Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Audiobooks

Options
  • 14-09-2009 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭

HI,
    I'm looking for some audiobooks to listen to on my ipod. I like mainly factual stuff but also would read the odd bit of fiction.

I was looking at a few sights but I just was wondering are there any sites which are particular good in terms of value and quality?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭stabu

they be the good thing http://librivox.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭gaf1983

I've bought three on iTunes in the past year or so, namely The Audacity of Hope by Barack Obama, The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins and The War of the World: History's Age of Hatred by Niall Ferguson. Can't remember what I paid for them, think it was roughly a tenner or so each, really enjoyed each one of them, particularly because the author read the book in each case.

As far as I know most libraries have fairly extensive audiobook collections too.

I listened to a free downloaded version of Dickens' A Tale of Two Cities. To be honest I found the pace so slow that I ended up forking out the €2 in Eason's to buy the paperback version and read it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

HI,
    I'm looking for some audiobooks to listen to on my ipod. I like mainly factual stuff but also would read the odd bit of fiction.

I know it's not exactly what you asked for but BBC have a huge range of (generally) excellent factual podcasts and they are free. I listen to a lot of their history series and really enjoy them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭nitrogen

Anything by Malcolm Gladwell.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭mct1

A second vote for www.librivox.org. I've been downloading their (all free) books for a couple of years. The standard of the recordings is variable but generally good. At the moment I'm listening to Upton Sinclair's "King Coal" which has the same really professional reader's voice all the way through.

If you haven't already, you can download a small free program to turn these MP3s into bookmarkable audiobooks (they need to be changed to AAC format first).

I've also used http://freeclassicaudiobooks.com/ where you can choose to download bookmarkable audiobooks for iPod. "White Fang" is brilliant if you haven't read it. Also "Huckleberry Finn" (even if you have). Avoid any with computer generated voices though.

I've listened to a couple of duds, but I think that's more because some books just don't transfer well to audio rather than through any fault of the recording or the readers. Ironically (given one of the most current threads here) Conrad's "Heart of Darkness" came into this category.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭mcrdotcom

I think iTunes is way to expensive! Like 60 euro for some books! Libraries or free sites all the way!

Advertisement