Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile Air Conditioner - Air Duct Issue

Options
  • 14-09-2009 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Im in an apartment and its on the ground floor and the sitting room is a sweat box. The only way to get air in is to open the balcony doors (its ground floor remember) and let air in, however the apartment is close to the river so around 7-8pm its infested with midgets and there will be thousands of them all around the spot lights in the sitting room pretty quickly.

Not understanding how they work i went out and bought an Airforce 12,00 btu, it retails around €200 in B&Q. Anyway apparently while obvious, i overlooked the fact that it needs to expel the hot air through a duct vent. As i mentioned theres only a door at the balcony and no windows and i cant leave them open from 7-10.30pm and i dont think if i left the pipe sticking out the door it would work well or would it?

Is there any simple solutions to this? Its one big window with a door spanning almost the width of the apartment, there is a wall but its probably more than a foot thick so i dont that thats an option. Is it possible to have the glass cut and have something fitted that will make this work while not standing out or losing heat through it when its not in use during the colder nights? Also would cutting a circular hole weaken the glass?

I also have an extractor above the cooker, i was hoping maybe there was a pipe there i could stick it up into however when i removed the filters there was like a kind of motor type thing, maybe if i took off the extractor i could find a way but usually landlords arent too happy when you mention anything about drilling etc so i need to find the easiest solution but i have no idea?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

The motor should have a fan that blows into the ductwork if it's there. What you could do is reconfigure your extractor as recirculating, then use its outlet for the a/c unit.

Advertisement