Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed on bad signal, what new kit to get

Options
  • 14-09-2009 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I have a wireless network set up in an office and am having some issues with it. It's wireless G (the access point is a standard Linksys Wireless G). There are only 3 PCs accessing the network.

The trouble is that one of the rooms is out the back and at a lower level than the other 2. I've tried putting the access point in all 3 rooms, the most effective is in the middle but the lower level barely hits the network - the signal goes from Very Low to No Signal, and drops the connection intermittently.

I'd need some advice on how to boost the signal - if I bought another 1 of these access points, and put it in the lower level room, could I extend the network this way and have the 2 access points communicating? Would that make a difference?

If there are any other suggestions I'd love to have them. If it means buying a new piece of kit that's fine, but I wouldn't be able to buy all n standard cards/access point - would be too much of an outlay. Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

I know this forum isn't the most active - but anyone have any suggestions?

Is there a simple way to extend a wireless G network, that's already in place with a Linksys Access Point? If you have another access point - can these 2 share the network - would this do the job?

Thanks
    Neal

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Thoushaltnot

Have a look around for a "powerline adapter". You plug one end into a power point in the room where your router is and the other end gets plugged into a powerpoint on the same circuit in another room - in effect your electricity wires act as a one to one network cable for your signal.
    'Not sure about the exact details as I've never used one but that's where I'd start looking for a solution.

Something along the lines of this, methinks;

http://www.dabs.ie/products/bt-comtrend-powerline-hd-ethernet-female-kit-4Z2J.html?refs=4294954932

or read here;
    http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/01/22/review_netgear_hdx101/

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Cheers - never ever thought of that way around it! I found a decently priced Netgear one here - I might just go with this, unless there are any better suggestions

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Thoushaltnot

joker77 wrote: »
    Cheers - never ever thought of that way around it! I found a decently priced Netgear one here - I might just go with this, unless there are any better suggestions

1 thing - theres a mention of " :UK version" at the top and don't they have different plugs and sockets/mains voltage over there? (honestly, I can't remember!) The phone number is Irish, so I doubt they'd be selling you something you can't use here but just thought I'd point it out.

Originally, I was thinking of Lidl's Targa powerline adaptor pairs - useful discussion here;
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055382501

I wouldn't be surprised if this offer comes back soon, seeing as they were in store nearly exactly a year ago...

Advertisement