Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poo Problem/Boxer Pup

Options
  • 14-09-2009 9:01pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 9

Hi All, new here and thought i might try boards for help. This is quite embarassing/difficult but I have an eight month old male boxer dog, who for the last 3 months has been eating his own poo.
    He is on eukanuba puppy/junior for large dogs at the moment but have tried most brands including royal canin and science plan.
    He is constantly hungry and no matter what amount I give him, he will devour it. The problem is that if i dont catch him doing it, to stop him, he ends up giving himself diarrhea.
    It is so bad that no sooner does he go, he turns around to eat it. Its turning me against the dog, im sorry to say and I wish I could find a solution. I have tried everything from putting pineapple in his food to putting tabasco on his poo but not always have I been quick enough to catch him in the act.
    The only way to stop him would be to stay with him 24/7 and this is impossible. The cleaning up aspect of this problem, ie. the mess he leaves is really stressing me out to the point of me wondering is having a dog as a pet worth the hassle

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭littlelady

its not nice I know, my pooch went through a phase of doing the same. Only thing you can do is stay vigilant. I used white pepper & it actually worked! I was getting quite worried & spoke to my vet, he told me to use the white pepper & then go back to him if that didnt work, fortunately it did.
    Best of luck, I know how gross it can be.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 9 canis lupos

Thank you, I will try anything at this stage ! Will let you know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭dmy1001

I feel your pain!!!!

i had the same issue with one of my dogs and it really really bothered me! it is important to note that it is apparently totally natural and of course they have no idea what they are doing is grossing us out:eek::D
    really the only thing that worked with us was being on the spot at toilet time.......ours go regularly on their morning walk and on their evening walk so it is possible to control now. even now though i have to keep watch (she is now 5) as if she gets an opportunity she will eat it! it really is a matter of not allowing the opportunity. my dogs also would eat raw onions if allowed, she never stops eating or scrounging for food:D
    can you do the same with your dogs walks?
    i did see that they had some tablets in the US for sale that you put in their food and apparently it turns them off eating their poo. my sister tried these with her dog over there and they worked. i have not seen them on sale here though.

Hi thanks for you post/advice. The prob with my dog is that he wont go during his walks, but only out in the yard :confused:. He also does anything between 8 to 12 a day so he would have about 4 done by the time I get down to him in the morning , 7:30 am and two of them would be eaten ! This evening for example he went soon after I gave him his dinner, I went out and picked it up but I checked on him again about ten minutes later and he had done another one and thus eaten it :mad:. If I could give him something to eat with his food like those tablets you mentioned, I would try that as its impossible to watch over him, especially when its getting dark. If you could tell me the name of the tabs, I will search them online, thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Ok, it sounds like the food isnt agreeing with him for a start. He def shouldnt be going that many times a day.

Also, you say the poo's are runny? they should be firm poos. I would look into changing his food to something different and see if that helps him.

Be very careful about buying tablets online, i would recommend going to your vet if you really think theres a serious problem.

• Advertisement

andreac wrote: »
    Ok, it sounds like the food isnt agreeing with him for a start. He def shouldnt be going that many times a day.

Also, you say the poo's are runny? they should be firm poos. I would look into changing his food to something different and see if that helps him.

Be very careful about buying tablets online, i would recommend going to your vet if you really think theres a serious problem.

hi, yes they are runny due to them being recycled. If I can stop him eating them, they stop being runny. I had a week off work and it meant I could watch over him better and stop him doing it, then they stopped being runny. the vet has been not much help and suggested the foods above. The feeding guidelines recommend 450g aprox(eukanuba), he gets 700g apox a day, he is still skinnny. I am sure its not a food problem, I have tried all the brands

Are you worming him regularly? How often are you changing the food as this can cause runny poo's. It needs to be done gradually and it can take a few week for runny poos to settle down after the change of food, as the system needs to adjust to new food.

Are you worming him regularly? How often are you changing the food as this can cause runny poo's. It needs to be done gradually and it can take a few week for runny poos to settle down after the change of food, as the system needs to adjust to new food.

Thank you for you for your post and I dont wish to offend here but to reiterate, the problem/issue i have is that he is eating his own poo(OP).
    This is kind of going off topic but, he is wormed at regular intervals, he is on the same food for the last 2 months. If I stop/prevent him eating his poo, my problem/his problem is solved. He has a poo eating habit(that I am trying to break) which in turn is causing subsequent problems as stated above.

I know what you are saying, but you are saying he is very skinny, which can be classic sign of worms if hes getting enough food, so thats why i asked.

I would try the pineapple again as most people swear by this, i would try and feed him when you can be around to watch him after and watch out for when he goes to the toilet and catch him before it happens.

I would def try the vet again, maybe geta 2nd opinion from another vet if your own one wasnt helpful enough.

I know what you are saying, but you are saying he is very skinny, which can be classic sign of worms if hes getting enough food, so thats why i asked.

I would try the pineapple again as most people swear by this, i would try and feed him when you can be around to watch him after and watch out for when he goes to the toilet and catch him before it happens.

I would def try the vet again, maybe geta 2nd opinion from another vet if your own one wasnt helpful enough.

Thanks, will keep you updated (just been outside and caught him in time !, now must go to bed !)

• Advertisement
Advertisement