) checking with their manager, that they were not handling these anymore due to 'problems' they have had with them.

Using the list of PayPoint outlets linked to the Rubycard site, I looked for other locations locally.

I then travelled to another Centra and a SuperValu, where both cashiers tried swiping the card, and told me that the machines were not set up, and could not take the card.

I then tried ringing the customer service number (cut off once, immediately put on hold the next time, at 5 minutes (being charged premium rate) I gave up) to find out how to set up top up by bank transfer. The Irish version of the site is incorrect, there is no 'top-up' tab on the right hand side when logged in to do so, and the 'top-up settings' tab only displays load allocation settings.

I've emailed the customer care address earlier in the post, haven't heard from them yet (the magic 24 hours are nearly up!).

To be honest, I don't want to get a Payzone card, as I think charging for loading AND 3% on spending with it is a bit steep...

...but I'm not gone on the idea that I blindly send off a bank transfer to an account facility posted months ago - can anyone confirm if they are still on the go?!!

seanyboy13 wrote: »
    Anyone topped up their Rubycard in the last couple of days?

I tried topping up my Rubycard at my local Centra yesterday, and was told by the cashier - after swiping through the card and then (allegedly) checking with their manager, that they were not handling these anymore due to 'problems' they have had with them.

Using the list of PayPoint outlets linked to the Rubycard site, I looked for other locations locally.

I then travelled to another Centra and a SuperValu, where both cashiers tried swiping the card, and told me that the machines were not set up, and could not take the card.

I then tried ringing the customer service number (cut off once, immediately put on hold the next time, at 5 minutes (being charged premium rate) I gave up) to find out how to set up top up by bank transfer. The Irish version of the site is incorrect, there is no 'top-up' tab on the right hand side when logged in to do so, and the 'top-up settings' tab only displays load allocation settings.

I've emailed the customer care address earlier in the post, haven't heard from them yet (the magic 24 hours are nearly up!).

To be honest, I don't want to get a Payzone card, as I think charging for loading AND 3% on spending with it is a bit steep...

...but I'm not gone on the idea that I blindly send off a bank transfer to an account facility posted months ago - can anyone confirm if they are still on the go?!!

Why don't you make a written complaint to the Financial Regulator!!! See if they are up to the task in sorting this out for you. This service isn't really good enough and seems to be going on a bit and any company that handles monies should have a better service than this no matter what company it is. Only a thought! Good Look

Yup, you're absolutely right!

If I have no reply by 5pm I'm gonna grit my teeth and get a Payzone card - in the long run it's gonna cost, but how much have I spent in chasing Rubycard?!

Does anyone have any experiences using PayPal with the Payzone card?

Specifically, I use mine to get stuff thru eBay, etc, and have noticed that the Rubycard differs from most credit cards (even 3V vouchers) in charging in the foreign currency amount (normally you would see a conversion rate into euros), and that what comes out from the card is slightly more than the exchange rates posted on their site - (I have the monthly prepaid version, rather than the pay as you go one, which is supposed to be no fees on top of purchases) - have been a bit annoyed about that also...:mad:

Does the Payzone card work like their 3V vouchers in PayPal?

• Advertisement

OK, update on this:

I tried at lunchtime to top up at another (central) listed retailer, no joy again.

Got a email from customer service, detailing how to find a retailer (the retailer list is not accurate, that is the problem), as well as giving the details for bank transfer as posted here before (wonder if Mike is still with the Irish branch? His absence is this thread since January has been noticed).

In the meantime, have looked at some of the details of the online statement - and decided to make a couple of purchases for testing purposes....

below is my reply to the email, which I am also forwarding on to mike@prepaidcards.ie, and ben@prepaidcards.ie (the MD of Rubycard in Ireland)

"Hi again,

many thanks for the update...

I have looked at the Boards.ie site and noticed others have also had issues with getting funds on their cards, however nobody seems to have posted as of recent changes in the retailer network (I have tried this afternoon to top up at the SuperValu at Belgard Square in Dublin 24 - was given the same excuse, even after informing them of how to swipe the card, etc - I was told that they 'mustn't handle them anymore') - I have asked on that forum but have had no examples of the cards working as of this week.

