Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Besiktas JK vs. Manchester United [Tues]

• 14-09-2009 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭

j9x08z.pngf2m5a162ebpg8.png10h57pj.png

TV3 I think...

Should be an interesting team selection for Utd. Maybe a bit of squad rotation with the derby in mind and to keep the squad ticking over. Hard to make a prediction without team news. My guess is that Owen will get a rare start.

The turks lost 3 zip at the weekend and have made a poor start to their league season.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

idk do we need to rest players we're only taking on city at the weekend tbf ;)

jokes a side

wouldnt be surprised to see this

foster
    Nev
    brown---Rio---fabio
    valenica---scholes---carrick----nani/park
    owen
    berba

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

United should hammer them, they are a poor side who have made a dire start to the season.

Top scorer from last season was Bobo, heres the youtube!

he's smarter than the average bear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

jaykay74 wrote: »
    TV3 I think...

:mad::mad::mad:

God have Mercy on our souls. :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

:mad::mad::mad:

God have Mercy on our souls. :(

Hey, come on, it's either that or go through about 30 different streams with Iraqi commentary. Now that I think about it...:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,462 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

well, i'll be watching it on Sky Sports. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Hey, come on, it's either that or go through about 30 different streams with Iraqi commentary. Now that I think about it...:P

no, it'd be on RTE if not TV3. With the panel :)

same as myself

do itv have the match ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Headshot wrote: »
    same as myself

do itv have the match ?

Liverpool game i think

Fergies press conference details below (at least i think its from his press conference). A lot of changes to the team i reckon.

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/09/09/14/SOCCER_Man_Utd_Nightlead.html
    Sir Alex Ferguson does not believe Manchester United will be at a disadvantage in this weekend's eagerly-anticipated derby clash with City because of their Champions League commitment in Turkey.
    The length of journey United were required to undertake for their opening game in this season's competition against Besiktas meant they flew out yesterday, preferring to remain in London following Saturday's win at Tottenham.
    Ferguson has decided his players should leave immediately after their European opener though, meaning they will not arrive back in Manchester until after 4am on Wednesday morning.
    Meanwhile, City have been resting up, even if they remain in the dark over Emmanuel Adebayor's likely availability as the FA have yet to decide whether to take action against the Togo striker for his alleged stamp on Robin van Persie.
    Yet Ferguson feels his players have the experience to cope. And, while he might have lost Cristiano Ronaldo and Carlos Tevez from the squad that reached last season's final in Rome, the United boss is convinced he has the strength to survive.
    "The squad I have, it doesn't make any difference to us," he said.
    "We have from Tuesday until Sunday to prepare for the next game. That is ample time.
    "In any case, it won't be the same team. That is why you have a squad."
    Under normal circumstances Paul Scholes would join Ryan Giggs on the sidelines, both men having started at White Hart Lane.
    Scholes' dismissal, which Ferguson remains unhappy about, means he will not be facing City, so he could have the unusual experience of starting two successive games.
    The veteran midfielder's experience could come in handy as United look to silence what is claimed to be the most volatile set of supporters in Europe, who will provide what Ferguson accepts will be an atmosphere unique to Turkey.
    "The fans have incredible fanaticism," he observed.
    "I have been here four times, twice each to Galatasaray and Fenerbahce. From my past experiences the fans come to the stadium at 12 o'clock. It is amazing.
    "It shows you the passion they have for their clubs."
    As Besiktas' recent form is awful, culminating in a three-goal defeat to Galatasaray at the weekend, the test for United should come from the stands.
    Ferguson was sitting next to Ben Foster, one of the men who has not experienced it before, and jokingly warned the England goalkeeper he should get an early night.
    It is a step into the unknown for more than just Foster though.
    United's performance at Tottenham was the first sign they can still play with style following Ronaldo's departure. Now they need all their famous grit, while also finding the goals their now departed Portuguese superstar was able to provide so consistently.
    "You don't like losing players of that calibre. But he has moved on and so must we," stressed Ferguson.
    "It is early of course and it is difficult to quantify Saturday's performance.
    "But we have a young team, with young players, who are improving all the time.
    "On top of the experience we have it gives us a very solid strong and powerful squad."
    Even without Ronaldo, United will start their quest to reach a third final on the trot as one of the favourites.
    The remaining English trio are bound to be respected too given the Premier League has supplied three semi-finalists for three seasons running.
    Yet holders Barcelona set a standard that needs to be matched with their comprehensive destruction of Ferguson's team in Rome, while big-spending Real Madrid, with Ronaldo and Kaka leading the Galacticos II era, offer a large chunk of the unknown.
    "I can't answer that," replied Ferguson when asked how he thought Real would do.
    "The truth is I simply don't know.
    "There is a new team bedding down and the coach has to make some decisions about his team.
    "It is easier to talk about teams who have been there two or three years in terms of the harmony of their team and the balance of their team.
    "Barcelona fall into that category and they must be one of the favourites."

