Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self-Study Courses

Options
  • 14-09-2009 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭

Could anyone recommend a self-study course? As in one of those combi book-cd packages (or something similar). I'm looking to study Spanish, starting from no knowledge. I haven't started looking as I am unsure what publishers are out there doing such packages.

Any advice appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I got a Linguaphone course free with the Daily Mail once. and it was Spanish as it happens, one of these, collect them every week things.
    It was actually really helpful. I'm using Pimsleur right now for Russian and I don't like it as much.
    It really depends on what you like. Some people love Rosetta Stone but I couldn't handle not having the translations. That programme is all about teaching you the way you learnt your native tongue, just listening and eventually understanding - drives me nuts!
    Maybe get a few free trials online to see which suits you.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Kila

I must say, I actually thought the Pimsleur Greek course I did some time back was quite good, and got me speaking reasonably quickly (quicker than other self study courses I'd tried). I suppose it really is a case of different strokes for different folks!

@efla Have you looked in your local library? Many have language books and CD courses available for borrowing there. Trying out one or two different ones from your library might help you decide what works for you, before you invest any big money in a particular course. I tried out several at my library before settling on one.

Advertisement