Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Printer wont recognise my computers commands

• 14-09-2009 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

Hi All,
    I'm hoping someone will be able to advise.
    I have a Compaq computer. A few months ago my printer stopped working, after trying various things, I have just replaced it. However it turns out it wasn't my printer that has the problem...
    I have now installed a new HP F4280 printer, it installs correctly, and tells me my printer is connected and ready to go, however, when I go to print an eror message keeps coming up saying, ''Digital Imaging Toolbox Has Encountered A Problem And Needs To Close''. Then everything closes, included what I'm working on..
    I rang the company and they said to do a system recovery, I did this, then reinstalled my printer, still the same though...
    USB cables fine, ...etc etc
    I also was advised to download a thing called driver robot, doesnt do anything,..
    Its A WindowsXP, 2003 system.
    Can anyone avdvise, do I need a new computer. Just back at college, need to get this fixed..:eek:
    Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,193 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Like all things old and raggety (especially with these issues: drivers) I do reccomended backing up your files and reformatting the OS - doing a clean install straight to Service Pack 3 might make things run a hell of a lot smoother for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Sounds like its some printing programme trying to take command of the printers, can you uninstall any imaging programmes you might have installed in respect of the error message
    Digital Imaging Toolbox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Overheal wrote: »
    Like all things old and raggety (especially with these issues: drivers) I do reccomended backing up your files and reformatting the OS - doing a clean install straight to Service Pack 3 might make things run a hell of a lot smoother for you.
    That's a bit excessive for a printer problem. I woul ddefinitely go with the uninstall the printing software and try and just install the printer driver manually from printers and faxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,193 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I just heard 2003 and meaning that OS build has been live for 6 years: if thats your only problem with the machine, fair play. But I wager you have a dozen other nigglies that are bothering you right now that you are just "learning to live with".

But alright, download CCleaner (not a typo) and run the registry cleaner for a start (run it 2 or 3 times, it only takes a minute) And then from its Tools tab uninstall any program you no longer use. Start from scratch with the printer; uninstall any of its partner software for the minute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Ell69

I can scan and photocopy on this though, its just when I ask it to do anything related to the computer it shuts down..

Have you installed the latest drivers?

Probably best to uninstall the current printer drivers, then when setting it up again use the drivers from the website and not the old ones on the installation CD.

Ell69 wrote: »
    I can scan and photocopy on this though, its just when I ask it to do anything related to the computer it shuts down..

Deffo uninstall that programme and any others like it, then reboot
    It sounds like theres no issue with the printers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

I deal with calls like this every day:D

Uninstall and reinsall your printer drivers

BVB wrote: »
    I deal with calls like this every day:D

Then you should also know that he had tried two differnt printers, both with the same error. hes just installed a brand new printer with drivers so how is re-installing it going to help.
    The error hes getting is pointing to an application that has failed to command the print request, nothing to do with drivers IMO

• Advertisement

Digital Imaging Toolbox is part of the HP driver / software as far as I know.

Updating of the driver to the latest from the HP website should be the first port of call.

:confused:I went on to the printer website, and there was a link to check to see if I had the latest version of available drivers, it says I have.
    Even if I try to print a basic word prosessing sheet it closes, I get the usual eror message...''Microsoft Works has encountered a problem and needs to close''...
    Same if I try to print from the net...''Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close''.
    Me thinks I need a new computer, would you think so??:confused:

:confused:I went on to the printer website, and there was a link to check to see if I had the latest version of available drivers, it says I have.
    Even if I try to print a basic word prosessing sheet it closes, I get the usual eror message...''Microsoft Works has encountered a problem and needs to close''...
    Same if I try to print from the net...''Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close''.
    Me thinks I need a new computer, would you think so??:confused:

I have seen this before, and it can be a corrupt driver that is causing the problem. If you just delete the driver and reinstall it still keeps a lot of the original files in your system32. I have had to manually delete these files to stop this happening with a printer before.

It's not something I would recommend to try if you're not sure what you're doing.

Ok, Can you tell me how to do this? Or would you not recomend it.:)

Ok, Can you tell me how to do this? Or would you not recomend it.:)
    I know a website that gives a great step by step, but it must be gone because it keeps timing out.

Basically in Printers and faxes you go to File - Server properties - and select the Drivers Tab.

Highlight the printer in question and click on Properties.

It will bring up a new window with a list of files. Mostly .DLL's and .DAT's.

It also gives a file path like this. C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3

You go to that file path and delete each of the files in the list.

It is best to save these files somewhere before deleting them so if you see any problems you can copy them back in there.

This completely removes the driver.

Now try reinstalling the driver, preferably from the web not the CD which may have been the original problem.

You should be fine if you're careful about what you delete. And ALWAYS KEEP A BACKUP before permanently deleting these type of files.

Advertisement