However, have been looking at my online statement, and have to query this:

I am currently on the €6.00 per month 'Pay Monthly' plan (there was a fee of €6.00 charged to the card on 01/06/10 for this), where there are supposed to be NO transaction fees for usage online.

I purchased 2 items today, and was alarmed to notice the 2.95% (min 75c, max €2) fees were also being charged to these transactions, amongst others...

For reference, today I spent €6.00 in ordering a Payzone card (as I wish to see how it compares to the Rubycard online, and through PayPal), and could see €6.75 in the 'pending' column afterwards.

I then made a purchase through PayPal for $37.71 (which on the exchange rate calculator on Rubycard's site, should be equal to €32.04 - although on PayPal's exchange rates it would be €31.28), and was charged €34.11!!

Could you please confirm whether this is standard practice for 'Pay Monthly' customers?

Kind Regards

Sean."

Notice I haven't said anything about documenting this one on here...yet.

Will update this as it progresses..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Glad I found this thread, was only looking at the Rubycard but think I'll stay well clear now.

Sorry guys, just realised when I got a topic update, that I hadn't updated the status of this!

After a bit more of the 'please call the helpline' form emails from India (which I refused to do), I did get some sense via email:

"When a purchase or a cash withdrawal is made there is a fee charged at the point of transaction. When the transaction is settled by the merchant, we refund that fee for Pay Monthly customers. We have checked your eccount and noticed that fees charged for the transactions made on 18/06/2010 were refunded on your eccount when the transactions were settled. We request you to check your statement online to confirm."

So in effect what happens is this: when you make a purchase with the card, it still takes the 2.95%, and when the payment has been reconciliated (when it shows up in the online statement) - you actually do get the commisioned money back.

I do still believe that they shouldn't be taking it from you in the first place though - even old Cobalt-based banking systems can differentiate the difference in pre- and post-pay customers in transactions.

Transferring money via bank transfer does work - if you are an AIB customer, and perform the transaction before 13.30pm on a working day (AIB's stipulations, don't know why, premium traffic maybe?), it will be there in 48 hours (I have tested this twice to confirm).

Frustratingly, however, I have still yet to receive the Payzone Prepaid MasterCard to do any comparison testing.

It is interesting that I have had no contact from any of the Irish representatives of Ruby Money - I'm guessing the guy who posted on here is not with them anymore, and the director does not seem to deal publicly with any customers in his employees absence.... Does anyone know if the Irish franchise is still operational?

They are on Facebook also. Maybe it was getting a bit to HOT in here for them!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

seanyboy13, do you still have your rubycard and if so is it still working? Need to get some form of a prepaid card and feel the payzone one is too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 jmckelly

I used my Rubycard quite successfully and was happy about 1 month ago. Today I loaded 400 euro onto the card and when I went to the website to login I could not. The option to login had disappeared. I received an email saying that 200 euro was loaded but I received no email to confirm the second amount for 200 euro. As I was rushing out to work I rang the customer care line and I was told that they could not help me but offered to ring me back with a number I could ring. I have no access to a phone in work so this was not an option. I tried to email customercare@rubycard.ie and the email fails to send. Also when I try to ring the number that is given to retrieve your pin.....well, the call fails.
    I'm not sure what is wrong here. I did a balance check by text and I'm told my balance is 3.04?????
    I'm not sure if anyone else has had this problem with their card. I'm getting kind of worried at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Xivilai

You're not the only one who can't figure out how to log-in :mad:

Got mine a few days ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 22 jmckelly

I got an email off them to say that they are introducing a new card. Also the new log in page is www.rubyplus.ie . Hopefully that is the end of the problems because all in all its not a bad card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Lookwhat

I got an email saying the had relaunched, Offered me a new card i accepted they sent me a code.

Website has inproved and I put a pic of my kids on the card which was cool.

Ill let you know what it looks like when i get it.

Lookwhat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Xivilai

Thanks so much for that link!

One thing I don't get is that the website says you can top-up by selecting top-up once logged into your e-account. I don't see any top-up option only top-up settings.

I transferred a tenner using BOI's banking365 online to the account that Mike posted a while back in this thread. Hope it works.

Advertisement