Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I fell off the wagon with a bang.

• 14-09-2009 8:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭

After 6 happy years smoke free (thank you Paul Goldin), I have fell off the non smoking wagon with a resounding thud. Into a puddle.

I always knew how happy I was not smoking and never felt the urge to go back, but recently I had a few high pressure family moments and it started out as a cigar or two when I was drinking with friends, but after two months, I am smoking 10 Hamlet a day.

I dont enjoy them, and I can feel the damage they are doing already (I inhale, I dont think you're supposed to), but yet everytime I have none and I pass a shop, I just give in and hand over 8 euro for a fresh pack, and then promise to end it that night and wake up afresh tomorrow. Its not happening though.

I know the longer I smoke the harder its going to be, and I am currently watching my mum suffer horribly for years of smoking which really pis*ses me off.

I'm not really sure what the point of this thread is, except maybe to say to non smokers to stay vigilant. That one smoke me back. I hate them so much, and yet I dont.

This forum was always great for me when I gave up before and I hope it may help again.

Any advice from anybody out there who has gone through this before?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I guess it really is like an alcoholic, it doesnt matter if youre off them 10 days or 10 years, one smoke and your right back on them?:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭silvo

Never stop trying to stop smoking Archeron! One day it will click again and you will realise that you are a strong person who doesn't need a smoke to make you feel better. I have had some relapses in the past but I think back to how good I felt off the smokes, and how the smell of it made me want to retch. I found the HSE stop smoking website gave some good ideas on how to combat cravings also. Don't give up and let them take over your life again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭lucky-colm

this is my third time of the fags this time it has been 4yrs the two other times 12mths ea. roughly. really tempted to go back smoking at the moment what with the resession and what not. the only thing stopping me is the price of the bloody things and deep down i know that after a few days i would hate them again. the last time i gave them up was really hard and probably would not have succeeded was it not for the smoking ban.
    if i do fall of the wagon i don't think i would have the same will power to give them up again, so all these factors combine to keep me of the fags.

i do feel for you op and can see exactly how you were tempted i two have been tempted over the last few years and have wandered from time to time (i think 3 times with roughly 2 smokes each time) but luckily enough i woke up each morning and just thought how stupid it was.

the only bit of advice i can give you is to try again you beat it before you can beat it again, you are not to long back on them so your body might not be as attached to them as you think.

it will be hard but as you know it will be worth it.

best of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Archeron wrote: »
    Any advice from anybody out there who has gone through this before?

Simplest advice is to stop again as soon as possible. There's a number of factors that will mean it's alot easier to give up now. While you may be phsyically adicted again right now, this passes after three days of not smoking and it's highly unlikely that you have developed a strong psychological addiction already.

I was off cigarettes for over a year before I stupidly started again, smoking when drunk. Of course within a couple of weeks I was back smoking all the time and it was almost another 3 years before I gave up again. One of the biggest factors in stopping the second time was the knowledge that I had done it in the past and knew it was possible - this should be a great help to you also.

I'm now 21 months off them and your post serves as an excellent reminder to be vigilant, there is no way I want to fall back into the habit.

Best of luck, you know you can do it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭Archeron

Thanks for the replies everybody, I'm determined to stop (again) from tomorrow.

• Advertisement
Advertisement