Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat and snails

Options
  • 14-09-2009 6:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭

My cat Tilly has developed an odd habit which im v confised about. whenever he is out(and hes allowed out a good but now as he has gotten much bigger) he comes in with snails in his mouth. Ive heard of cats bringing birds and mice inside as a gift for their owners- but a snail?

These are normally empty snail shells but sometimes ther have slugs in them and its gross.

Any ideas why he would be doing this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

He's either giving you them as a present to show he loves you or he thinks your his kitten and they're for your dinner :D Our cat brought worms in for us a few times!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Not to rain on the parade here but make sure shes not actually eating them. Snails are hosts for a parasite that can cause heartworm (Angiostrongylus). its normally found in dogs as theyre the main culprits for eating snails but cats are susceptible too for the same reason.

Its becoming more prevalent in Ireland too. Sorry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭useful_contacts

anniehoo wrote: »
    Not to rain on the parade here but make sure shes not actually eating them. Snails are hosts for a parasite that can cause heartworm (Angiostrongylus). its normally found in dogs as theyre the main culprits for eating snails but cats are susceptible too for the same reason.

Its becoming more prevalent in Ireland too. Sorry!

tilly is a he. No hes not eating them he just brings them in to us. and we know he doesnt eat them outside as when we are out in the garden he just roots in a bush comes out with one and brings it over to us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭GigaByte

My 1 year old cat is doing the same thing except with butterflies! Every day I come home to find a few dead butterflies in the house.

I'm pretty sure its just a phase she's going through. My other cat used to do the same thing with leaves when she was a year old. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

tilly is a he. No hes not eating them he just brings them in to us. and we know he doesnt eat them outside as when we are out in the garden he just roots in a bush comes out with one and brings it over to us

I would still try and discourage him from picking them up though - the parasite can even be found in the snail's slimy trail. Obviously dogs are the ones most at risk but it really is a huge issue - anywhere the snail has been is a potential source of infection so blades of grass or food dishes for example.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭useful_contacts

spent today bringing stones into the house- he put a pile on the couch. its so funny

Advertisement