Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TT Go 730 - Road Names "As Gaeilge"

Options
  • 14-09-2009 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭

So my new TT Go730 gives my road names in Irish. Nice an all as it is. I would prefer them in English. M50 O Shuas etc....... M1 Beal Feirste etc...

Does anyone know how to change this..?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Sweet!
    As far as I can remember, to change directions to English, you just need to select an English voice. Go to Change Preferences, and open the Voices section, pick and English one - away you go!

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

Hmm..I have an Aussie voice..The directions are in English..but the Road names (i.e Exits of motorways are all in Irish)

Ah, starting to make sense.
    Go to Change Preferences menu.
    Tab through until you see the Change Language icon - select it.
    Use the arrow keys, up and down, until you see the English UK option.
    Try that, and let me know if it works! :D

It was already highlighted for English UK. I made sure it was English UK. But no difference

Ok. I'm going to have to dig out the TomTom and see what I can find. I'm sure it's just a setting somewhere, as i had to do this myself once. Might have been an option in HOME?

I'll be back.........

BTW - if you're stuck, give customer support a call in the morning, 9-6.30pm, lo call 1890 812008.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭pmsurveys

Well believe it or not ......... it changes with map updates ..... I think I have had names in Irish twice and English 3 times. Currently mine are in English though. If you just bought a new unit you should be entitled to a free upgrade.

I just bought the TT about 2 months ago.

Oops, sorry about not getting back sooner, the TomTom is on loan, but
    I'll have it back after lunch, so I'll have a go then.

As pmsurveys said, it can revert back after an update, but I'm sure that's just a setting somewhere. It'll come back to me once I have the unit to play with.

batman200 - it's definitely an error with the config files. I don't think you'll be able to change it by "pessing buttons".

I may be able to find some extra info., if you can PM me your system information.

You'll have to connect your unit to the PC and start up TomTom HOME to do this.

Either:
    Help > Configuration Info
    or
    Help > System Information

Copy and paste the info into a PM, and I'll see what I can find out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭pmsurveys

I've never changed any settings and it just varies between english and irish. I've a sneaking suspicion that its something to do with townlands coming down the line.

• Advertisement

I got the system info from batman2000, and tbh, it looks very similiar to my setup. I've called in a self-professed "expert", and we'll see how clever he is! :D

Apparently this had gone global!
    My "expert" pal has asked for some advice from the TomTom tech support in the US of A.
    Sorry I've no help for you yet, but it is being looked at.

Wow....Thanks..I feel special that my issue has made it all the way to USA....

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The Irish signs was a map issue which has been corrected (with one or 2 exceptions;)) in v835

koolkid wrote: »
    The Irish signs was a map issue which has been corrected (with one or 2 exceptions;)) in v835

I think I remember that now! I did a map update, and that sorted it. You should be able to get a free update, seeing as your unit is only two months old.

Still haven't heard anything back from TomTom yet, even though I asked them yesterday, and again this morning, for an update. :mad:

I'm sure the updated maps will sort it out for you, but I'm still going to hound TomTom for the craic!

I'll let you know as soon as I get a reply from them.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Most are corrected in the latest map. If you find others after updating let me know.

Thanks for looking into it I must check what rev of maps I have

TomTom reply...
    "Our technical department have requested some examples of said streets where this name issue is occurring." :D

Any chance you could tell me some of the streets that are in Irish? Plus their English names as well?

(I think I'm starting to bug them! :) )

mrmac wrote: »
    TomTom reply...
    "Our technical department have requested some examples of said streets where this name issue is occurring." :D

Any chance you could tell me some of the streets that are in Irish? Plus their English names as well?

(I think I'm starting to bug them! :) )

On v835 I have found very few. Any I have found they have already.
    M1 toward the Airport was 1
    In Dublin 11 coming off River Road onto Dunsink Lane shows An Curragh

If you find any others let me know.

Hi koolkid,

(My map rev is Western and Central Europe 2GB v830.2305)

Here is a few

Na Sceiri (Skerries)
    Lusca (Lusk)
    Ros (Rush)
    Domhnach Bat (Donabate)
    M50 North/South (O dheas) (Thuaisceart)
    Beal Feirste (Belfast)
    M50 Exit -> 5 An Lar
    N2 North Road An Lar

To Cork:
    N7/E20 Naas Road Cluain Dolcain
    N7/E20 Naas Road An Nas
    N8 Baile Mhisteale

To Galway:
    M1 Ath Cliath
    M50 O Dheas
    Exit 7 Sligeach
    M6 Exit 1 Tuaim

To Athlone:
    M50 Exit 7 Sligeagh
    N4 Lucan Bypass Sligeach
    Exit 11 Gaillimh
    Exit 2 Ros Comain

To Kerry (Ballyduff):
    M50 O Dheas
    Exit 9 Luimneach
    N7/E20 Naas Road Cluian Dolcain
    N7 Naas Road An Nas
    N7 Luimneach
    N21 Limerick Road Tra Li
    R523 Lios Tuathail

• Advertisement

Thanks Batman.
    All those are corrected in v835 ;)

Advertisement