Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice RE Arts options in 2nd year

• 14-09-2009 7:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

OK so I'm trying to decide whether to do a joint honors in english and history or just a single honors in english?
    I think if I do the single I should be able to get a 1st class honour result but with the joint will probably only average a 2nd class honours. Am hoping to do a HDip or whatever it's called nowadays so am wondering whether a 1st class honour result teaching only 1 subject would be better than a 2nd class honour result but being able to teach 2??????
    Tagged:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

You might get more responses in the teaching & lecturing sub forum
    forum
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=621

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 mryan45

Thanks but realised last night that I had to have my decision made already so now doing a single honours in English...hope I haven't made a huge mistake :confused:

Usually it is possible to switch back to joint honors when entering third year. So I don't it will be huge problem if a single isn't ideal. Though each department has their own rules about this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭captainspeckle

betafrog wrote: »
    <generic orts slag> The best option for a 2nd year orts student is to join the dole queue now :pac: </generic orts slag>

ha ha! your so funny, and incredibly original. :D
    I dont do "orts" I do Arts. I aint no big haired, fringe with its own post code, abercrombie and fitch wearing D4 eijit.*

:cool:

*slight generalisation.

robp wrote: »
    Usually it is possible to switch back to joint honors when entering third year. So I don't it will be huge problem if a single isn't ideal. Though each department has their own rules about this.

am.. do you think it would be a huge deal to change modules when i go back, because, i got an e mail from the english dept. today, with the timetable and outline and whatnot! turns out i have like 3 modules registered for semester 1 instead of two. (i really tried to do it in such a way it worked out, but it seems the timetable was different to the one i first saw, and they didnt match up to the book of modules either.)

i am sorry for being super confusing. my mind is frazzled. i think i need a bottle of wine right now. :o

• Advertisement

Contact the College of Arts, Celtic Studies and Social Sciences. They will help.http://www.ucc.ie/en/CollegesandDepartments/ArtsCelticStudiesandSocialSciences/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

If you're planning on doing a joint honours in English and History i'd imagine the work load will be huge. You might better off sticking to the single honours but then again you won't know until you try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Nova_era

If you're planning on doing a joint honours in English and History i'd imagine the work load will be huge. You might better off sticking to the single honours but then again you won't know until you try.

Hardly, joint honours is pretty much standard.

Nova_era wrote: »
    Hardly, joint honours is pretty much standard.

I hope so...
    I have both my history case study and my english seminar thingy in semester 1.. :(

oh lord.....

But semester two will be loads of fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Steviewonder

Fellow boardsies!

How many modules must we pick from? say in english

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Not a huge workload as such. It's tough I've been told but very managable if you stay on top of your assignments and focus.

Fellow boardsies!

How many modules must we pick from? say in english

well in english, we had to pick 4 modules, two for semester 1 and two in semester 2.

then we had to pick which critical skills seminar we want
    eg. EN2006 (semester 1), EN2007 (semester 2), EN2008(semester 1 & 2)

but i would hurry if you are doing english, because i changed my mind about a module the other day, went back into my student portal to i could swap one for another, but the one i wanted was no longer there, so i am guessing, it was full! :(

in history then, we just picked two, and the case study will be sorted when we go back afaik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Steviewonder

well in english, we had to pick 4 modules, two for semester 1 and two in semester 2.

then we had to pick which critical skills seminar we want
    eg. EN2006 (semester 1), EN2007 (semester 2), EN2008(semester 1 & 2)

but i would hurry if you are doing english, because i changed my mind about a module the other day, went back into my student portal to i could swap one for another, but the one i wanted was no longer there, so i am guessing, it was full! :(

in history then, we just picked two, and the case study will be sorted when we go back afaik

Thanks for your help! I got my repeat results this week so i cant register till 5 days after! Some joke..

Wat did u pick for history?

Thanks for your help! I got my repeat results this week so i cant register till 5 days after! Some joke..

Wat did u pick for history?

I picked war, state and society since 1450 (HI2007) and Geography and imagination in atiquity and the middle ages (HI2017)

I am hoping to do the case study on the topography of Ireland.

that crazy book that gerard of wales wrote, sounds interesting and i do love references to having s*ex with animals..

(not really though!)

what about you? what do you plan to do.. sounds like you are gona get lumped with the leftovers with english, could be worse though!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

I picked war, state and society since 1450 (HI2007) and Geography and imagination in atiquity and the middle ages (HI2017)

I am hoping to do the case study on the topography of Ireland.

that crazy book that gerard of wales wrote, sounds interesting and i do love references to having s*ex with animals..

(not really though!)

:eek: All that put me off those History modules/case studies when I was looking through the History dept. subjects!

Advertisement