Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any recommendations for Orthotics in Galway?

Options
  • 14-09-2009 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭

Looking to get custom made orthotics made and have been advised to go to Well Shod in Monasterevin but would really rather not waste a holiday day on travelling there. Anyone have any recommendations on any practioners in Galway City or surrounds?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Theres a place near the movie place in Shantalla, have no idea if they're any good tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Tedole

Go to Gary Burke, operates from the old veg shop around rhe corner from Cookes Corner, went to him a few years ago for some, made a big difference. Was supposed to go back for follow-up but was lazy/slipped my mind, certainly not a reflection on him. Reception can be hit and miss - I think it was his Ma who did the phones when I went there, so maybe better off calling in in person, but as I said, was a few years ago when I went there. There is also a place in Liosban I think, Plekker or something like that, but think that is the next step after orthotics, though I am opn to correction on that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Another vote for Gary Burke in Shantalla.

Very good at what he does, reasonable price and he's a gent too.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Walkers in Liosbaun Estate, next to Galway City Physio.

Did a very professional job for me, knows his stuff (as far as I could tell), and was cheaper than I paid back home (overseas) a few years back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 quantumpet

Walker Healthcare in the Liosban Estate helped me too. Couldn't run for about a year because of really bad shin splints and sore knees, and I had tried a few places in the city. They were really professional and knew what they were talking about, even took the time to explain to me. Definate recommendation from me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭flugel

how much would a pair of orthotics set you back roughly? got a pair like 10 years ago, fairly in bits now, thinkin i need to bite the bullet and get a new pair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 quantumpet

The ones I have were around 80 euros plus a once off consultation fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭flugel

quantumpet wrote: »
    The ones I have were around 80 euros plus a once off consultation fee.

well they'd definately be worth it for that price. think i'll ring gary burke and ask him how much he does them for

• Registered Users Posts: 2 fARLO9

Ya I went to Walker Healthcare about 6 months, haven't got shin splints since I got the orthotics. He explained my problem clearly as well, which wasn't fully done with a few other places. I've worn the orthotics everyday to the gym/work etc, and still in perfect condition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 footie fan

took my son who is big into sport to gary burke last year paid €40 to him and €80 euro for the ortotics. had him at family doctor with other problem and he said they were wrong.took him to walkers in liosban industrial estate in galway and he was examined by brian he also said the ortotics were all wrong and were doing more damage than good. he put him on electronic mats to measure pressure and everything and explained the problem thoroughly. i paid him €50 euro for consultation and he has told me the ortotics will be more expensive but if he doesnt get them he will probably get shin splints and other problem he also suffers with back problems which are also coming from his feet. it seeems gary is a podiatrist and can issue ortotics but isnt an expert in ortitics

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 carraigard

Anybody gone to APOS outside Clarinbridge for their Orthotics? Any experiences /success or otherwise stories from them? I'm looking now to get Orthotics and wonder where should I go in Galway??

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭thegrayson

Try the Physiotherapy Dept at the Bon Secours in Renmore. They use the computer/ foot plate scanner to map your feet and place the order based on that. Give them a call for details 091- xxx.

thegrayson wrote: »
    Try the Physiotherapy Dept at the Bon Secours in Renmore. They use the computer/ foot plate scanner to map your feet and place the order based on that. Give them a call for details 091- xxx.

Thanks thegrayson for that, but I'm more keen to find somebody who uses the mould (plaster of paris) to design the orthotic. I dont see how standing on a pad (computer map) can pick up all the contours of the sole.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 tom fada

I have used Joan Madden Higgins on Middle Street over the past number of years and find her excellent. I was suffering terrible back problems and was in constant pain which was cured pretty quickly with orthotics. She will take a plaster casting of your feet as part of the consult and then has two types of product; a leather type which is the least expensive or a more robust leather clad ceramic orthotic costing approx. €440.
    The leather orthotics will not really last with heavy use whereas I have the ceramic type for three and a half years now and they are still perfect. I will admit it is originally an expensive outlay but I had lost more than that on doctors and medication not to mention the pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭thegrayson

You will find some info about the scanning here. It's not just about the shape of your foot but about the pressure areas etc. You can also see the orthotics available on the website.

Hi tomfada, have you had problems finding shoes that accommodate the orthotics? Or do you have to live in runners? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 24 tom fada

Unfortunately it can sometimes be difficult to get shoes to suit but it's a case of trial and error in the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I have custom orthotics, it's a bit more work finding shoes that fit them, but still possible. Some shoe-shop staff are more clued up than others: I've had one woman tell me that none of their shoes could be worn with 'em (rubbish), and others get impatient that trying on takes (a few seconds) longer. Found that the staff in Hynes are ok though, and I get most of my shoes there.

Actually, shoes are a good reason to get two pairs of orthotics made at the same time. If you only have one, and all your shoes were chosen to take the orthotics, then you have a problem when the orthotics need to go back to get re-covered etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 carebearbrian

I think you'll find what you're looking for here. www.walkerhealthcare.ie
    There's a sample of a plaster cast being taken on the website

• Registered Users Posts: 19 RubyTuesday

I went to Foot Solutions after getting shin splints from running. The orthotics were about 280€ but well worth with, there are a variety of materials you can get them in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 keredlp

As a clinician in the field, it is vital that people realise:

The foot only takes its functional shape in weight bearing (standing), so

1: that puts plaster of paris casting off the end of a bed out of the equation.

The foot is three dimensional, thus its movement is tri-planar, it moves from the front, side and above views to achieve the dual role of being a variable, shock-absorbing spring AND a rigid lever. For footplate systems this forces computers to provide "extrapolated data" of a 2-dimensional scan to interpret what the foot is doing in 3D

2: that makes these high-margin, low skill computerised systems a little misleading to the public and clinically flawed.

My favourite method is to use the sensible NAS assessment technique from ICB Medical. They have heat mouldable, dual density foot orthoses that come in four densities. The design is superb and they fit really well. More importantly my patients do really well at a minimal cost. I should note that I do now have an affiliation with them, but after 6 years of searching I finally found an off the shelf foot orthosis that I can measure, fit and have in the shoe, treadmill or walk tested, all in 30 minutes. This process including the item plus consultation should be around 100 euro.

For those who just don't get the correction needed, or have special needs, I use a foam box impression of a foot (in subtalar joint neutral...this means manipulating the foot into the correct alignment) in standing and send it to the good people at PPL in Cork for a quality, Irish made product. This costs a fair bit more but they get it right almost always and have good follow up support. I am also currently looking into using Firefly for some thinner shelled products.

Hope that helps a little.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement