Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PL to introduce squad cap etc

• 14-09-2009 10:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭

so the PL are going to introduce a squad cap and a quota on home grown players from next season

pl also going to impose tougher penalties on clubs in financial difficulty

source ssn

it seems you have to have 8 home grown players with 3 years of experience of playing afaik
    (something along those lines)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭ANTIFA!

will home grown include foreign players who have been poached by english clubs(random irish 16 year olds, cesc fabregas, random french 15 year olds etc.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

MikeySligo wrote: »
    Hopefully.

why hopefully ?

From the 2010/11 campaign, the 20 Premier League clubs have voted to introduce measures which will see all teams required to have eight home-grown players out of a squad of 25.

Chief executive Richard Scudamore confirmed the changes, with clubs only able to make alterations to their squads during the two transfer windows.

"As of next season clubs will be required to have a squad named of up to 25 players, of which no more than 17 can be over the age of 21 and not home grown," Scudamore said.

"The definition of home grown is trained for three years under the age of 21 by somebody in the English and Welsh professional system.

"Clubs will have to declare their 25 at the end of August when the window shuts and then again at the end of January."
    Incentive

Scudamore does not believe the move will encourage clubs to hoard young foreign players and claims the England team will ultimately reap the reward.

"It's not in the club's interests to stockpile players. It will make buying home-grown talent more attractive," he said.

"We're not going down the route of a nationality test but what this will mean is that you just can't buy a team from abroad.

"We think it will give clubs an extra incentive to invest in youth. We think that one of the benefits will be that it will help the England team."

All 20 Premier League members also agreed to adhere to a set of financial reporting rules designed to protect the viability and sustainability of the clubs.

Finances

"They will all have to annually submit accounts and future financial information," said Scudamore.

"At all times the board of the Premier League will be applying a test which basically says this: can the club fulfil its fixtures, pay off its creditors when they are due and also to meet obligations to the Premier League's contracts and partners?

"If the board believe a club is at risk of not meeting those obligations, it has to then step in and agree a budget for the running of that club. Any transfers can be embargoed.

"It's absolutely crucial that these clubs are run as ongoing viable concerns. These financial rules apply immediately.

"This is tied in, and we passed the rule during the summer, to a 'fit and proper person test'. At our club meeting last week, the clubs absolutely endorsed our position of not linking expenditure to income."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Headshot wrote: »
    so the PL are going to introduce a squad cap and a quota on home grown players from next season

source ssn

it seems you have to have 8 home grown players with 3 years of experience of playing afaik
    (something along those lines)

United have double that number of English players in this years squad so it won't affect them too badly. some of the other top 4 will have problem if this is true. Chelsea cuurently only have 7 and they can't buy anyone for the next two windows. Arsenal currently have 3 and Livepool have 9 or 10 I think.

The Muppet wrote: »
    United have double that number of English players in this years squad so it won't affect them too badly. some of the other top 4 will have problem if this is true.

think we have 19 but Liverpool and arsenal have less than the 8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I can't help but feel this will be detrimental to Irish players. A couple of seasons ago for example Stephen Ireland was performing a bit patchy for City and there were questions over his future. They decided to stick with him and have reaped the rewards. If this system had been in place back then though would they have perhaps decided to discard him more easily as a result, and prioritised the likes of Michael Johnson over him based on the latter's nationality?

I'm sure it will help England and English players but it will make competititon all the more tougher for foreign players and if Irish players find it tougher to break into top English clubs then I can't see how that's a good thing for the national team's prospects.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

United have double that number of English players in this years squad so it won't affect them too badly. some of the other top 4 will have problem if this is true. Chelsea cuurently only have 7 and they can't buy anyone for the next two windows. Arsenal currently have 3 and Livepool have 9 or 10 I think.

It is not based on nationality so Arsenal have a lot more than 3.

The financial element will ibe interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Liverpool have 10 english nationals in their current squad.

EDIT
    OPENROAD wrote: »
    It is not based on nationality so Arsenal have a lot more than 3.
    I see taht now in headshots second post, (cross psoting)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

why hopefully ?

I was being sarcastic.
    If an English player is good enough, he will make it.
    Forcing clubs to name squads like this can only reduce the quality and they will be reversing this decision within a few years.

I can't help but feel this will be detrimental to Irish players. A couple of seasons ago for example Stephen Ireland was performing a bit patchy for City and there were questions over his future. They decided to stick with him and have reaped the rewards. If this system had been in place back then though would they have perhaps decided to discard him more easily as a result, and prioritised the likes of Michael Johnson over him based on the latter's nationality?

I'm sure it will help England and English players but it will make competititon all the more tougher for foreign players and if Irish players find it tougher to break into top English clubs then I can't see how that's a good thing for the national team's prospects.

ya an agent was on ssn a while back saying for ireland it will be bad
    Liverpool have 10 in their current squad.
    edit
    my mistake they have 8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

In the case of Stephen Ireland he will be considered a home grown talent because he joined City's youth set up when he was 15, the article quoted that Scudamore said
    "The definition of home grown is trained for three years under the age of 21 by somebody in the English and Welsh professional system.
    and
    "We're not going down the route of a nationality test but what this will mean is that you just can't buy a team from abroad.
    I don't think this will affect the clubs at all to be honest, for example the da Silva twins from Utd will count as home grown. Also, will Hargreaves count as home grown? even though his nationality in English he never trained with an English side until he joined Utd, so by Scudamores definition he shouldn't be considered home grown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

liverpool have 9 english born players in this years champions league squad of 28

martin, johnson, amoo, carragher, darby, kelly, gerrard, spearing, eccleston

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

These rules sound the same as the ones applied by UEFA to the CL... so I don't see there being any great change here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,108 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

i dont like the way it says the named squad of 25 can only be changed during the 2 transfer windows. This means if some youth has had a great season and come on leaps and bounds that they wont get their chance. Last year for example, Macheda would not have been eligible to play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

under EU law they cant restrict trade based on nationality so it will have to be the same as the champions league.
    Therefore the arsenal youngsters a la fabregas, clichy et al would count, providing they train at arsenal for the designated time.

Probably a good idea, but it will be interesting how it pans out in the first couple of years

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

How will the financial element to this work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

How will they define this, I wonder?

Trading difficulties? Debt?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

This will never affect any club managed by Martin O'Neil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

stovelid wrote: »
    How will they define this, I wonder?

Trading difficulties? Debt?
    Scudamore said
    "They will all have to annually submit accounts and future financial information," said Scudamore.

"At all times the board of the Premier League will be applying a test which basically says this: can the club fulfil its fixtures, pay off its creditors when they are due and also to meet obligations to the Premier League's contracts and partners?

"If the board believe a club is at risk of not meeting those obligations, it has to then step in and agree a budget for the running of that club. Any transfers can be embargoed.
    By the sounds of that it won't matter how much debt a club is in so long as they can show that they will be able to meet repayments, I would imagine they just want to keep a closer eye on the clubs to make sure there are no more clubs going the way Leeds went and it won't mean much for the majority of clubs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Not long til the Premier League is a U-21 English players only league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

ANTIFA! wrote: »
    will home grown include foreign players who have been poached by english clubs(random irish 16 year olds, cesc fabregas, random french 15 year olds etc.)

Yep, once they've been at a British club for 3 years before their squad selection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    i dont like the way it says the named squad of 25 can only be changed during the 2 transfer windows. This means if some youth has had a great season and come on leaps and bounds that they wont get their chance. Last year for example, Macheda would not have been eligible to play.

Im not sure how this works, but from what i've heard earlier,

any player younger than the 21 that isn't named in the squad can still play.

It's my understanding that they have to name a squad of 25 with 8 of these "homegrown" players, just means new transfers can't be registered untill the next window - which makes sense anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

this is a necessary change imo and a good one.
    If a club can only register 25 players then youth will definitely get a chance in all teams

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

This is all very worrying.

Where's that Madrid scarf?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Im not sure how this works, but from what i've heard earlier,

any player younger than the 21 that isn't named in the squad can still play.

It's my understanding that they have to name a squad of 25 with 8 of these "homegrown" players, just means new transfers can't be registered untill the next window - which makes sense anyways.

This is true. The A side is made up of first teamers and the quote while the B team is anyone under 21. Both are eligible. For example, Arsenal would have an eligible squad of 45 because they have 20 surplus B team members

19. Jack Wilshere
    24. Vito Mannone
    28. Kieran Gibbs
    30. Armand Traore
    33. Nacer Barazite
    34. Kyle Bartley
    36. Thomas Cruise
    37. Craig Eastmond
    39. Cedric Evina
    41. Emmanuel Frimpong
    43. Conor Henderson
    44. Gavin Hoyte
    46. Luke Ayling
    47. Rhys Muprhy
    48. Mark Randall
    49. James Shea
    51. Gilles Sunu
    52. Nicklas Bendtner
    53. Wojciech Szczesny
    54. Sanchez Watt

Whereas Chelsea only have 3

Rhys Taylor, Jeffrey Bruma, Gaël Kakuta (WHOOPS)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

rossie1977 wrote: »
    liverpool have 9 english born players in this years champions league squad of 28

martin, johnson, amoo, carragher, darby, kelly, gerrard, spearing, eccleston

Insua will count as well if I'm not mistaken? We should be alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

This will have very little impact on the top 4/6 of the premiership because of the CL restrictions already in place but could make life very difficult for a couple of other clubs.

This is terrible news for the Irish national team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,592 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

This sort of thing could really put more pressure regarding the release of players on international duty, especially friendlies. Knowing the squads will now be limited, the risk of injuries is a lot higher seeing as there are only two windows to change the registered 25.

Teams like Chelsea who generally have a few at the African Nations are going to have seriously depleted teams for the run-in. If they have to keep 4 or 5 players registered but "away", and if they have even 2 or more injuries, hypathetically they might not even have enough registered squad players to fill the teamsheet and bench.

I think it should be a bit like the baseball system, that if a player is injured he can be placed on a disabled list for 15 or 60 days and a replacement can be registered in his place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,592 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

This will have very little impact on the top 4/6 of the premiership because of the CL restrictions already in place but could make life very difficult for a couple of other clubs.

This is terrible news for the Irish national team.

I think it will have an impact, a reduced squad means that you won't be able to play the "reserve" team 3 days before or after a big CL game, and instead you'll have to force the CL teams to continuously play the same squads, with more of a risk of injury and less recovery time between appearances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

Does it apply outside the top flight? Think its good for football. Hopefully will stop the like or a Rossi etc having a better chance at united in future.

Also I dont think this effects top clubs as they all want to get foreign players in at 17 rather than paying massive fees when they hit 20.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

As far as the Irish team are concerned it's a matter of taking hand and all if an english or welsh club look to sign you at 18. It would hugely increase your chances of joining a top tier squad later on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I could be wrong, but I think these are all of Arsenals home grown players in the first team squad and then the majority of players in the reserves and youths are either English or qualify as homegrown:
    1. Mannone
    2. Szczesny
    3. Senderos
    4. Song
    5. Djourou
    6. Clichy
    7. Gibbs
    8. Traore
    9. Fabregas
    10. Denilson
    11. Ramsey
    12. Wilshere
    13. Merida
    14. Walcott
    15. Bendtner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

No more magic airplanes for the next Keith Faheys if this comes in.

Advertisement