• Advertisement

wonder will Rooney start ?

It sounds like Fergie will put out a strong team tonight.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/manutd/6189431/Michael-Owen-told-to-be-patient-as-Manchester-United-take-no-risks.html
    Ferguson said: "Michael Owen has not been involved and I have explained that to him. The season has not really started and, because of the international fixtures, we are not really playing Saturday/Wednesday at the moment. So Owen doesn't come in to the equation because we are trying to get a blend of Berbatov and Rooney.
    "He will play plenty of games, but just maybe not in the early stage of the season. Will he start tonight? No, I wouldn't think so, but we may change formation a wee bit.
    "You have to respect this competition and we can't afford to not qualify. This is the first game, so we have to pick the right team.
    "We can't take chances and we won't take chances. We have to go to Germany for the last game [against Wolfsburg], so we have to make sure we are in a good position. We won't be taking any chances."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Foster
    Neville----Rio----Vidic
    Evra-
    -Valencia-Carrick-Scholes--Nani-
    Rooney----Berbatov----

Can't see too much change at the back, I only have Neville in there because of the concerns about John's injury. If he is alright I think he could even start.

Valenica, and Nani will come in I'd say. Although I wouldn't be surprised to see Park play instead of Valencia.

Sticking with Rooney and Berbatov for this one. I know Rooney put in a big shift at the weekend but I think he will start this one and get the last half hour off regardless of the score.

First game and its best to get off to a good start so it would be stupid to put out anything other than a strong team and go for the win.

Carling Cup is next week thats when we rest players and give those that need it a week off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Would like to see Owen start And Rio and Brown get some needed game time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Foster
    Brown----Rio----Vidic
    Evra-
    -Valencia-Carrick-Fletcher--Park-
    Owen----Berbatov----

Wouldn't be surpised to see Evans instead of Vidic if he is fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

The Besiktas fans are ****ing awesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Mr Alan wrote: »

Luckily their team is not.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Mr Alan wrote: »

Reason?

Fergie agress with you Mr. Alan

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard-sport/football/article-23744152-details/Ben+Foster+taking+his+chance+to+catch+Sir+Alex+Ferguson%27s+eye/article.do
    But Foster's opposite number in goal tonight, former Barcelona keeper Rustu Recber, believes United may still be unsettled by the atmosphere.

"The level of hostility at the Inonu is unique," Recber said. "United have been to Galatasaray and Fenerbahce, but the Besiktas fans are in a league of their own.

"They are the noisiest, the most passionate, and they stay with the team for 90 minutes. The noise is incredible. It will be a new experience even for those United players who think they have seen everything. Our fans can really make it hell."

United boss Ferguson (left) is not worried about the decibel level, though, and believes his players have the experience to cope with the noise.
    He said: "The atmosphere is unique to Turkey with the fanaticism. At Galatasaray and Fenerbahce, the fans were in the stadium at 12 o'clock.
    "It's going to be a volatile atmosphere, but we hope that the experience we have had in last couple of years helps us with whatever we face."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Hoping for a strong team out tonight. 3 points and all we need to do is look after the games at home. Would like to see:

Foster
    JOS
    Rio
    Vidic
    Evra
    Valencia---Fletcher--Scholes---Nani
    Rooney
    Berbatov

Expect to see given an away tie in europe:

Foster
    Jos
    Rio
    Brown?
    Evra
    Fletcher---Carrick
    Park
    Ando
    Nani
    Rooney

Own can bugger off til the carling cup. He knew well he was brought in as cover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Des wrote: »
    Reason?

watch the match tonight & you shall see.

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Owen can bugger off til the carling cup. He knew well he was brought in as cover.

Disagree.

Owen will get his fair share of CL starts in the early stages.

Fully expect him to start with Berba up front tonight.

What Ferguson said was correct, when the games start coming in 3s and 4s every 10-12 days, Owen will start a fair share.

Boggles wrote: »
    Disagree.

Owen will get his fair share of CL starts in the early stages.

Fully expect him to start with Berba up front tonight.

not according to Fergie but you never know.
    Fergie : He will play plenty of games, but just maybe not in the early stage of the season. Will he start tonight? No, I wouldn't think so, but we may change formation a wee bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

jaykay74 wrote: »
    not according to Fergie but you never know.

I don't think he will start but what Fergie said would be my last reason for thinking so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Great to have the CL back.

I'll predict a cautious performance with Man Utd edging it by a goal.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Really looking forward to this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Jam-Fly

2-0 to Besiktas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Is there a reason why so many people seem to think it'll be Berbatov-Owen up front? (Or is the derby on Sunday the reason?)

I don't think it'll change much from the game against Spurs. I'd guess something along the lines of:

Foster
    Brown--Vidic
    Ferdinand----Evra
    Valencia--Scholes--Carrick--Nani
    Rooney
    Berbatov

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Fancy United to edge it. Might be one or two scares but the team should get through it.

• Advertisement

Tom65 wrote: »
    Is there a reason why so many people seem to think it'll be Berbatov-Owen up front? (Or is the derby on Sunday the reason?)

Rooney has run the satchel off himself, and has actually looked exhausted coming off the pitch the past few weeks.

Personally I would like to see him rested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

and this was when besiktas were flying high :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

rossie1977 wrote: »
    and this was when besiktas were flying high :eek:

You're in opposite land. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Don't forget they beat Liverpool at their place which would be more relevant to tonights game ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

YES YES! Muhahahaha!

Anyway, gonna be a tough game, United will edge it 2 - 1. Falling behind in early stages and grabbing late winner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Fully expect a United win here but it won't be easy. 2-1 I think. Rooney will start but I reckon if we a winning after 60mins Owen will come on.

• Advertisement

team news ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Foster

Neville
    Evans
    Vidic
    Evra

Valencia
    Carrick
    Anderson
    Scholes
    Nani

Rooney

SUBS: Kuszczak, Brown, Fabio, Gibson, Park, Owen, Berbatov.

Foster
    Neville----Evans
    Vidic
    Evra

Carrick

Scholes
    Anderson----
    Valencia
    Nani

Rooney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Foster

Neville
    Evans
    Vidic
    Evra

Valencia
    Carrick
    Scholes
    Anderson
    Nani

Rooney

Feck ya Dave :D

Foster

Neville
    Evans
    Vidic
    Evra

Valencia
    Carrick
    Scholes
    Anderson
    Nani

Rooney

Feck ya Dave :D

Just not good quick enough bud ;) Maybe next time yeah? NO! Probably NOT!

ahem

Sorry, got a bit carried away there...

Still very surprised that Owen isn't starting tbh.

• Advertisement

Dave! wrote: »
    Foster

Neville
    Evans
    Vidic
    Evra

Valencia
    Carrick
    Anderson
    Scholes
    Nani

Rooney

Foster
    Neville----Evans
    Vidic
    Evra

Carrick

Scholes
    Anderson----
    Valencia
    Nani

Rooney

owen should be playing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

happy with that team, isnt the most exciting formation but its effective, e.g last two CL seasons.

I wanna see Berba :(:(:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I wanna see Owen.

There's no point in having him as cover if he doesn't play enough initially to get his sharpness back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I really don't get the calls for Owen to be starting.

It was always going to be 4-5-1, and I don't want anyone but Rooney leading the line. He's on fire, and the first game isn't the time to be resting players. Besides, having the game on Tuesday and not playing City until Sunday means there'll be enough time to rest.

Bit worried about Rio though, any injury news there?

think we'll see ando really go forward tonight
    ando to score first 20/1 and 8/1 to score anytime

Headshot wrote: »
    think we'll see ando really go forward tonight
    ando to score first 20/1 and 8/1 to score anytime

I don't see him scoring first but anytime might be worth having a piece of. Decent enough odds too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Dave! wrote: »
    Just not good quick enough bud ;) Maybe next time yeah? NO! Probably NOT!

ahem

Sorry, got a bit carried away there...

QUIET KID

or I'll come out of retirement and put you back in your place :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

Strong enough line up tonight. Plenty of width and strength in the middle. Back four has plenty of experience including Evans. Nice win tonight and I'll be happy. :D

Bit worried about Rio though, any injury news there?

from bbc...

centre-back Rio Ferdinand is believed to have picked up a minor groin strain and is replaced by Johnny Evans.

• Advertisement
Advertisement